“Clean, spacious, well-lit...weak on style”
Review of Hotel Independence

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Segou
Hotel Independence
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Segou
Reviewed December 8, 2013

The hotel is fairly large, and well laid out, with attractive landscaping. Our room was large, well-lit (RARE) and clean. In addition to our bed, there was a twin bed, a large counter top/desk, a frig and a TV (but no English programing). The bathroom had an open shower. Our room had little style. The restaurant provided good albeit unremarkable meals. Service was friendly and attentive. Breakfast was served in an attractively landscaped garden. The hotel is on the main road on the eastern edge of town. There is no where to walk to from the hotel that seemed interesting (shops, restaurants, etc.)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 4, 2012

The best thing I can say about the Hotel Independence is that it has free WiFi and hot water. Outside of Bamako, that's cause for major celebration. The rooms are very small and questionably clean. I didn't trust the cleanliness of the linens. Thankfully, I always travel with pieces of fabric that can double as sheets, pillow covers and/or towels.

If you have any valuables, you have the option of leaving them in the safe at the front desk, or unattended in your room. Since there's no telling how many people may have access to the room, I opted for the front desk. The problem is that the front desk closes at 10:30pm. If you come in after that (which I did every night because we were attending the festival) and want to read your kindle or go online, you're out of luck.

The "included" breakfast consists of bread and tea/coffee/juice (not orange). Everything else is extra. One morning, the waiter brought orange juice instead of the regular juice we'd had the previous days. We didn't specifically ask for this. It was good though, so we requested it for the remainder of our stay. Imagine our surprise when it appeared on our bill at check-out. We were also charged for the eggs/plain omlettes, yet had never been informed they were extra.

Overall, the Hotel Independence is a decent place to stay. I didn't see the rooms at the sister hotel L'Auberge, but the food there is definitely better. Aside from breakfast, I had one very unimpressive lunch at Hotel Independence. I did, however, return to L'Auberge for several meals during my stay in Segou.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night during our week long trip in Mali. The Lebanese brothers who own this hotel also own the Hotel Auberge, which is in a more central location on the Niger. I have heard it it better, but this one is a good option if you want to avoid the hustle and bustle of the city. The best thing about this hotel was the food, which included some African , Lebanese and Continental options. The hummous was a delightful welcome. The internet connection was a bit spotty, but by Malian standards, worked better here than many other higher class hotels. The rooms were clean, but we did not get any hot water in the evening or morning. One disappointment was that breakfast was supposed to be included in our tour package, and we ordered eggs. We were told after by the hotel that we needed to pay for breakfast because eggs were not included, but no one told us ahead of time (and we were one of the only guests there). I thought this was a bit cheap of them.

Room Tip: There is a center across the street that shows how mudcloth is made...we didnt have time to check it...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2011

This hotel, like its sister L'Auberge in the centre of Segou, is run by two Lebanese brothers. It is no great shakes in design terms, but it is cosy and it works. The food is good, the pool is inviting. It has a lived-in feeling, but that does not mean run-down. A good option in Segou.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank magnolia5
Reviewed February 23, 2011

I am an American living in Dakar, Senegal and working throughout West Africa. I have stayed in many hotels throughout the region. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this hotel considering its location far from Bamako. The staff were helpful and polite. Here are the ups and downs I noticed during my stay:

Downs:

1) The mattresses and pillows are NOT soft. They weren't as uncomfortable as I thought they would be when I first sat on the bed, but they were definitely abnormally stiff. The sheets were also pretty scratchy.

2) The drains in the bathroom were emitting a very strong sewage smell. This is common in West Africa, but I thought they might have plugs/covers for the drains to prevent this. They didn't, but I was able to close the bathroom door and open the window in there and keep the smell from getting into the rest of the room.

3) Although the staff was very polite and welcoming, when we arrived, the person at the reception desk couldn't tell us how much our rooms would be. We had to check in and ask the owner several hours later (our office made our reservations, so we didn't know the price for sure). Also, when we wanted to pay our bill the night before checking out, we had to wait for the owner to be available.

Ups:

1) The staff WAS very polite and helpful. They notified us that there was a large group staying in the hotel and let us order our dinner in advance so that we could be sure to get what we wanted. They even prepared our dinner early for us both nights. In addition, when the air conditioner wasn't working in my room, the hotel owner got up from his dinner to take care of it and quickly switched me to a room with a working a/c.

2) The rooms were dark, cold, and quiet at night. The a/c worked great (after changing rooms) and was almost silent. It should be noted that the hotel sometimes has drumming presentations, which they did on the first night of our stay, but it ended by 9 or 9:30, so it wasn't disruptive of sleeping.

3) The pool liked very inviting and pretty clean. Although I didn't have time to take advantage of it, it looked great.

4) The food was quite good. I had two different recipes of capitaine fish during my stay and both were pretty good. They brought a LOT of food for a reasonable price (around 5,000 CFA/$10.00).

5) The price was quite reasonable - 23,000 CFA per night.

6) The free wi-fi was working and easy to access. It was very slow, but I think that's probably as good as it gets in Segou.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 30, 2010

The entrance foyer doubles as the bar, with dining room off it. There is a nice courtyard garden with trees, where you can eat outside, and the evening I was there there was a live african dance/music performance. The rooms are separate from the main building - a bit like chalets - but mine was quite large - in fact there were 2 beds, desk, TV, AC and shower room. There was a lovely outdoor swimming pool with loungers. I only had breakfast and one evening meal there and the food was average. It is run by Lebanese brothers apparently and there was Tabbouleh and Cuisses de grenouilles (frogs legs) on the menu, as well as the usual chicken, steak, rice, couscous. It was quite a way out of town - too far to walk, and just on the main road, surrounded by shops/businesses.

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed July 29, 2009

The room is simple and the decoration could use some work, but it is clean, it has a working air conditioning unit, a small tv with cable and wifi which is accesible in our room. There's also a swimming pool which we didn't use.
The staff is helpful and friendly. There are limited choices for food. The salad and sandwiches were good, but dinner was only O.K.
It is my first trip to Africa. I don't know much about the standards of malian hotels, but it seems that, at least in Segou, they don't get much better than this.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Independence? Share your experiences!