“Beautiful lodge”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nkhata Bay
Zulunkhuni River Lodge
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Beautiful lodge”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed here while volunteering in Ruarwe this summer, and everything was awesome! The staff were so friendly and the food, bar and facilities were unparalleled in Malawi, the setting was so beautiful and the waterfall walk and balcony jump nearby provided a lot of fun.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I have now stayed at Zulunkhuni Lodge twice when volunteering in Ruarwe, both experiences have been amazing. A very comfortable place with a choice of different rooms to stay in, the stone room is by far the best! Zulunkuni has very friendly staff and owners who are very helpful and Ruarwe is a beautiful place that anyone visiting Malawi should definitely visit.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Nottingham
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I camped here for 3 weeks during Summer 2012, and would recommend it to anyone! I would challenge anybody to come here without feeling relaxed! The company was great (owners and staff very friendly and helpful), drinks were in surplus and the lodge had everything required! As well as this the lodge was knitted nicely into the local community and there were always enough locals to challenge you to a game of Bao.
The shores of lake Malawi were great to swim in, and jumping in off the balcony and big rock are very fun!
NB to all campers; the grass feels like memory foam and I was shocked at how well I slept in a tent for 3 weeks! (I assume this is some type of natural fertilizer native to Zhulunkuni which makes the grass so comfortable)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Volunteered in Ruarwe this summer for 3 weeks and stayed at Zulunkhuni lodge, amazing place so gorgeous and chilled out. Would recommend it to anyone, lovely owners and staff, comfortable accommodation and delicious food. Wish I had been able to stay longer- will most definitely be back sometime in the future!

Room Tip: The stone house is lush!
Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
London, England
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I was at Zulunkhuni for 3 weeks volunteering in Ruarwe with Phunzira. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this incredible lodge set on the shores of Lake Malawi, and It has to be one of the most amazing places I have been. The lodge itself has everything you need, hot showers, treated water, bar and restaurant which serves amazing food. To complement all of this the owners and staff were extremely friendly, constantly going out of their way to make our stay as good as can be. It had a big community feel to it and was sorry to leave. I will most definately be going back and If travelling to Malawi you would be mad to not visit this amazing place. Also you have to try the home grown/roasted coffee!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2012

It's been nearly a month since I was at the lodge, where I stayed whilst volunteering with Phunzira.

A great place to stay in a fabulous setting just as nature intended. Not only is the landscape breathtaking with many activities to do but the people and service at the lodge is brilliant.
Everyone is willing to go out of their way to make your stay amazing and the food is very good considering the remote location. There is a friendly atmosphere amongst visitors, volunteers and owners which made it homely.

The Ilala ferry wasn't running when I went, but even travelling by "Jack's boat" was worth it. So will I be going back? Absolutely!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I've stayed at Zulunkhuni twice now and I am sure that I will be back again! Zulunkhuni is in a remote village in rural Malawi. It offers wonderful views of the lake and is in an area with really wonderful people. On my first trip I arrived by Ilala which was a very easy journey and we were met in the village by staff from the lodge. On my second trip we came and went by local boat with takes longer but is just as fun and we were dropped and collected right from the beach at the lodge.

The staff are wonderful and really attentive, the rooms are all clean and have everything you could wish for and there is plenty of room for camping. As other shave said, there is a shared bathroom with flushing toilet and clean water for hands/teeth and a shower with hot water in the evenings.

The food is amazing - vegetarian but with so many options for breakfast and lunch and a wonderful set dinner each evening.

I would (and have) recommended this lodge to everyone - it really is a little, peaceful paradise and I am already plotting my return!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
#2 of 7 in Nkhata Bay
Makuzi Beach Lodge
Makuzi Beach Lodge
#2 of 5 in Chintheche
Nkukuti Resort & Conference Centre (CBR)

Been to Zulunkhuni River Lodge? Share your experiences!