“Best place for people looking to be more than tourists/outsiders”
Review of Butterfly Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nkhata Bay
Butterfly Lodge
Reviewed September 8, 2012

Butterfly has the best combination of a lakeside lodge vibe and a volunteer center, as is the goal. Community projects are extremely well thought out and implemented well thanks to so many committed volunteers but moreso because of Josie and AJ, the owners. So many opportunities to get involved if you're flexible and the tiniest bit resourceful. Dorms are clean and nice, never tried the hot shower but hear its awesome, compost toilets are a great idea, and dinner is always hot and good (although you can find cheaper no western food in the area that's just as good). Come here if you care more about who you meet and what you learn/give back than the thread count of your sheets. Views from the restaurant and beach are also amazing, and the bar is a great place to meet many of the local beach boys.

• Stayed: August 2012
There are newer reviews for Butterfly Lodge

Reviewed August 7, 2012

The people are not friendly, just kind like everywhere in Malawi. The room is dirty... I think they never clean it! The toilet is so disgusting that I can't you use it. And it is the first time in Malawi! Inside many malawian try to sell you some marijuana... So strange because it is not allowed in Malawi! the food is good but there are so many ants on your table and on your chair that you can't still sit down on it! At the end the view is not so nice and much better at Mayoka village. And the camp is very dark and could be dangerous at night. Definitely go to the next door Mayoka (good room, clean toilet, very nice view aand good restaurant) !!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Desroches A
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Nife view and crew at the place!

Hope to go back soon and have a bed to spend good times at a nice atmosphere!

Haroldo Junior - Santa Catarina- Brazil

Room Tip: You can see all of them before you choose yours!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Haroldo J
Reviewed January 22, 2012

Butterfly offers nice camping space. It has community projects that would allow you to meet with friendly locals

Room Tip: Bring your tent
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 25, 2011

My wife and I were regulars at Butterfly Space during our year long stay in Malawi. Some lodges are just places to stay, others become part of your life and this is certainly one of the rare places that fall into the latter category.

Whether you are passing through for a few days or want a prolonged stay and the opportunity to really integrate yourself in the culture, this is the perfect place to go.

The lodge offers a load of projects that you can work on and its links with and support for the local community are, in my experienced, unrivalled.

The hosts offer slick management and are on hand for everything you need and the staff are incredibly friendly and accommodating.

It is also one of the only lodges in the bay that has its own beach.

I wish I was there now! Don't miss out!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank willmitting
Reviewed September 7, 2010

I recently travelled to Malawi by myself. I was really nervous about arriving some new especially having spent some time in the capital which was quite hectic. I got to Butterfly and there was a great vibe. The two owners realised I was by myself and introduced me to some of the long term volunteers who were also staying there. The food was great and the communal style dinners eaten together made the whole process much easier. I ended up staying for longer than I planned. I had no problems with security whilst I was there. If you are looking for a friendly chilled environment I would def recommend staying at Butterfly.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank LondonRachelN
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I stayed here with my husband for six days and had the most perfect time. The place is set in the most picturesque backdrop and the two owners are simply delights!

I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Nkhata Bay
Makuzi Beach Lodge
Makuzi Beach Lodge
#2 of 5 in Chintheche

Been to Butterfly Lodge? Share your experiences!