“Great ravioli, not great pizza”
Review of Chez Angeline

Chez Angeline
Ranked #13 of 60 Restaurants in Nosy Be
Cuisines: African, Italian, Pizza, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 29, 2018 via mobile

We had dinner here one evening and it was a mixed bag. The staff are attentive and friendly and my crab ravioli was quite nice really (a miracle really considering we're in Madagascar). My husband's pizza however wasn't great and there are far better pizzas to be had in town.

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank Ali_travels2

Reviewed August 24, 2018 via mobile

I could write the same review about many restaurants here.

We ordered and waited and waited without even a starter.

If a restaurant decides to have 20 tables than they have to organize their kitchen staff to serve 20 tables.

After waiting one hour and not even receiving our starter I left some money on the table for our drinks and left.

It’s not listed on this site but I recommend highly the Restaurant next door called Dagli Amici. I’ve eaten there 4 times. Excellent service. Excellent food.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed October 13, 2017 via mobile

We knew this place very soon during our holiday. Without doubt, Chez Angeline is the best one restaurant of this wonderful island.
Fresh food every day, nice workers team, and excellent master chef, that one mr. LELIO from Naples and Rome.
You can't leave Nosy Be without tasting his unbelievable kitchen, in French, Italian or Malagasi way...
Chez Angeline number one!!!
Greetings from Uganda!

Date of visit: October 2017
1  Thank Giampiero M
Reviewed March 31, 2017

Do not hesitate to stop by, the owner of the restaurant is great guy who is not only giving you great tips for dining but for any other helps you need. He did help to us - Grazie !

Date of visit: March 2017
1  Thank Branko S
Reviewed March 8, 2016

This place is hard to recognize, because the seating area isn't directly facing the road like other places in Ambatoloaka. Rather it's a small entrance (with manicured plants) and a small sign above it, at an intersection near the end of the strip. Inside is a nice atmosphere with all the trees and the individual booths/umbrellas for eating under... or further inside for more normal indoor style seating. The only problem with the atmosphere is that the "outdoor" seating is closer to the road and you might hear local taxi drivers arguing with each other or that sort of thing.

The menu is quite a bit more than average in Madagascar, and right up there with the other most expensive places in Ambatoloaka (main dishes between 16,000-20,000 or more). But man, it's worth it! My wife got a calzone that was excellent. I got something (sorry, forgot the name, but it started with an "I" I think) that was a thin steak rolled around ham and cheese and smothered in a wine sauce. I got it with grilled vegetables as the side. It was definitely the best meal I've had in Ambatoloaka or in Madagascar in a LONG time. Heck, it was better than almost all the food I ate during a three-month trip to South Africa. It was really that good. The grilled vegetables themselves were the best accompagnement I've had in Madagascar, so definitely get that with any meal you order there. They were simply done, but delicious.

The one problem is that the waitress was probably the least friendly we've had in Ambatoloaka so far. That's not to say she was that bad (most of Ambatoloaka has excellent service) but she made some bad faces and generally didn't seem happy to serve.

Date of visit: March 2016