1,244 results
All reviews true paradise sandy beach amenities structure tourists excursions boat sea madagascar
Selected filters
Reviewed October 23, 2018

We’d like to sincerely thank Margarita, Elizabeth, Marco and all the wonderful staff at Amarina for helping to make our honeymoon so special! The resort is situated on a private beach that leaves you no choice but to unplug and let all your worries melt away with the incredible sunsets. Plenty of space to find a quiet spot to watch the tide roll in and out. There is an intimacy at Amarina you rarely feel at other resorts. The warmth and attention to detail the team put out during our stay made us feel like a welcome part of their family.

As others have mentioned in their reviews, this is an Italian style resort albeit with a Malagasy twist. The primary language spoken is Italian and the food is also Italian themed. Neither of these were issues for us as everyone went out of their way to speak English when possible including the other guests. And the food, we loved it!! Typically after a few days, buffet style food starts to taste the same but the tastemakers at Amarina have created a menu that is varied in its nuance. Each day we were pleasantly surprised by wide range of savoury food options available to choose from. The daily fresh catch was always a highlight, grilled and seasoned to perfection.

The excursions team was fantastic and passionate about showing guests a great time. We were very fortunate to swim with giant whale sharks and sea turtles while visiting some of the nearby islands off Nosy Be.

Overall, the combination of great accommodation, delicious food and top quality treatment have left a vivid memory for us to cherish for years to come.
We can’t wait to come back!

Date of stay: October 2018
Reviewed October 2, 2018

I will preface this review with 1) I am a native English speaker and 2) This was only the second time I've stayed in an all-inclusive hotel.

Amarina was the last hotel we stayed in on a long trip around the country. I was ready for some serious R&R - which you get with amenities all in close proximity. The hotel is isolated - don't plan to do a lot of travel by car. The hotel does have a limited number of boat trips you can take however. They also have PADI instructors for all you divers. At the hotel, you also have 24/7 power (a definite plus). Rooms are clean, there is A/C, wifi works in the main areas, the capirinhas at the bar are delicious, sunsets are beautiful, beach is long and white. Food at the restaurant is decent, but not life changing. Skip dessert. Overall - the set up isn't bad.

However - believe the other reviews when they state that everyone - I mean everyone - here is speaking Italian. Oh boy. I was expecting a language barrier of Malagasy or French when my husband and I traveled to Madagascar, but Italian - no. Literally everything is in Italian. Menu, activities, beach hands, etc. etc. and on and on. Which turns out to be pretty amusing if you're patient, but gets old. Also about half the staff tend to just walk away from you when you say "english only". As a result you definitely miss out on finding out about what is available around the hotel in terms of activities, etc.

If you can get past the fact that this is a resort by Italians, for Italians, you'll be OK. With one exception - the music they play on repeat is truly awful. Its everywhere. Its in the restaurant, its blasting on the beach (some type of house music, and not the good kind), it competes with water aerobics music at the pool. There is a hotel staffer that is stuck singing karaoke in the bar all afternoon and into the evenings (she's got a good voice - but why the karaoke I will never understand). All the music is a bizarre mix of 80s and 90s one-hit wonders and pop music rejects. We stayed six days and I heard the same songs at least 18 times between breakfast, lunch and dinner. The first day its entertaining... but it doesn't last long since it literally is inescapable except for if you retreat to your room.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this place to my friends. I don't know any Italians, even if I did... I don't know... Possible that I'd recommend the hotel if they paid the $15USD a month for a Spotify subscription. Play some reggae, or some local tunes, or some buddha-bar, or big band classics, anything really. But I recommend you change it up.

Date of stay: September 2018
2  Thank Ashley A
Reviewed July 15, 2018

We have just completed a week long honeymoon at Amarina and it was fantastic. The resort is true paradise with its perfect beach, flat sea and warm weather. The pool, bar area and restaurant are close together, well run and just great facilities. The rooms are spacious, clean, and comfortable. The excursions are pricy but absolutely worth it.

But, there has to be a but . . .

What we did not know is that most of this resort has been booked out for a very long time by a large Italian Travel Agency. So this meant that we were the only English speaking guests and most of the staff don’t speak English. Those that do, were very helpful and went out of their way to help us, but the fact remains all the menus, daily plans, food labels, excursions, TV etc are in Italian. Sometimes it could be quite frustrating trying to get help with something. The tour company did go out of their way to ensure there was a guide on each excursion that could speak a little English though, so I must thank them.

As brilliant as this resort is, I would rather go back to a more international resort in future just to ensure more socializing and an easier stay.

It was however still amazing and very much enjoyed.

Room tip: They are all the same, very close to the beach
Date of stay: July 2018
1  Thank 556ryani
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My family stayed at this resort for a week in November and it was an absolutely perfect vacation.
The grounds are gorgeous, the beach and pool were both awesome, the rooms were clean and the staff was very helpful and friendly although most did not speak English. The food in the restaurant was delicious. We were the only Americans there and on Thanksgiving day the chef prepared us a private Thanksgiving feast. Chameleons were in the bushes and trees all around the resort and we spent many hours photographing the beautiful chameleons. There's several different excursions you can take from the hotel to different islands, different towns and the rainforest. We mostly relaxed and enjoyed the resort and amenities but did spend one day taking photographs in the rain forest and another afternoon sight seeing in the near by villages.

Date of stay: November 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
2  Thank Jann B
Reviewed November 15, 2012

very good hotel for the property and calm;sea was warm ,what a pleasure!
staff is realy friendly and want the best for you.personnal's chamber came twice a day,even in the evening,it's rare.the typical village is near the hotel and you can walk by your own,behind the hotel.We like too the excursions to another isles and were happy to find the confort in the evening.very good holidays.

Date of stay: October 2012