“give to caesar what belongs to caesar!!!!!”
Review of Hotel Palm Beach

Hotel Palm Beach
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Kotu
Reviewed March 12, 2013

After reading reviews on here I was very dubious as whether to go or not(as I like to travel alone). There was absolutely no need to worry . The initial shock of everyone trying to help with your bags (at airport,coach, hotel for a sm.price) once arrival at hotel everything settled down to a quiet pace.Lamin at reception was a god send- anything was available . Assan/Max at the bar. Gallow at breakfast. Roomus my lovely maid ( I know ive spelt it wrong, sorry sweetie)plus all the wonderful security lads. Thanks Taiba for late night hot water.The hotel is dated in a sense but remember its on the beach and it is a 3RD world country . The staff are very friendly although they work all hours and keep the hotel rooms and grounds in great condtion.(Note to management-- you may not have the best hotel on the coast but you have the best team of happy staff that i have met in a long time....keep hold of them all. they are your trump card.
Two minutes out the back door and you are on miles of glorious beaches.On the right over the creek to Kotu: on the left you can walk through kololi all the way to senegambia. Try I did and as long as you are aware of folk they are ok.. Honestly, stop and watch the local fisihing lads.
Diane (thomas cook rep ) was fab, she would tell it as it was... The truth(warts and all which was great as it stood me in good stead as to what was out there).
Met some really great people at the bar, entertainment is supplied every day/night by a great team of lads but dont be afraid to step outside and discover for yourself.
The local trader(mama selling banana, lady at the top of the road selling lunch which is wonderfull; try eating with your RIGHT hand) and guides(Aziz for one) are there to help you enjoy your holiday dont be afraid to stop and talk to them. They know their country and are proud to show you its beauty.From the markets, places to eat,local clubs and bar, to tourist venues and haunts.I recommend a spot of fishing on the creek...first time ever and the captain helped me like a child......David you were special...think I may be addicted now as I caught a few quite easily.Its a relaxing day.There are bumsters but try to be realistic we have them at home too....they are more of opportuntists than any thing else..
Just treat people how you would like to be treated.....one note ,' no thank you' does mean no thank you to these folks and they will leave you be. Please there is no need to be abuse to them as i saw on many occcasions..(It was embarassing to be classed as British).
Credit where its due. I had a great 2 weeks.....I will return some day to enjoy your wonderful hospitality. God/Alluh willing.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank CardiffJacqui

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Having read other peoples reviews on the palm beach hotel i was having mixed feelings about what to expect. This all changed when we arrived, the hotel is in need of a lick of paint but i have to say the staff, location on such a lovely part of the beach and general atmosphere of the hotel was just perfect. The breakfast was great and had enough choice to suit everyone. The waiters are always smiling and work very long hours and are a credit to this hotel. I shall definately be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013
4  Thank Retrojojo
Reviewed March 8, 2013

What a great place for a winter break,weather stunning,beaches good,people lovely. If you are looking for a base to enjoy the beach and the sites.
We had a great guide Aziz who show us the real gambia. All in all brilliant holiday and will be back

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank vicky s
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I have been to the wonderful Gambia 8 times and each time I want to come back for longer. This time 14/2/13-28/2/13 we stayed at Palm Beach, my first impression was OH DEAR! but within an hour the whole perception of the place changed my mind by the fantastic staff, Kebba the maintainance man fixed our tv then fixed my grandsons dvd player, later he gave my husband a cure for his bad leg!!! our doctor has been trying to get his leg better for months Kebba done it in days. Then there is Ammadou a fantastic guy who really made my grandsons holiday so special, when I asked my grandson what he liked best about the holiday - he said Ammadou!!! Then there is the super waiter with the beige baseball cap, what a star, he works long hours but never did I see him without a smile on his face. PALM BEACH, DO NOT CHANGE YOUR STAFF, THEY ARE THE BEST.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank KarenD1950
Reviewed March 3, 2013

very very basic rooms, old and odd furnishings. lots of power cuts but that in most the buidings. nice friendly staff. broken and ripped chairs at pool bar. baked beans, eggs, pancake and rubber cheese every day for breakfast. beach good but a lot of traders keep bothering you. trips out are not for the faint hearted but we loved it. it really was back to basics holiday. guides will take you and taxi fares are low and you will be asked if you want to keep the same taxi all week which was a good idea, and they waited for you to come back so there was no hassle over taxis. there wad a man on the gate organising the taxis so no hassle. plenty of security on the hotel, beach and every where you went. got electric shock off plug socket and also off the air conditioning unit. we were given a room to shower and change before our late evening departure. would go again but use different hotel.

Room Tip: if you go to palm beach ask for A or B rooms the C section is worse than all the rest and that is sa...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank sylvia s
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Our First time in Gambia but was one of our best ever holidays. The local people were great and although they have nothing compared to us they always had a smile on there face and we were warned about begging and Bumsters but once you told them politely they never carried on.
this place is a hidden gem and we are already looking at going back next year after a great week in february half term. If you are looking at taking in some tours and excursions I recommend a Local guide called Aziz (The Birdman) who was not only better value but was very honest and helpful and ended up being a very good friend who we will keep in touch with

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Paul S
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This was my 3rd trip to Gambia and the 1st time that I have stayed at the Palm Beach. Rooms are basic but extremely comfortable and clean. The staff are friendly ansd provide an excellent service. The hotel is a 2 star and is excellent value for money. The pool is small but on the other hand you have the beach within one minutes walk away. There is entertainment every night. I would certainly go back to this hotel.

Jean Clewes

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Jean C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kotu
Kombo Beach Hotel
Badala Park
#6 of 6 in Kotu
Seaview Gardens Hotel
African Village Hotel

Been to Hotel Palm Beach? Share your experiences!