“A heart - warming place I will never forget!”

The Gunjur Project Lodge
Reviewed March 3, 2014

This place is amazing to stay. I had an amazing time overthere, the People Who are werking are so nice and Friendfull. In ten minuten you are on the beach to give a look to an amazing view.

I was there for voluteering and the People of the project helped me with everything to make is the best. But is was also there for holiday. I made Lovely trips, also with an open jeep, very nice. There are many things to do in the neighborhood and the People of the lodge will bring you everywhere! It was my second time, because it is a heart - warming place to
come back again and again and again and again! I have many happy memories of my experience in gambia and in the gunjur project lodge I will never forget!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank evalankers

Reviewed February 23, 2014

My wife and I, who are seasoned travellers, stayed at Gunjur Project Lodge from late January to mid Febuary this year. I could have not made a better choice for our two weeks holiday in the Gambia. Situated away from the more popular tourist resorts we were in the real Gambia where people welcome guests to their homes and are pleased to help without pressurising you. The lodge is based on a traditional Gambian family compound but has amenities that non -Gambians will welcome. The en-suite rooms are not luxurious but are spacious, comfortable and clean. We stayed on a B&B basis but took most of our lunches and dinners in the lodge's attractive bar/dining rondeval. The meals on offer comprise a variety of Gambian and international dishes are well prepared, freshly cooked and, especially the fish dishes, delicious, The lodge has a small swimming pool that is kept emaculatly clean and after a dusty drive or long walk is most welcome, The well kept compound has many flowering shrubs and is visited by lots of birds. About 15 minutes walk away is the busy fishing village on Gunjur beach where we made friends with a team of boat builders who were only too happy to tell us all about their work and the life of the village. The management can also arrange a variety of excursions, locally and further afield, using reliable taxis and chauffered cars.
The most enduring memory we will have of the lodge.is of the friendliness of the management and staff, if they need a motto I might suggest "Always a smile never a frown". When we left after two lovely weeks we felt we were saying goodbye to our family..
If you are looking for a value for money restful stay in a family athmosphere then Gunjur Project Lodge may well be what you're looking for.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bryan D
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We stayed there for a week and then came back again for 2 days after staying in Senegal.
It is a very good place if you want to get used to African life and feel still comfortable. It's a rather small lodge with a very personal treatment so you don't feel the tourist but someone who becomes ''one of them''. Such warm people over there!
The room is good with a comfortable bed and a bathroom with a shower. Basic, but in a good way!! I wouldn't want to stay in a more luxury place as this suits better with the African way of living, like a compound. The swimming pool feels allready like luxury but a good way to relax after all the impressions you get during the day. you are surrounded by compunds and nature so you step into the African life when you leave the lodge.
And than they have all the good project they support, supurb!
Don't let them spoil this place, let it stay like it is. Jenny and all the others, we will be back!!

Room Tip: Nothing, just let it come over you, it's all good..
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FemkeLuken
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We had the pleasure of staying here for three days, only wish our stay had been longer. What a wonderful place it is and gives you a taste of the real Gambia. Accommodation was excellent and kept spotlessly clean. Food was also excellent and plenty of variety, but what really makes it so special are the owners Jo,Butch,Jenny and Brendan, what fantastic hosts and not forgetting their wonderful staff. Nothing is too much trouble and always a smile for you. We will definately be back and this time do some volunteering work.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kristineg26
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Just back from a 10 day volunteering experience at the Gunjur Project. I loved every minute of the trip. The staff and the food at the Gunjur Project were excellent. I would really recommend this place and for anyone going to take part in the volunteering. The great thing about the Gunjur Project is that you get to tailor make your volunteering experience. We were able to help out at the schools, in the women's gardens, with the scouts etc. which allowed us to get a real feel of the place and the people. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rosie A
Reviewed January 14, 2014

This was my first trip to gambia and was recommended this accommodation by a friend,I was certainly impressed, proper flushing loo, shower and electricity, which as its rural is pretty amazing, The food menu was excellent and caters for all tastes (my husband is very picky) and my skinny little son gained nearly 4lb in 8 days enough said!! The staff and owners are so welcoming its like your very own family and my son gained a Grandma( Jo) who runs the place alongside Jenny Bren and son Charlie, and not to forget butch who teaches African drumming, I have always wanted to have the African experience but never had the confidence to go it alone, I also didn't want a tourist area where I wouldn't see the real Gambia, well here you will experience it in full anything you want to experience you only have to ask and its sorted, on the other hand if your not sure they can give you loads of great ideas, transportation and guide if you wanted. Or just chill by the pool with a ice cold beer, I have crammed so much into one week!!! i didn't want to come home, if you would like an experience email them and ask what charity things they are currently upto,( they support loads) and get involved, I did and il never forget it, already looking at flights for next year xx love and miss you all Elaine Iain and George

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank elaine r
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Just returned from my fourth trip volunteering in The Gambia and every time i have stayed at GPL. This is an excellent place to stay, especially if you are interested in volunteering and seeing the real Gambia. I have been involved in taking three youth groups and one adult groups to Gambia over the last 24 months and once again GPL went out to make all the necessary arrangements to suit our needs. We mainly work with local schools and in the community of Kajabang and what a truly amazing place with friendly and appreciative people of all ages. Our group of volunteers left on 21/12 and for the first time, my friend and I were then joined by our family for another two weeks holiday over Christmas and New Year.

Over the past 2 years we have developed a relationship with the owners and staff of GPL and they were forthcoming in inviting us to experience more than we would when we are their to 'work'! We were delighted to be offered the chance to spend a fantastic Christmas Day and New Years Eve celebration with the family and staff team. What a fab experience that was. My husband was delighted to be able to watch football at the local 'film club' where it costs 50p for all 3 adults and you have to take your own beer! The film club in set inside a local family compound. Our families also participated in cycle rides with members of Gunjur Cycle club, ran a chess club, reading and maths club in the local primary school over the Christmas holidays. (I have probably missed off lots more we did!)

Many thanks to Jo, Butch, Jenny, Brendan, Alagi and all of the staff at GPL for all your hospitality. See you again in March!

I would highly recommend GPL if you want an experience of a lifetime!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lisa-Wilson-Riddell
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gunjur
Sunset Beach Hotel
Kololi Beach Club
Kololi Beach Club
#2 of 9 in Kololi
Leo's Beach Hotel & Restaurant

Been to The Gunjur Project Lodge? Share your experiences!