“mid century jewel”
Review of Silvanus Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hillsdale
Silvanus Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hillsdale
Newburyport, Massachusetts
“mid century jewel”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

my friend and i loved staying with steele andrews , a real gentleman - at his wonderful little lodge- - we are two women and felt safe and very comfortable - we happened to hit the hottest weather of the summer and we were so happy to be able to cool off in the sparkling clean pool - i love mid century anything and was immediately drawn to the lodge when i first saw the place - i know i will return and i feel like steele is a new friend - we were in the area because of the friends of the farmer festival and thoroughly enjoyed being able to explore hudson ny and great barrington mass in between the activities and relax and cool off in such a peaceful place - if you are looking for some slick boutique hotel this is not the place for you - but if you want to be in the area and prefer a little motel with some patina on it , clean and comfortable and a charming hotelier - this is the place for you - i can't wait to go back and i will -

Room Tip: just talk to steele about what you would like - it's a question of beds - i believe all the room...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
I've noticed that the nicest people seem to see things in a far greater light... I'm not sure we deserve all the kind words, but we accept them gladly. How do we find more just like you??? Someday we'll figure out a safe and friendly way to accept pets again... till then, we still hope you will return. Having guests like yourself is what makes this business fun.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
New Jersey
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Silvanus Lodge is reasonable, very clean, appealingly decorated, and in a perfect location-- green and quiet, as well as geographically central to the Berkshires and Columbia County attractions. We were very happy with everything-- and I should note that the owner kindly stayed up to let us in when we arrived much later than anticipated. Would happily stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JATJB
NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
As it was nice having you here as well. Thank you for posting on Trip Advisor. The money is nice... but the kind words go a long, long way. Kind of makes up for those days that start at 4 a.m. and end at midnight. :) Please... come again, even late. Steele
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Very affordable place to stay! This lodge is just what we were looking for! the room was clean , decorated nicely , not tacky. Fresh roses in the room was such a nice touch.
Steele, the owner was very helpful on our 1st visit to Hillsdale,N.Y.
We look forward to returning to our Hillsdale Hidaway.
Don't Miss This Place!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Still waiting for your return! Glad you enjoyed the roses... we pick them up when they are on sale, OR when we have some special guests coming in. It was nice having you here and do hope for a speedy return. Steele
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We stayed there in May and were pleasantly surprised. It is an economical and charming place to stay-and relax. Although the rooms are not large- they are immaculate. They have cool, not cookie cutter, art deco eclectic furniture. The beds are super comfortable with feather pillows. The rooms have a refrigerator and the perfect basket of snacks (at very reasonable prices). We loved that it is a small hotel, but situated on a huge bucolic expanse of green grass and hills. We loved that the room has an outdoor patio and is a wonderful and quiet place to relax. Steele, the owner is so gracious and helpful. You get a sense of personal service, unlike any other place we have stayed. We will go back for sure.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Thank you for the kind words! One thing we do lack is refrigerators in the guest rooms - something we would like to resolve someday. Limited space and electric in the vintage buildings can be a challenge sometimes. The best part of the motel is the area. There is a wealth of things to do for the adventurer that likes to go find things. It is never ending. Thanks again for the review.
Chantilly, Virginia
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed in the little suite and our friends rented one of the rooms. It was perfect for what we needed and what we expected. We spent most of our time out and about, but the amenities of the suite allowed us to make a quick breakfast before leaving. The suite reminded me of a cabin we used to rent on a lake further upstate, quaint, comfortable and quiet. It's apparent that a lot of TLC is involved in upgrading and maintaining the property. After we made our reservations several emails were exchanged, Steele was incredibly accommodating and wanted to be sure that we knew what we were renting. The only recommendation I would make as future upgrades are considered is wifi, although not being wired is beneficial too. (Note: Steele allows the use of the office computer for those who need to get online for 30 minutes or so.) We'll definitely stay again if in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Thank you! We often have to beg for reviews... ! The studio is not for everyone, but it is functional and great for those that like the small kitchen and a bit more privacy. You are always welcome and hope that you'll come again. Maybe next time the WiFi will work in the rooms; for now the reach does not go too far from the lobby. Kindest regards... Steele
Oakland, California
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I have stayed here twice, some four years apart. The rooms are a little on the small side, but there is plenty of room for me, and the bed is among the most comfortable that I have had at a hotel. The setting is delightful, and the prices are very reasonable for the area. Steele--the owner--is full of information; good recommendations for dining, and for sightseeing if they are wanted. The rooms I had were clean and well-kept, so a little smaller space is a great bargain for me! I didn't even try the wi-fi in the lobby, I was so busy.

Room Tip: All rooms are at driveway level; higher numbers are farther away from the highway (and the lobby) an...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
If only we could review our guests, you would be a "five star"! It was a pleasure having you here. You are a master conversationalist. And a very sincere "thank you" for the honest review of the room size. The last thing we want is for a guest to expect something we can't offer. "Tight, but comfortable" is our goal until we get the bucks to start over. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Westbury, New York
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I've passed the Sylvanus Lodge many times over the years but never had a reason to stay there. I always thought it was expensive and I was very pleasantly surprised when I finally checked the rates and saw how affordable it was. I was visiting a friend and needed a place to stay so I decided to give it a shot. Steele was so nice when I checked in, he made me feel really at home. I loved my room, it was just the right size, clean, had a comfy bed, and great tv. I love the fact that the room has two doors. I was able to open the windows and sit in the chairs on the little deck and read my book. I have a very stressful job and this provided the peace and tranquility I needed. I will definitely come back and I will be looking for that same room!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
NSteele, Owner at Silvanus Lodge, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
You know... really, how objective can these reviews be??? We have first rate guests that stay here. This motel attracts positive, kind, wonderful people. I will add honest as well - perhaps that will add some credibility to all the nice things that are said. It is a nice little motel. I'm glad you enjoyed it as well, and I hope you come again soon. (Thanks for the pictures too!).
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hillsdale
Days Inn Great Barrington
Days Inn Great Barrington
#3 of 9 in Great Barrington
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Great Barrington/Berkshires
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Gre...
#2 of 9 in Great Barrington
Holiday Inn Express Great Barrington
Holiday Inn Express Great Barrin...
#6 of 9 in Great Barrington
The Red Lion Inn
The Red Lion Inn
#1 of 1 in Stockbridge
Lantern House Motel Great Barrington
Lantern House Motel Great Barrin...
#4 of 9 in Great Barrington
Holiday House Motel
Holiday House Motel
#2 of 2 in Hillsdale

Been to Silvanus Lodge? Share your experiences!