“Alpine Osteria, Our Home Away from Home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Highmount
Alpine Osteria B&B Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Highmount B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Alpine Osteria, Our Home Away from Home”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

I, my wife, and son, have been coming to Alpine Osteria for seven years. It has become part of our Spring routine, to come to ski at Bellayre Mountain for up to four days in March. From the first time we stayed at "Scott's," we enjoyed the cleanliness of the rooms, conversations with Scott about his experiences in Las Vegas as well as his training at the Culinary Institute of America, and close proximity to ski rentals and Bellayre Mountain.
Scott is friendly, and very concerned with making his guests--all of them--comfortable. He's provided "special" food for our son when he was about 5 and wouldn't eat many foods, including eggs. (He made sure our son had Cheerios for breakfasts, and milk and sugar, like he enjoyed them). Scott's breakfasts are far superior to any breakfast at a hotel, including those with four-star chefs. His fried eggs alone are a reason to stay at Alpine Osteria.
In the interest of making all his guests feel comfortable, he has designated areas for ski boots, helmets, etc, as he understands that if left outside in a car, especially the boots will be cold.
His rooms--all of them--are impeccably clean, and have their own bathrooms, which are equally kept clean. The beds are perfect after a long day of skiing, in fact so comfortable you likely won't want to leave them to go skiing the next day!
There is choice in everything. We choose to stay at a bed and breakfast with clean rooms, friendly conversation, and a warm hearth and chance to play Pac Man and hear stories from the owner--who is in effect opening his home to visitors.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank 569Terin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Rooms are nice and very clean but Scott the inn keeper is overbearing. He snoops around in room when you aren't there and he gets offended if you don't eat every scrap of food he makes. He has OCD and is obsssesed with everything being perfectly clean and just so. He means well but he has become overbearing.

Stayed February 2014
4 Thank Adam W
Scott F, Manager at Alpine Osteria B&B Inn, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Adam, first let me say that we very much appreciate the compliments about the establishment being very clean. Indeed, we have achieved a 5 star rating on Trip Advisor regarding the cleanliness of our place. As part of the process of being clean and remaining that way, we provide linen service on a daily basis which you were informed about during the check in process. Myself and my housekeeper routinely go into the rooms while guests are away during the day and remove any used towels and empty the garbage, etc. (As an example, one of us will collect the towels in the room while the other empties the various garbage receptacles, and then we proceed to the next room).The towels in each individual room are color coded to that specific room, so when the wash is completed for all the rooms, and the towels are dried and folded, we go back into the rooms to redistribute the towels so that our guests will again enjoy a full compliment of towels (generally, each room enjoys at least 6 bath towels, 4 hand towels and 4 wash cloths). In your case, when my housekeeper went back to your room to put the clean towels back in your bathroom, she informed me that your ski boots, along with helmets, gloves, etc, were lying on the carpeted bedroom floor (all our rooms have wall to wall carpeting) with the accompanying mud, water, etc ending up on the carpet. So I went back to the room with her and observed the same thing...ski boots, helmets, gloves and more, on the carpet. I left all your things right where they lay and the next morning during breakfast, I asked if you would be kind enough to place your ski boots in a designated area for ski boots at days end, but not in the bedroom. We have designated areas throughout the house for ski boots to dry out and remain warm overnight, and as part of the check in process, we ask all of our guests to utilize these areas so that the carpeting in the rooms will remain in great shape for future guests who will be enjoying the same room.

When I spoke to you about the ski boots at breakfast, you appeared to be very receptive to the idea of leaving your boots in one of the designated areas, but because of the tone of your review here, I now see that you were actually upset. And when you stated that I "snooped" in your room and insinuated that I "snoop in rooms" while guests are away for the day, it was obviously because I told you I saw your boots in the room. "Snooping" was hardly required since the boots, helmets, etc., were immediately visible to anyone who would have walked in the room, including my housekeeper, who brought the boots to my attention in the first place. Sometimes Adam, when I ask guests not to leave their boots in the room, or not to smoke in the rooms, or anything else along those lines, people will go ahead and do it anyway, why, I don't know, because we are all passengers on the same ship, and we should all be concerned about one another.

Regarding your comments about the food, I have no idea what you are referring to, so I will leave that one alone. And your comment about me becoming "overbearing", I don't know what to say about that because you were here for 3 nights, and the only time I had any interaction with you during that time was at breakfast. And because there were so many other guests to serve, I didn't have an extra time to actually interact with you. I served your food and was available if you needed me. So again, I don't know how I could have been "overbearing" with the few minutes we saw one another at breakfast. Lastly, regarding your description of me being "OCD", at first it was hurtful, but as I thought about it, I realized that you were actually complimenting me on how clean our establishment is, which is a good thing! So, I guess I am thanking you in an odd sort of way.

And finally, you wrote that our B&B is "an average B&B". We beg to differ with you, and so would the vast majority of our guests who have enjoyed their experience at the Alpine Osteria (just take a look at the other reviews here on Trip Advisor). In fact, 50% of our business is folks who have stayed with us before, some going back to the very first year we opened which was 14 years ago. How many "average" B&Bs have you been to that have SOUNDPROOFED rooms, two headed showers with side jets and built in seats in the bathroom (like you enjoyed in your room), big bars of Dove soap in the bathroom instead of the tiny little bars you often find offered to you, real Kleenex instead of a cheaper, generic brand (and a box of Kleenex on each side of the bed as well, for both him and her), memory foam toppers on the mattresses, and things like BEING ABLE TO CONTROL YOUR OWN HEAT in the room because ALL OF OUR ROOMS have electric thermostats for your convenience and enjoyment, and things like YOU, the guest, being able to tell us what time you would like breakfast, instead of having a set time for everyone as most other places do. And what about our PacMan Tournaments...who else has that!. If our B&B is "average", then the Alpine Osteria has just set the bar higher for what average is. :)

Respectfully,

Management
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Scott takes great pride in his B&B and it shows. If you are looking for a wonderful place to stay then this is it. Lovely room, great service and good food. We were there for a post wedding stay and several of our family stayed there during the wedding(no room at the venue). Wow it was great. Only wished we could have stayed longer. Rooms were incredible and the atmosphere also was a match. Looking forward to returning to the Alpine Osteria.

Room Tip: Try to get the room on the second floor corner closer to route 28. Huge room and great shower.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank GilfromPikesville
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Words can not express how happy we were with Scott and our stay at the Alpine Osteria. My girlfriend and I decided on a last minute getaway and stayed at in the Alpines' Tuscan Red room. It was perfect, from design to cleanliness. We woke up feeling refreshed and enjoyed a fantastic home cooked breakfast every morning. Anyone looking for that perfect place needs to look no farther. We hope to share many more trips here. Thank you Scott for making this trip truly special for us.

• Stayed August 2013
4 Thank SMRJMD
Staten Island, New York
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed two nights July 19 and 20th. My wife and I attended a concert at Belleayre Mountain on Sat. July 20th. The best part of our stay was the concert. The worst part was having to walk 1-1.5 miles down a unlighted, steep, mountain road. The owner gave us a ride up the mountain after I expressed concern over possible severe weather. To be fair the owner did say that he might not be able to pick us up. But he also made it sound that he most likely would be able to get us unless something at the inn prevented him or possible dinner plans came about. My wife and I took this as much more of a yes than a no. We took the ride and while about to exit his vehicle for the concert Scott turned to us and said," You know that we discussed that I might not be able to pick you up". I said Scott you did say that but you also made it sound that you would be able to get us unless something at the inn kept you there or possible dinner plans? I let him know that he sounded much more of a yes than a no when he first offered the ride. If he knew he wasn't going to be able to pick us up why didn't he tell us before he drove us up the mountain? By dropping us off 15 minutes before the start of the concert, mainly because he couldn't be found on the agreed upon time, I had little choice to go back down the mountain to the inn to get my motorcycle. If I were an inn owner I would have been concerned for my guests having to walk 1-1.5 miles on a steep mountain road at night, no sidewalks, no lights, filled with concert traffic. We were literally 1 foot away from traffic basically sharing the rode with them.Also, my wife and I are not teenagers, we are both in our fifties. We thought he could have been a little more concerned .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank hideout1195
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed June 23, 2013

This was our first trip to the Catskills, so we had no expectations. When we arrived, however, we were very pleasantly surprised. The rooms were spacious and immaculate. Our family occupied four rooms of the B&B which allowed us to get a good feel for the place. They were all very spacious and nice. Most of the bathrooms had just been completely renovated. The breakfasts that were served were fantastic thanks to our innkeeper, Scott. I agree with the previous comments regarding Scott as very personable and professional. We are from Michigan, so it was quite a hike for us. But, if are ever to return to the area, we will most definitely be staying at the Alpine Osteria.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jim B
Melbourne
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Our stay here was very pleasant. We found the close vicinity to the Bellyeare Mountain very convenient. When we decided not to ski, Scott was always helpful to suggest places we could drive to.
We stayed here for 6 days. I think that you would need your own car to get around here.
The shops are not at all within walking distance.
There is a petrol station nearby, that also sells alcohol and has a laundromat.
We picked the Barolo room and the king size bed was really comfortable and big.
It's nice to have the microwave and the bar fridge in the room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bel H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highmount
Cold Spring Lodge
#1 of 2 in Margaretville
River Run Bed & Breakfast
River Run Bed & Breakfast
#2 of 3 in Fleischmanns

Been to Alpine Osteria B&B Inn? Share your experiences!