“Lovely B&B, great location for Bellayre skiing"”

Gateway Lodge Bed & Breakfast
Gateway Lodge Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 2 Highmount B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 3, 2011

Just got back from a lovely weekend at the Gateway B&B. It's literally 2 minutes away from the Bellayre ski area, which was delightfully uncrowded over New Year's weekend. We rented the Tokyo and Boston rooms on the first floor. We were apprehensive about our location right next to the kitchen and common areas. But unlike a previous poster's experience, we found that the owners lived up to their promise to have quiet time starting at 10 PM, even on New Year's Eve! The rooms were clean and comfortable, the food was good (particularly at dinner), and the owners were lovely. The TV in the common area that troubled a prior poster has been removed. Our rooms had no locks, which we found rather odd. That was a first for me, but maybe it's not unusual at B&Bs.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank capbara

Reviewed February 23, 2009

This was a charming place and could not be much better located for skiing at Belleayre. Our kids loved the bunk beds and the games downstairs. Breakfast was very nice and the overall feel was comfortable.
We plan on going back soon.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank dianalo
Reviewed July 21, 2008

We will definitely go back. Lovely room (stayed in Amsterdam), very helpful owners, wonderful breakfast! Spotlessly clean.
The B&B is in a lovely setting.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jessica7405
Reviewed May 3, 2008

Eight of us stayed at the Gateway one recent weekend, with a newborn baby and a dog. Kristin and Nick were warm and welcoming and very accommodating, as well as full of good advice and helpful tips for how to best enjoy the area. Our rooms were comfortable and clean and the homemade breakfasts they served lovely to wake up to. My friends and I had a great time. Highly recommend it!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Karenzo
Reviewed March 12, 2008

This B & B is recently under new management, and basically, the new owners have no idea about how to run a business. I made reservations for 2 families of four, and was booked into rooms that had bunk beds for the kids in the same room as the adults. I was told that the room on the second floor (Dublin) was a bit larger than the other (Boston), which is located on the first floor, and this was clarified by the fact that the rates for these rooms differed only by $10.00/night. The "Boston" room on the first floor turned out to be awful. It was so crowded that there was hardly a place to set up the luggage. In addition to this, the room is directly outside of the entrance of the kitchen, and in full view of the back yard where debris was seen being burned in a fire pit in the ground.

When we expressed our feelings to the owner about the paper-thin mattress on the futon-like double bed, the owner reassured us that they are in the process of replacing all beds in the B & B, and that this one has yet to be replaced. We were offered a chance to sleep in the room next door (with a new bed) on our second night of stay, but it was so loud in the common area that a sound night's sleep was not to be had.

When we voiced our concern about the noise level of the large screen TV that was placed directly outside the entrance of the downstairs rooms, we were reassured that there was a rule of "quiet time" that consisted of wind-down time starting at about 9-9:30, followed by no TV after 10:00pm. We assumed that this "quiet time" would be adhered to by the very owners that made the rules. We quickly found out that this was far from reality. We were even offered earplugs by the owners in anticipation of a dinner party they were hosting for their new neighbors to be followed by late night conversation! Unacceptable! After a long day of skiing and a lovely dinner out, we expected to come back and relax in front of the fireplace for a late night drink, only to find that the owners and their friends were occupying that area. We were "invited" to join them, but chose to retreat (the 8 of us) to our larger room on the second floor.

A new addition to the B & B is a large flat-screen TV located in one of the common areas of the house. This TV was on constantly, mostly being watched by the owners young children. In my opinion, this is not what I want in a B & B in the country. While on a family vacation, we try to limit the amount of time that the kids are plastered in front of a TV, and instead expect to spend quality time with our kids sitting around the fire, laughing, maybe playing a game. Although the location of this B & B is convenient to Belleayre Mountain, and the property is quite lovely, the new owners are not properly equipped to keep up with this property.

After a full snowy day of wonderful skiing at Belleayre Mountain, we arrived at the entrance of Gateway Lodge, only to find that the driveway entrance had not been properly cleared away or prepared for check-in time of 4:00. I was told that the snow had just started coming down hard, (we had been skiing all day and knew that it had been snowing hard all day) and that the plow should be here again soon. I was then told that the plow costs $100 every time he comes! As a guest, I do not need to know what it costs to clear the driveway - I just need to know that the property will be cleared properly for the guests at check-in time and thereafter! My only option at that point was to transfer my luggage to the owner's truck until they could "get my car up the drive."

There are three cats at this B & B, and we were told, by the owner, that at least one of these cats is her "mouser," because you have to expect rodents in a house this size!

As we were on our way out on Sunday, I realized that we had left some food in the fridge, so I stuck my head in the kitchen to ask for a plastic bag. I was appalled at what I saw in a small room past the kitchen - piles of garbage overflowing in open trash cans. The owner proceeded to reach around the garbage for a bag. I was given a crumbled up bag with splashes of dried coffee on it. Disgusting! The new owners have a lot to learn about how to run a successful Bed and Breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank luv2plan2

Been to Gateway Lodge Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!