“Under Poor Management”

Cuisines: German
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This is the most unprofessional, poorly run place I have ever been to. We went during the Oktoberfest this Sat. There was a accordion player and ONE vendor and ONE beer truck outside. We wanted to sit inside so we went in and stood at the hostess stand for about 15 minutes without being greeted. A tiny, older dark haired woman with glasses came storming over yelling at us that we had to wait 30 minutes. Okay, was that necessary? Did we need to be told off for asking if we can eat inside? We went to the bar to wait. It took another 15 minutes for the bartender to even acknowledge us. We ordered drinks and she was halfway through making them and walks away and starts helping other customers. She completely forgets about us for another 10 minutes and we politely ask for our drinks and she said she forgot. They were watered down at this point but she still gives them to us instead of making a fresh one. Finally, we were seated and waited and waited for a waitress. The couple at the next table told us they waited a hour for their dinner and it was not worth the wait. This was the busiest day of the year & it was not even that busy as previous years so I don't understand the wait and the poor attitude. They really need a Management makeover.

5  Thank Sophie H
Harald S, Owner at Black Forest Mill Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Dear Sophie,

Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry to hear that you had such a poor experience during our Oktoberfest event. As you accurately mentioned this was the busiest day of the year for us, to date, and this was the first year that we have consolidated our event to a single day. This was also the first year that we have introduced an indoor option during the event, and unfortunately were not expecting the massive overflow of the outdoor event to shift inside. This has already been taken into consideration and I will be implementing refinements to this event next year. We do apologize for the long wait that day, however this is absolutely not the norm, therefore we do encourage you to give the Black Forest Mill a second try, and I believe you will have a much more satisfying experience. Finally, your points about the poor treatment are absolutely unacceptable regardless of business strains; I will address this matter at once and will do my best that this is never repeated. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We should of took it as a sign that not many people were there on the busiest night of the week. Service was friendly and food came out quickly but it was no better then a chain restaurant like Friday's or Applebee's. Menu is a mix of German & Polish, not authentic. It was very warm and humid inside making it a bit uncomfortable. However, music was good!

4  Thank Stew S

Dear Stew,

Thank you for your review and we are sorry that you did not find the atmosphere to your liking. Unfortunately, given the hearty nature of our cuisine, our customer base fluctuates given the season. I invite you to come back in the fall / winter and am sure you will see a much more lively dining room. Regarding your food review, I do find it rather offensive, as we strive to cook fresh German & European food that meets an American palate. If there is something you would like cooked differently, I would be very happy to accommodate you as unlike the chain restaurants you mentioned, our food is always cooked fresh and I would be happy to make appropriate changes based on your special request. Thank you again for your positive and constructive comments, and we do invite you to give us another try.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Don't pay any attention to the bad reviews, this place was so good, yes it's an old building but that's the old world charm about it, and it's very clean. We started with the spinach and broccoli perogies which were clearly homemade and to die for! Then I had the rolladen which was fork tender and so delicious, my honey had the sauerbraten which was just as good, their red cabbage was the best I've ever had, they also brought soup, salad, coleslaw, potato salad and then dessert! Which by the way, was the perfect size after all that dinner, the Black Forest cake was so good! The service was super friendly and efficient, and Yes the owner is from Germany!!

Dear Customer,

Thank you so much for your kind words and wonderful feedback. This is exactly what we strive for and we are always happy to provide a great experience for all our guests! We look forward to having you back with us soon!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Visiting West Point from NJ, we happened to stumble across this restaurant in mid-afternoon on a Sunday. Both my wife and I enjoyed it and thought the food and service were very good. There was certainly enough to satisfy any hunger for a very reasonable price. We did both find the German potato salad a bit bland and the beer could have been colder. Nevertheless, we would certainly recommend this restaurant to others and will not hesitate to return.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for visiting us on your trip to West Point; Many of our customers find it a close drive from there to the Black Forest Mill. I'm sorry you found the potato salad a bit bland, however I would be happy to spice it up for you upon request. I also couldn't agree more about the beer issue that you mentioned, we are a German restaurant after all and Beer is a big part of that. Therefore I have recently replaced our entire draft system to ensure a colder & better tasting beer! We look forward to having you back with us soon and enjoying a great meal with us. Prost!

Reviewed June 15, 2013

This restaurant changed ownership about 2 years ago and has gotten mixed reviews since. Having gone there for over 25 years,and always found it to be excellent, we went about a year ago and thought it was still pretty good.
Having gone again, I'm not so sure we'll be back. The potato salad and coleslaw, always excellent, had a strange taste and after taste. I was told they used a different brand of ingredients, and I wasn't the first to complain.
I'm beginning to wonder if, as others have said, this owner is using cheaper
things. Also, it was Friday nite, and by 8:00, the restaurant was empty. Under the first owner, you needed reservations it was so crowded. Now a "Happy Hour," early bird specials, etc don't even seem to be helping.

3  Thank R16127

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your feedback, especially from someone who has been a loyal patron for 25 years. I am sorry to hear your dissatisfaction with the potato salad and coleslaw, however we have taken over the restaurant from the previous owner and have remained with many of the recipes of the previous owners. We would never serve inferior products to our customers and maintain the highest level of integrity for our culinary outputs. I encourage you to give us another try and when you visit, please let me know personally how you find the food, as I am always happy to make any adjustments to satisfy all our customers. Finally, regarding the lack of people on a Friday night, given the seasonality of the cuisine, I am sure you will find a much more lively atmosphere if you return this fall or winter . Thank you again for your feedback and I look forward to having you back with us at the Black Forest Mill.