“Rocking Horse Ranch is for families.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
nj
“Rocking Horse Ranch is for families.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2008

I had a fantastic time at the Rocking Horse Ranch with my daughter and my sister. We enjoyed the horse back riding. The guides were really terrific. We especially enjoyed the evening activities. The evening of the bonfire was a lot of fun. We thought the comedian was very entertaining. We met some really nice people. Most of the people that worked at the resort were pleasant and very accommodating. I would recommend Rocking Horse Ranch to families. This year I am going again with my daughter and my other sister and her son.

• Liked — The activities
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank lawwill1062

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2008

I just got back from Rocking Horse Ranch, and my family and I had an awesome time! We were never bored, because of all the activities they had. The horse rides were very enjoyable, and the scenery was beautiful. The hotel rooms were perfect, and there was more than enough room. The food was great, but I would have perferred only one buffet a day, as opposed to two. The lake was a nice area to go paddle boating, kayaking, or fishing in. In my opinion, the best season to go as fall, where the weather is cool. If you go around Halloween, then you'll experience a haunted house and many other activities. This ranch was great, and we'll certainly be back here next year! I never wanted to leave!

• Liked — Horse back riding
  • Disliked — Not enough rides a day
Long Island NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2008

My 2 kids and I were here for 4 days/3 nights in early August. All in all, we had a great time and the kids never wanted to leave. It was our first time here (we have been to Woodloch) and I didn't know what to expect given the mixed reviews on this site.
Having been there I can objectively provide the "good" and "bad" from our stay, although the good far outweighed the bad.

The Good

As others have said, the grounds were immaculate and beautiful. The horses were well-kept and well-behaved and staff were all (for the most part) friendly. Pools were nice, and the kids had a blast riding the Banana Boat several times a day and falling in the lake. They also really enjoyed the group activities such as Teen Manhunt and other games at night, where they met a lot of other kids and formed friendships. It was great to have the kids involved in so many outdoor activities; they are usually couch potatoes. The relaxed and safe atmosphere made them comfortable to walk around the grounds and feel "independent." In fact, I would say one of the main things my kids loved about their experience was meeting kids from all over and having the freedom to walk around and be independent. Our room in the main lodge was clean with plenty of space. Although it is a large ranch, the activities (pool, lake, golf, lodge, etc.) are all compactly placed so its an easy walk around the whole thing. It is a very family friendly place so be prepared for lots of kids. Don't miss grabbing a seat by the front gate and watch the horses on their daily walk leave the stables and trot across the street to the pasture. Being only 2-hours away was a big plus. Great desserts too.

The Bad

To put this in perspective, the "Bad" wouldn't be so bad if it were'nt so expensive to come here.

The one inexplicable bad thing was the ODOR in the main lodge - especially noticeable when walking inside from the outdoors - kind of a musty, stale, moldy odor that also permeates the downstairs.

The food - as others have said - is not good. I'm not picky nor was i expecting fabulous food, but its so mass-produced it had lost all flavor, color, etc. I would say breakfast is the best meal and lunch the worst. Be prepared to sit with total strangers at each meal. Also inexplicable - why no water, soda, iced tea? You are only given a pitcher of red fruit punch and lemonade. I mean, soda is cheap enough, why not offer it?

The front desk staff (at least when i was there) was not particularly attentive, seemed more like lackadaisical teenagers or college students who were not really friendly/enthusiastic the way the staff is at Woodloch.

The entertainment is OK; some of the activities are hokey. (DVD Scene It, Family Feud) Again, I don't want to necessarily make comparisons but the activities at Woodloch are more plentiful and higher quality.

The sign-ups: you have to sign up your first day for a banana boat time; and also for waterskiing. Because there is only a limited amount of time and therefore a limited amount of people who can be accommodated for waterskiing, you could very well be shut out from participating in this activity. Unless you are there BEFORE the sign-up time and wait around, you will likely be shut out of waterskiing all together; OR get such an early morning time that ur kids won't want to go (cold lake). Plus, even if you get a time, you can only sign up every other day.

Chairs around the grounds: all cheap,lightweight molded plastic. Some nice chairs would have made a difference, as many parents/grandparents are sitting down enjoying the view, watching the horses, or a sports activity.

All in all, I recommend RHR for families with children who are not expecting a fancy experience or fancy food. Unfortunately, RHR has "fancy" prices. They should bridge the gap by either lowering prices OR upgrading what they offer.

• Liked — Family-friendly atmosphere, horses, banana boat
  • Disliked — Food, somewhat inattentive or inexperienced staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank NassauMom
NewJersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2008

On a recommendation our family of 4 (2 adults and 2 children) stayed at Rocking Horse.
There was an unbelieveable number of Rocking Horse employees to make sure that our every question and request was addressed.
One thing that impressed me was that there was not a single piece of paper or trash anywhere.
The food was basic and filling and served in abundant quantities.
All of the people who we spoke to are return guest for double digit years. And that is the best recommendation.

• Liked — One price includes EVERYTHING!!
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything.
NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2008

Overall, this is a great place. The negatives -- the food was just OK and I was not happy with the day camp. It really was not a camp as the staff mostly kept them inside -- it was more a daycare. The staff does not take them into the pool until the end of the day for 30-60 minutes, even though the room overlooks the kiddie pool. This is not what I expected -- to me camp is going outside when the weather is beautiful. Often, the staff will cut the posted hours short so my advise is not to go and check on your kids unless you are ready to take them. The nursery room was dirty but the day camp room for kids 4 and up was clean.

The positives -- the place is extremely clean. The food is plentiful. Made friends with others while there. The staff is overall very helpful. Riding, water sports, the pool, the fun barn -- all were terrific.

Overall this is a wonderful vacation and place to go to.

• Liked — Cleansiness
  • Disliked — Day Camp
east williston,ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2008

We just came back from the long labor day weekend and had a very enjoyable time. The reason I selected this resort was that it is less than 2 hours from long island and the activities and food are included in the price of the room. My family has an 11 ,14 and 16 year old. They enjoyed the activities( bingo, pie eating contest, bocci tournament, trivia games,and scavenger hunts) and the food. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff was excellent. The horses were top rate. They had an evening of great fireworks.
I found only a few inconsistencies in the food. The menu in the evening, I had a chicken breast with capers that looked like it was microwaved instead of being grilled, and a pan steak that was not a nice cut of meat and I could not eat it. I could have mentioned it to the staff , but I was full already on all the salad,appetizers, and sides that I decided I could go without. I am sure they would have offered me something else . Other than that , the meals were good and plentiful, plus they serve a great ice cream sundae!
The only other complaint was that to sign up for the water skiing you must get there earlier than the requested time or you get stuck with early morning hours, where the kids don't want to get up early for and the the lake is still a bit cold. I would go again.

• Liked — all inclusive
  • Disliked — some of the enterees at dinner
long island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2008

Just visited this place for the 1st time for only one night to sample and enjoyed 2 wonderful days with my husband and 3 sons aged 2, 6 and 7 years old and we all loved it. This was the relaxing vacation we all needed and am glad we didnt go tto
SesaME Place as originally planned.. Bottom line- beautiful facilities, excellent entertainment for the kids, abundant buffets, cocktail parties( expected a watered down drink as mentioned in a prior review but was pleasantly surpised- the drink was not too strong nor weak -perfect-The pools were great, daycare and camp top notch with nice counselors and my kids had a blast. My room was clean and neat- Additionally, 2 1/2 hrs from my home in Lake Grove. The only complaint is the quality of my Prime Rib-not juicy and tender as expected-Heard fish and chick dish was good, although. Breakfast buffet awesome and even had my favorite corned beef hash-I will be back in the winter and cannot wait to experience a first family ski trip and look foward to creating more wonderful family memories with my husband and boys. The Rocking Horse Ranch is the Family Vacation Bomb!!!!!
This time I will stay at least 3 nights!!!!!!

• Liked — the bunk beds in wooden western theme
  • Disliked — the main course of dinner
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highland
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Courtyard Poughkeepsie
Courtyard Poughkeepsie
#2 of 13 in Poughkeepsie

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!