“Second trip-still loving the Ranch”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
Reviewed June 21, 2014

We went to Rocking Horse Ranch in April of 2013 and vowed to come again. This year we went in mid June and it was even better! Place is still spotless, with some of the nicest, kindest and most warm staff you will find anywhere. Everyone from horse wranglers to housekeeping is just really nice. Going in the summer the outdoor pool is open, and heated, and there is fishing and banana boat rides that are not running in April. My 8 yr old daughter and I went during Senior week and there were a few loads of senior citizens and I really appreciated how the staff took such good care of the older folks, never loosing patience or being short with them. Instead they all went out of their way to speak to them and make them smile. Once again the horses are clean, well cared for, treated with respect. My daughter loved day camp so much she begged to stay. This year we were in the new rooms in the main lodge. They are SUPER CLEAN, brand new bathrooms, comfy beds that smell nicely of clean laundry. I feel safe being here alone with my daughter and I just can't recommend this place more highly. Food is abundant, and there is always something to do. Clean, well lit, garden like setting, surrounded by nice folks. What more can you ask for.

Room Tip: If you can afford the price difference, stay in the main lodge for convenience and upgraded rooms...
4  Thank Addileesa
Write a ReviewReviews (1,396)

Reviewed June 18, 2014

Three generations of our family recently had the wonderful pleasure of vacationing at the RHR. We range in age from 4 up to 70 ... & an amazing time was had by all. In fact, the grandchildren [who have all been to Disney] said that they much preferred the fun they had at the RHR. There was so much to do ... & we already are planning our return trip to this vacation-land where the staff goes out of their way to make sure that everyone is having a good time. The food was healthy & delicious ... & the ice cream alone worth a return trip in & of itself. Our family has traveled a lot ... & it's wonderful to have the RHR right in our backyard. No airfare. No trip to the airport. No hassles ... just a really terrific time for children/adults of all ages.

Room Tip: Might want to ask for the upper floor.
4  Thank Dan W
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I love Rocking Horse Ranch. I love the food and the fact that it's all inclusive. I'd like to stay for a month. We try to go every year. I've ridden a horse the last two times we were there. I go with my daughter and my grandchildren. They love it as well.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jetta63
Reviewed June 9, 2014

we had a wonderful time at the ranch. there was so much to do for both my 7 year old daughter and myself. the indoor and outdoor pool, waterslides, bungee jumping, boating, waterskiing, banana boating. we took advantage of all the resort had to offer. hands down, the highlight of our trip was the horse back riding. the staff was knowledgeable and patient. TJ and Lisa were amazing. my daughter requested her favorite horse, Harley, every time we rode and was accommodated. the trails we rode on were great and gave a lot of opportunity for an advanced rider to canter on the horse. the horses are well trained so any skill level can ride. the ranch has over 100 horses so guests who wanted to ride numerous times were accommodated. it is definitely the best, well run, horse back riding program in the tristate area!!!!
the only problem was how expensive the rocking horse ranch was. I came alone with my daughter but was charged for double occupancy in my room. that drastically increased the price. we cannot wait to go back again and again and again, but have to wait until the ranch runs some promotions or specials on the price to make it more affordable.

4  Thank Danielle A
rockinghorseranch, General Manager at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2014

Dear Danielle,

We’re so happy to hear how much you and your daughter enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for the high praise, especially in regards to our horseback riding program and wrangler team. Our top priority is to deliver a fun-filled, memorable experience and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

I would just like to clarify your comment about being overcharged. Yes, our rates are based off having 2 adults in every room but when only one adult is in the room we discount our price to one-and-a-half adults versus charging for two. I promise you this is standard practice for all-inclusive family resorts. Please check our website often for specials and promotions and feel free to call Reservations any time – they are more than happy to work with you on finding pricing that best meets your budget.

Kyle, GM

Reviewed June 2, 2014

We had heard it was a great place and we had way more fun than we expected. My friend and I took 14 girls to the ranch for a Girl Scout weekend. The girls loved the indoor pool and slides and the large outdoor pool. They all spent a lot of time in the pools. They loved the bungee jumping and rock climbing wall. I loved the bungee jumping too! We all used the paddle boats, some of us played bocce, and we used the arcade and game rooms. The food was really good. The ranch provided something for everyone to eat, even the more selective eaters. The wait staff was able to find a spot for all 16 of us to eat together. The girls loved the horseback riding. However our advanced rider was disappointed in her trail ride leader who did not realize our girl has been riding and jumping for years. We stayed 2 nights and 2.5 days and never ran out of things to do.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Marmar1066
Reviewed May 27, 2014

It was an all around incredible mini vacation at the Rocking Horse Ranch Resort! We went with our family, who range in age from 7ish to 50ish and everyone had an incredible time. The riding staff were very helpful and patient with all of us (Thank you Tara, Patty and Cathy) and it was such a rare treat to unlimited access to the trail rides. There was a huge variety of food at each meal and everyone was able find something they were very happy about, not to mention the flowing chocolate fountain that was available after dinner every night. We took advantage of many of the fun activities including the indoor and outdoor water park, the "mining" for gems, fun at the archery/rifle range, the wagon ride, the water skiing, trivia and the very entertaining magician. The weekend was topped off by fireworks, and given that we have been spoiled by the incredible Boston fireworks we see every year, we were all amazed by the fireworks display at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort. We all loved it and can't wait to go again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Karenafalena
Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

This was our 6th time at the resort and it continues to be a family favorite. They just do it right all around. From an extremely friendly staff, to excellent meals, to tons of family fun for all ages!!! The banana boat rides are awesome. The horses are beautiful and a peaceful ride! Can't wait to go back next year!

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Keith L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highland
Hampton Inn by Hilton New Paltz NY
Days Inn Poughkeepsie
Days Inn Poughkeepsie
#6 of 13 in Poughkeepsie
Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!