“Unfair single occupancy fee's for widow's”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
Reviewed May 4, 2014 via mobile

I went to the rockin horse ranch for Easter break with my 6 year old daughter. I am a widow so it was just me and my child. I was designated an Oklahoma room which only has 1 queen bed and is very small. I was charged an additional charge for single occupancy!! I thought was very unfair, I am a widow.. I did voice this when I made the reservation, my other adult is dead... I'm a single mother and besides, you gave me a tiny room, why charge me extra??
So 2 nights cost me OVER $1000, ouch!!
The room itself was clean, the staff were very warm and friendly.
The stables were great, the trails are just beautiful. Great family activity. Shame they don't offer riding lessons.
The food was surprisingly good and plentiful, lots of variety and very fresh healthy options. the dining room it's self was an absolute headache. Being a single mum I had to carry 2 plates plus my personal belonging. I ended up abandoning my daughter at the table and making numerous journeys to the buffet tables.
With this amount of people I'm sure the buffet is the only way to feed hundreds of people simultaneously. I think the only way to make this room quieter is to maybe put carpet on the walls to absorb the noise and to separate into sections?
For dinner they use table cloths and a waitress service which was appreciated.
The indoor pool is great fun, shallow and safe for my child, I even felt comfortable leaving my daughter while I nip to the bar for a nice cold drink.
Karaoke needs improving, the machine is old, the girl had to keep inserting CD's then they would scratch so the kids had to make another choice. They need to spend a few grand on a really good up to date machine.
The evening entertainment was fantastic, very impressed.
The kids club is also fabulous!! I dropped my daughter off and she would then be taken on a day full of adventure, boating, mini golf, bungee jumping, wall climb etc etc etc. they fed her and she was very happy to go which was a relief for me!
Her having a great day in their care was a testament to them.
There is so much to do here, it just left a bad taste in my mouth being charged single occupancy rate for a tiny room, especially being a widow... I don't receive any alimony or child benefit $. A regular single mother has much more than a widow.
I did write a very detailed comment card expressing how I felt about the charges, I totally expected a call or email but have received nothing.. Why ask for my contact details and info if your not going to use it?
I can only think that the rockin horse ranch don't care about my feedback, so I decided to paste in on trip adviser because I do care!!
I still rate them with 4 stars, I can't say we didn't have a good time or that any part of the ranch particularly displeased us apart from the fee's I already expressed. it would be unfair for me to underrate the entire facility for that.

Stayed: April 2014
17  Thank Silver-spoon-me
There are newer reviews for Rocking Horse Ranch Resort

Reviewed April 30, 2014

We stayed at the RHR to meet up with my sister and her kids. The nice thing about the ranch was the fact that you can have a nice family weekend with kids in a large age range (2 to 14). There are many activities and we were kept busy. The food was plentiful and good and there seemed to be enough of a variety to satisfy everyone. We were there on a Girl Scout weekend and I would have liked to have known that prior to coming. There were a TON of girl scouts and while they were fine,it really did change the dynamic of the ranch from a family resort to a Girl Scout outing. We felt a little over run at times. Not a huge problem, but I might avoid that weekend in the future. We did go horseback riding and I agree with much of what was said by other reviewers. It was a very large group and had all the problems associated with that. But, I did enjoy the ride and the opportunity to do it. The staff everywhere were absolutely wonderful and I was often amazed by the number of staff and their great attitudes. All in all, we plan to return.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

Spent a few days here during school vacation and thoroughly enjoyed it. There is so much to do, the kids never got bored. We were concerned about food based on some prior reviews, but we were very happy with the variety, quantity and quality. Every staff member was helpful and the entire facility was well maintained. The horseback riding was very fun, my kids range from beginner to expert riders and they were all happy. The only issue we had was noise, we stayed on floor 1 of the main lodge and a troupe of acrobats were apparently staying above us, pounding the floors and jumping around until after midnight. One call to the front desk took care of it within a few minutes. A good sign of a great trip is when the kids are sad to leave. We would definitely like to return!

Room Tip: Second floor of main lodge will be less prone to noise.
1  Thank seacoastNH
Reviewed April 28, 2014

The girls had a blast at RHR this past weekend. The facilities were comfortable and tasteful with a fun authentic western feel. The rooms were spacious, clean and cozy with newer looking bathrooms. The meals ranged from okay to very good. The dining room staff was attentive and friendly, but also busy. The dining room had a bit of a cafeteria feel to it, but that may have been because of the many girl scouts in attendance. Breakfast buffet was very good, lunch buffet was very much cafeteria fare (salad bar, hot dogs, tacos, fajitas, etc) and dinner was sit down with dessert buffet. Breakfasts and Dinners were tasty, but nothing too fancy. (Sample dinners included pulled pork, ribs, prime rib, salmon). The staff worked hard at keeping the resort very clean and running like a well oiled machine. The activities were great and definitely kept the girls busy. This resort certainly packs a lot of activities into a relatively small piece of land. I would think the resort would hold the strongest appeal for families with small children as it might not hold the same excitement for kids over 10 years, unless they love the horses.

Ah, yes, the horses. I am an experienced rider and hardly ever get to ride anymore, so I was really looking forward to it. I have to second some of the previous comments. They really provide minimal to no instruction when putting kids as young as 8 years old on these big horses. Then, they would have these massive lines of horses going out on the trail. I would estimate that 1/2 the time spent on the horse was spent waiting in line for the trail ride to begin. Also, it was very assembly line-esq and lost the feeling of a real trail ride when you are in a line of more than 50 horses. All the stopping an starting involved in this was not only annoying, but a recipe for trouble between horses that were being handled by inexperienced riders.

Also, some posters have described wranglers yelling at guests. I understand that they have legitimate safety concerns, but the sheer massive size of these trail rides and total lack of instruction before the ride contribute to this issue. My 8 year old was hesitant to ride the 2nd day after getting yelled at by a wrangler because her horse wouldn't "go". Eventually I was able to convince her to "get back on the horse", but that shouldn't have been necessary. Smaller groups on the trail would lead to better and more intimate experiences for the guests, a better learning experience for the riders and a calmer more friendly interaction with the wranglers. (If a wrangler has to shout 6 horses down the line to communicate- the message can sound a little harsh.) Another issue with the horses was that they would just start putting people on the horses en masse and the horses would cluster and gather, with riders who had no idea what to do. On my second ride, there were more than a few scuffles between horses which resulted in at least 10 people (children and adults) panicking and asking to be taken off of their horses before we even got on the trail.

Lastly, this is a family resort type of place. Due to the sheer number of people getting on the horses, groups were often separated in this line of dozens and dozens of horses. I was there with my daughter and as a rider was able to navigate my way within a few horses of her, but many groups were greatly divided and there weren't any real attempts to keep groups together. In fact, one mother was yelled at when she looked behind her momentarily to locate where her daughter was way down the line. There was one great wrangler who was super nice (don't know his name, but he was riding Alamo on Sunday morning!), but all the others were fairly gruff and standoffish and really focused on the massive task on hand which was watching over 50-100 horses with mostly inexperienced riders. I would have loved to be able to learn more about the facility and the horses, which is usually a great part of a trail ride, but instead the only time the wranglers really spoke to you were when they were yelling corrections (with one or two exceptions). It would have been amazing to be able to interact with the wranglers more and learn more about the horses we were riding- but with they just didn't have the time or the ability to engage in that type of exchange while trying to manage such an enormous group. Maybe these rides were particularly difficult because of so many young riders at once? I am not sure.

Overall, it was a great stay at reduced prices for the Girl Scouts. I am not sure I would pay rack rates for the this resort as it is very expensive (my own perspective), but I would definitely come back if I could find a special rate off season.

3  Thank Bellagirl14
rockinghorseranch, General Manager at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Hello Sara,

Thank you very much for your great feedback.

Your concerns about first time riders are certainly valid. For that reason we offer a Riding Demonstration every morning. This Demonstration by a certified wrangler gives guests the introductory course for their first time on horseback. We encourage all guests to attend this when visiting our resort. We understand not everyone can make it to the class, so our wranglers still give instruction while mounting the horse, getting in line, and while on the ride. We do our very best to make the rides an enjoyable yet safe experience.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to seeing you again.

Kyle, GM

Reviewed April 27, 2014

This was our third trip to RRR, and it never fails to impress. If you are looking for a place where you will never hear "I'm bored", here it is. It is a true all inclusive where kids will be exhausted at the end of the day, and you will have spent nothing additional. Great staff, clean, and they feed you all day long. The horse riding is great, on trails through 100s of acres of forest, with streams, deer, foxes and more to see on the ride. You can ride every day all day long if that is what you like, or while some of the family goes riding, you can relax in the lodge near the fire with a book or fish bass in the lake. Dinners are excellent with time to sit and catch up on the days stories before the live entertainment of the evening. As a rule we never go to the same place twice, we have been here three times and booked again as we left. Proof enough. Have a great stay!

Room Tip: There are rooms in the maine lodge- where the dining room, pool and all the activities are -or in an...
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I just called to make reservation for myself & 2 kids AFTER telling them we were going. Because I'm a single parent, I was going to be charged a 50% HIGHER rate than if I had another adult in the room. They wanted to charge me $1000 for 2 nights (Sun-Tues), kids are free?!?!?! I asked to speak to a manager & she stated this is their reservation policy. So disappointed & disgusted.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
19  Thank adriene81

Adriene,

I’m very sorry you did not have a pleasant experience with our reservation process. Our rates are based off having 2-adults in every room. When only one adult is in the room, instead of charging for the two adults, we discount the price to one and a half adults. I can understand how you might think this is a “penalty”, but I can assure you this is a standard amongst family all-inclusive resorts. Please give us a call again so we may find a better time suited for your budget.

Kyle, GM

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Returning back to the ranch for the second time, I found it even cleaner and more friendlier then our first visit. The staff was excellent from the restaurant to the people who ran every activity. The life guards at the water park were more attentive then any I have ever seen.
The stable attendance made everyone from beginner to an expert feel comfortable and safe. I was amazed how clean the entire facility is kept considering all the children and all the activities that were constantly going on. What a great family vacation, everyone was pleasant, both guests and operators. You will definitely enjoy your time at the Rocking Horse Ranch.

1  Thank Weinstocktravel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highland
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Super 8 Highland NY
#2 of 5 in Highland
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Best Western Plus The Inn & Suites At The Falls

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!