“Worthy of the hype!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
“Worthy of the hype!”
Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

A free upgrade to a better room greeted us upon arrival. No better way to start a vacation! Awesome roomy room ... Clean ... Quiet though there were many kids on our floor. Horse and grounds are gorgeous. The nite-snowtubing was a blast. The humans are lovely too! We especially appreciated the stable crew and how much they know and care about the animals. The main lodge with its impressive fireplace was a welcomed retreat. The restaurant staff were kind and gracious. Huge selection of food well suited to families. Be on the lookout for kids stay free deals.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Aly149

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
Bayside, New York
Reviewed April 9, 2014

My wife and I took our two young boys (ages 5 and 2) for a weekend stay at Rocking Horse Ranch and we were pleasantly surprised throughout our stay. And most importantly our kids loved it and our 5 year old can't wait to come back and keeps on asking when we can go back. And he mentioned a few times there that this was the best place ever.

We were surprised that it wasn't as long as a ride from NYC - 2 hours tops..
From the start we noticed that staff is very friendly from all the ones we encountered.

Our room was in the Oklahoma lodge which was not connected to the main lodge, but a short walk away to the main lodge. The room was a good size with 2 bunk beds (my 5 year old loved it but still preferred to sleep in the bottom bed with the 2 year old). Beds were comfortable and the TV had a number of channels. It was a little dark - we wish there were more lights and given the layout of the lodge, little sunlight can come into the 1st floor rooms. Also - given alot of young kids stay here, it would have been nice to have a top lock on the door. we actually put the table to block the door just in case one of the kids woke up at night and opened the door.

There were a number of things to do - and we got to do most of them even with a one night stay. The big plus is that you can enjoy all that the resort has to offer before you check in and after you check out. Just leave your stuff in the car and go skiing, snow tubing, etc. Our 5 year old had never skied before and the staff there were very helpful to go with him and help him navigate on skies. My wife loved the horse trail that lasted for at least an hour. The indoor pool area could be a little bigger and there is always a challenge to find the chairs.

There are also many activities going on throughout the stay.. we took advantage of the magic show (which are son was asked to go on stage) and the Bingo, but there were still a number of things that we could have taken advantage.

The meals - this is all inclusive - so you get 3 meals per each night stay. Our dinner was nice with a set menu of choices. We liked our food, and had a couple of options for dessert and fruit afterwards. Breakfast and lunch were buffet style and plenty of options were available. One good thing would be to set lunch times like they do for dinner given the crowd rush at certain times. Overall, the meals were better than expected and they will be expanding the dining area starting in the spring.

Tip - if staying in the winter, if you can stay in the main lodge and not the Oklahoma lodge. We realized the benefit of doing so in trying to go into the pool and kid's water park. we have to bundle them up going and make sure they are all dried up before heading back outside. If you are in the ranch, you can just walk out of your room in your swimming trunks.

Overall - we will be back whether in the summer time next year during the winter and hope to convince some of our friends to join us. Raitng - closer to 4 1/2 stars.

2 Thank petertom25
Briarcliff Manor, New York
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I took my 5- and 3-year-old girls to Rocking Horse for an early spring getaway--just two nights in late March. There was plenty to do for little kids. We loved every minute! They were still making snow for the skiing and tubing -- a HUGE hit, but it wasn't too cold. The fun barn with bouncie house and ball room was perfect for them, and we spent time there every day. They also loved both the upper and lower pool areas. I was really impressed with the toddler water park area. It was small, but well designed and fun for them. We toasted marsh mellows, did arts and crafts, and they spent a little time in the kiddie camp while I went trail riding and got a massage. The ride said it was advanced, and they really let us run, so I was thrilled! Not too many places do that anymore. And there were still tons of activities we couldn't do until summer -- outdoor pool, tennis, paddle boats. We'll go back for sure. Rooms were more than adequate -- clean, fresh -- perfectly acceptable. And the food wasn't gourmet, but it was certainly acceptable. I'm a vegetarian and there was always something I could eat, and they had healthy selections available, not just junk. I would say that the place is perfect for kids until about 8 or 9 who like to do a lot of different things, and then it may seem a little small, but enjoy until then!!!

Room Tip: We were on the first floor at the end of a hall. I liked it because it was quiet, yet near the pool.
3 Thank Elizabeth_T
New Providence, New Jersey
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We just got back from our first trip to RHR, and we would go back in a heart beat!

When we arrived I was a little surprised at just how small the facility seemed at first glance. There seemed to be cars everywhere, and hundreds of people milling around. We had expected a fairly quiet family weekend, and thought that the place was going to be packed out. But we just happened to arrive as a bunch of people were checking out and a fresh load were checking in, so our fears were groundless.

The resort only has 118 rooms, so I cannot imagine that it will every be overcrowded. With all the events and activities that take place, the guests are spread out over the resort, so nothing feels too busy or rushed.

When we got into the lobby, we were warmly welcomed by Ernesto and given all the information that we needed to fully enjoy our stay. They print a daily schedule of events, which change from day today, along with regular activities like horseback riding and skiing etc.

We arrived in our room in the main lodge, which was very spacious, well appointed and very clean. There were 2 queens and a bunk bed which gave plenty room for my wife, myself and our three boys, 10, 7 and 3. We also set up a pack and play outside the bathroom in the little alcove for our 2 year old Daughter. Again there was a ton of space, we didn't feel at all like we were on top of each other at any time.

The trail rides and dinner were done by time allocation. You simply have to sign up for when you want to eat at night, and when you want to ride and you are good to go. We chose the earliest meal option each night, and never felt rushed. The food was pretty good, and there was a good choice on the menu, and there was plenty to eat. Soup, Salad, appetizer, entree and dessert. Soft Serve Ice cream was always available and was a great hit with the kids. I have to say I loved the chocolate cream pie! We could not go hungry even if we tried. Lunch and breakfast were both served buffet style, and again there was always plenty of food, and many options from which to choose.

The trail rides were done well, and we were confident in the care of the wranglers. They knew there stuff, and seemed to have a passion for what they did, as well as knowing the temperament and character of each of the horses. We went on the beginner ride, which was simply an hour walking through the woods on the trails. There were intermediate and advanced options as well, where you could trot and canter.

The set up for the skiing and tubing is very simple, but effective. The hills are not big, and are safe for even the smallest children. The tubes pick up a little bit of speed, so you do need to have a little weight to keep from flying. They do have well cushioned stop ramps at the bottom.

We spent a good amount of time in the pool. The photos on the website make it look a little bigger than it actually is, but it is certainly big enough to accommodate a number of families at a time. I cannot imagine it being too overcrowded, since there are so many other activities.

Each day they have bingo, trivia quizzes, scavenger hunts, shooting and archery contests. They have crafts in the evening for the kids, and the fun barn is a great place to let the kids run around out of the cold. They even have a Tread Wall: a rock climbing treadmill type of thing, which was a lot of fun.

The hot chocolate and pound cake, which is available 24/7 was a wonderful way to warm up after the cold, as well as the cozy fireplace with multiple seating areas in the lobby.

I could go on, but I probably have said enough. I hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did.

Room Tip: Stay in main lodge, easy access to pool, snacks and evening shows. Signs in the hallways state quie...
3 Thank Revrank
Weston, Connecticut
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Went last summer for 5 nights. Many friends had suggested RRH and raved about it…I have no idea why. The "lake" is really a pond, and half is roped off for the water skiing while the rest of the tiny pond is used for boating. The trail rides are typical miserable horses walking nose to tail. My horse had a bad very bad reputation but luckily I have some experience with horses and was able to maintain control of it.
We were pt in the "annex" building, and it was absolutely horrible…more like a roadside motel…musty and damp, loud A/C awful little bathroom. I had no idea that the main hotel had nicer rooms until the last day when we met another family and saw their room…if I had only known I would have complained and demanded to be moved.
But I should not have had to ask…when a family comes for a week long visit and it's their first time to your hotel don't you think they should go out of their way to make sure that family has a nice room and wants to come back again and again?
The food is not much better than cafeteria food. And honestly sitting at a large table with strangers is not my idea of a relaxing time.
My daughter liked the nightly "shows" but we will never return to RRH.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Catherine B
rockinghorseranch, General Manager at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Hello Catherine,

You have a couple of good comments that we have since corrected… and some that are a little harsh. I have to address your comments about our “miserable horses” first. We place the health and well-being of our horses priority over everything else here at the ranch. We are all horse lovers, and horse lovers know that these animals are more than well cared for and perfectly happy. (If they weren’t, they certainly would tell us!)

As for a couple of your constructive criticisms, since your stay in the summer of 2013 we have made major improvements. Since last year we have renovated the Oklahoma building's bathrooms for a more modern and sharp look. Also, we have dramatically improved our food selections across the board. We've introduced many more freshly-prepared foods for all meals throughout the day. Feedback since then has certainly been positive!

Our lake is considered to be pretty big. When the speed boats are running, with either water skiing or banana boating, we do not allow guests to paddle boat or kayak into the largest section; however, immediately after, guests are invited to adventure out onto our 6-acre lake. I’ve done it before and it's quite a workout! Either way, kayaking and paddle boating are all available in the main part of our lake throughout the day.

I hope my response will have you consider visiting us again soon. I’m sure you would enjoy your second visit much more.

Kyle, GM
Bergen County, NJ
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I am happy to review this excellent resort and highly recommend it to families looking to enjoy time together. My husband and I, (both senior citizens) decided to take 2 of our grandchildren (ages 11 and 8) for a 2 night stay over their spring break. We were a bit skeptical initially that this would be an overcrowded underserviced resort with uninspired staff. We could not have been more mistaken. From the moment we arrived, We were greeted by friendly well-informed staff, Nicole and Ernesto. Parking was convenient and close by. We were offered tickets to lunch by the reception desk staff (which is usually not included on the first day). Our room, which was an unexpected upgrade was ready by 1:30 (earlier than we expected) and also very adequately furnished. Given the long cold winter in the New York area, the first activity our grandkids were interested in was the indoor water park and it did not disappoint. The pool is a modest size but with ample beach balls used for playing basketball in the tree fountain in the center. The “floating islands” challenged even our kids briefly and then of course the very long and windy enclosed water slide was the highlight. For younger children there is a sprinkler area (looked like fun but our kids were too old for it so I really cannot comment). All areas are very well supervised with pleasant and competent smiling staff. Constant temperature in this water area was 85degrees—lovely especially when coming back from an outdoor activity. We were very impressed by the professionalism of the life guards who were alert and involved at all times. On our first afternoon we visited the “Spring tasting” which we were surprised to see was a nice spread of appetizers, both hot and cold including guacamole, hummus, cheeses, as well as local wine sampling all offered free of charge. Marissa and Crystal were pleasant and efficient. Daniel helped us locate the room where this afternoon activity was presented taking us all the way to the destination rather than just pointing!
Dinner was well organized and had enough selections to satisfy the 3 of us who are vegetarians as well as please my husband’s carnivore tendencies. The resort makes every effort to limit illness because of germs by encouraging every guest to use the hand sanitizers as we entered the dining room. The dining room is understandable a bit noisy (kids , especially excited ones are noisy!). The tables mostly seat 4 but there are other longer tables that may be used for larger parties. Every effort is made to grant a specific seating request. The staff serving is very gracious and anxious to accommodate special requests-(pb& j-“Lori’s” specialty is a big hit) . Deserts are plentiful and varied although there is always soft serve ice cream with all its fixings, (whipped cream, chocolate syrup and cherries). I was impressed with the availability of fresh fruit at every meal as well as numerous other healthy options. If anyone should become hungry in between these huge meals there is always hot coffee/tea/hot chocolate and cake or sweets available in the Hunt room next to the pool (again all included in the resort charge). Another popular option is the popcorn machine that “Luis”, the bartender keeps running while he fills cups for all children (young and old) to enjoy. In addition to making popcorn, Luis, makes it his business to talk with all the young children in the area creating a very friendly atmosphere around the bar.
The highlight of our visit for me was the horseback riding. The staff was remarkable in their knowledge of and passion for the horses. Mary gave us a wonderful orientation to riding; Danielle conducted a very informative Barn tour discussing care and feeding of the horses. Cath was exceptional in helping orient me to “Otis”, taking the time and effort to give just that little bit of extra that really made the difference in my ability to enjoy horse back riding. Our 2 grandchildren are more experienced riders and went on the intermediate trails, with guides, and really enjoyed themselves in spite of the chilling temperatures and blowing wind. Each hour long trail ride was varied and included (beginners level) small hills and crossing 1 or 2 streams and was guided by several staff.
The evening activities included snow tubing which was fabulous. The trail was groomed constantly by the staff and directions were clear (Thank you “darlin” John) –all the equipment was in good working order and a nice fire with marshmallows and hot chocolate was ready to warm us at the end of our tubing—thank you Dominique! After snow tubing til 9pm we went to the evening entertainment which was an illusionist on the first night and a ventriloquist on the second night—both were totally child friendly but with enough double entendre to entertain adults as well.
We did not participate in the skiing although we did see quite a few people enjoying the hill. The arts and crafts area seemed well utilized by smaller children and again the staff seemed ample in number and in ability.
One final note-many comments in prior reviews mentioned the noisy halls—The administration and staff has made every effort to correct this by posting numerous signs in the hallways reminding guests that Quiet time is between 8pm and 9am. I do not see how any more than this can be done. If children are not supervised they tend to be loud in the halls—we did not experience any problems in this way.
Also of note, there is not a big emphasis on “extras” –almost anything you could want is included in the resort fee. A gift shop is available to purchase extras and alcoholic beverages are available for purchase at the bar or at dinner.

I am sorry to be so long winded but right now as we are on our way home I am just thrilled with our 2 night stay and cannot wait to return with all 4 of our grand kids

Room Tip: Main lodge was very convenient to all activities-although it seemed like all rooms were equally conv...
3 Thank BerylSkog
Wyckoff, New Jersey
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Our Girl Scout Troop spent a weekend at Rocking Horse Ranch in March 2014. It was a "Girl Scout Weekend" event. Many troops from all over were staying there too. In addition to all the activities availabe on the property they had activities every hour for the girls! There were even badge earning activities! The girls had so much fun with karoke, uno tournament, scavenger hunt, ski races, minute to win it game, and DJ parties every night! The facilities include horse back riding, skiing, tubing, indoor water park, rock climbing, fun house, etc. All meals are included and the food is good! The accomodations are clean and up to date. The staff was helpful and friendly. It was noisy at night (but to be expected with entire resort filled with girl scouts!).

Room Tip: Choose rooms in the main building so you can get to the pool and restaurant with out going outside.
2 Thank Jswatek
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highland
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Super 8 Highland NY
Super 8 Highland NY
#2 of 5 in Highland
Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!