“Overall great place”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
NY
“Overall great place”
Reviewed September 6, 2008

Overall, this is a great place. The negatives -- the food was just OK and I was not happy with the day camp. It really was not a camp as the staff mostly kept them inside -- it was more a daycare. The staff does not take them into the pool until the end of the day for 30-60 minutes, even though the room overlooks the kiddie pool. This is not what I expected -- to me camp is going outside when the weather is beautiful. Often, the staff will cut the posted hours short so my advise is not to go and check on your kids unless you are ready to take them. The nursery room was dirty but the day camp room for kids 4 and up was clean.

The positives -- the place is extremely clean. The food is plentiful. Made friends with others while there. The staff is overall very helpful. Riding, water sports, the pool, the fun barn -- all were terrific.

Overall this is a wonderful vacation and place to go to.

• Liked — Cleansiness
  • Disliked — Day Camp
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
east williston,ny
Reviewed September 4, 2008

We just came back from the long labor day weekend and had a very enjoyable time. The reason I selected this resort was that it is less than 2 hours from long island and the activities and food are included in the price of the room. My family has an 11 ,14 and 16 year old. They enjoyed the activities( bingo, pie eating contest, bocci tournament, trivia games,and scavenger hunts) and the food. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff was excellent. The horses were top rate. They had an evening of great fireworks.
I found only a few inconsistencies in the food. The menu in the evening, I had a chicken breast with capers that looked like it was microwaved instead of being grilled, and a pan steak that was not a nice cut of meat and I could not eat it. I could have mentioned it to the staff , but I was full already on all the salad,appetizers, and sides that I decided I could go without. I am sure they would have offered me something else . Other than that , the meals were good and plentiful, plus they serve a great ice cream sundae!
The only other complaint was that to sign up for the water skiing you must get there earlier than the requested time or you get stuck with early morning hours, where the kids don't want to get up early for and the the lake is still a bit cold. I would go again.

• Liked — all inclusive
  • Disliked — some of the enterees at dinner
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
long island
Reviewed September 2, 2008

Just visited this place for the 1st time for only one night to sample and enjoyed 2 wonderful days with my husband and 3 sons aged 2, 6 and 7 years old and we all loved it. This was the relaxing vacation we all needed and am glad we didnt go tto
SesaME Place as originally planned.. Bottom line- beautiful facilities, excellent entertainment for the kids, abundant buffets, cocktail parties( expected a watered down drink as mentioned in a prior review but was pleasantly surpised- the drink was not too strong nor weak -perfect-The pools were great, daycare and camp top notch with nice counselors and my kids had a blast. My room was clean and neat- Additionally, 2 1/2 hrs from my home in Lake Grove. The only complaint is the quality of my Prime Rib-not juicy and tender as expected-Heard fish and chick dish was good, although. Breakfast buffet awesome and even had my favorite corned beef hash-I will be back in the winter and cannot wait to experience a first family ski trip and look foward to creating more wonderful family memories with my husband and boys. The Rocking Horse Ranch is the Family Vacation Bomb!!!!!
This time I will stay at least 3 nights!!!!!!

• Liked — the bunk beds in wooden western theme
  • Disliked — the main course of dinner
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
new city
Reviewed August 24, 2008

My wife and I and our two kids ages 10 and 14 were at Rocking Horse Ranch the last week in July. The grounds are immaculate and the landscaping is beautiful. The food was good and plentiful and the Wednesday dinner buffet was great. There was plenty to do as a family and individually. The pool bar staff is a party just waiting to happen. The wranglers look out for both the guests and the horses. The horses are well taken care of and seem to enjoy what they do, if your ever up early go out to the main gate and watch them run across the street to the stable. The rooms were clean and comfortable. We found the staff that we dealt with was always willing to answer any questions and help out with any problems.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
Westchester County,NY
Reviewed August 18, 2008

Just got back from the"ranch" last evening and felt compelled to write a review because this has to be one of New York's best kept family getaways. Close in proximity to Westchester(only 50 minutes from Cortlandt Manor),New York and Long Island your not driving for hours and spending money on gas. When you arrive at the end of rural Pankake Hollow Road you find an immaculate,colorful property with a greeter directing(and making sure you are a guest) you to the main lobby. We arrived at 3pm. Check in was a breeze and our room was ready. As the brochure states you can arrive early and I would recommend doing just that so you can take advantage of the full day. Rooms were very large and clean and the A/C unit worked very well. Wife and I slept on the queen beds and were very comfortable-kids loved the bunk beds. Bathroom was dated and water was plumbed backwards but after we figured it out it was fine-showerhead used a water saving head and provided not the best pressure but it did what it was supposed to do.

-Activities-There was so much to do that you literally have to plan your day and pick from the list what you want to partake in-very fun things to do both for kids and parents. I have never been on a trip w/the kids and have had the day go by so quickly
-Horseback Riding-You have your choice of beginner(walking only), intermediate (walking, trotting) or advanced (walk trot, cantor). We did both beginner and intermediate-trails were somewhat challenging on the intermediate rides(which I liked) and horses were for the most part well behaved and controllable-we went everyday and each day turned out to be better than the next-trails werent repeated so repetition was minimized on the 500 acres
-Water skiing and Banana boating was great-guys at the dock were very patient and accomodating if you were on standby but I would recommend getting a ski time on a daily basis(you have to sign up the day before or else you go on standby)Banana boating is a fixed time every day-make your time around 2:30 and then go on standby after your ride b/c there seems to be a lack of people between the transition time of 3pm when they go back to skiing.allowing you to take another ride- Have your kids try skiing if they haven't before-they have a bar to hold(instead of the rope) which makes things easier for them-i found that if you have a time there is no waiting and they run very efficiently.
-Food and Dining Room-This is where I have my only complaint-not with the food but with the seating, so much that I am calling today to make a suggestion to the management-the seating is family style and they overseat you at the table by at least 2 people making it very cramped while eating. The round tables are meant for 8 people but they force 10-the long tables are meant for 10 people but they force 12-when your eating with strangers it's awkward enough but to be knee to knee with them is down right unenjoyable. I found this only applied to dinner as for breakfast and lunch you can sit anywhere so we seeked out empty tables and spread ourselves out. The food was OK. Breakfast was typical buffet style and made to order eggs were available. Lunch was not the most fancy and included hot dogs,burgers, different salads(potato,macaroni,tuna cole slaw),fruits and fixins as well as a hero of the day-that turned out to be the best choice daily. The homemade COOKIES are not to be missed. Different varieties that were so flavorful and soft made you go back for more. Also the fruit selection was great and always fresh. The only thing I missed was soda-that was not included so you had to settle for lemonade or fruit punch.Dinner was surprisingly good(after hearing some negatives from people ) and was sit down every night except Wednesday which was the buffet.
-Entertainment-we saw two magicians-both were great and included the audience at every chance they could get-saw a comedien one night and he had me laughing the whole show-too bad he had to hold back b/c you could tell he had a lot more material.Missed the talent show b/c history was being made by Mike Phelps and I thought that was more important than hearing little kids singing. Game room kept the kids busy too-modern video games, pool table, air hockey table and Photo machine rounded it out. ATM is also conveniently located there.
-Fun Barn kept my son busy with the interactive foam cannons and guns-also had a bounce house,ping pong table and a "treadmill" climbing wall.
-Outdoor pool was suffiently sized and the water slide was great-dont miss the cocktail parties and snacks that they offer -live music was there about 3 times while we were there on our 5 day stay
-Other activities included,laser rifle range,pony rides, shuffleboard, volleyball, softball, tennis, kiddie pool w/slide, fishing paddleboating, kayaking, archery, blacksmith shop, a barn with a zebra, camel and donkey, playground, walking and biking trails(same as horse I believe), bocci court, rock climbing wall, mini golf, bonfires and tractor drawn hay rides, character lunch(horse and cowboy) as well many others.
-The Hunt room provides 24 hour coffee and hot chocolate(the kids loved making their own) as well as movie nights for kids.
-we felt very secure in letting our 9 and 8 y.o. go from place to place on their own in this family oriented resort.
-We are going to inquire about winter rates and possibly try it over the winter for a long w/end-they offer skiing on one 400 foot (if that) vertical hill as well as 2 snow tube runs.Will write a review if we go over winter-for now I would definitely recommend the RHR for a great family vacation.

• Liked — horseback riding
  • Disliked — seating arrangements and people per table
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Manken
Vermont
Reviewed August 14, 2008

I read a lot of the reviews for Rocking Horse Ranch (RHR) on Tripadvisor.com before our stay, and consequently wasn't expecting much because of the mixed reviews. We are expecting a great place for kids, but not much more. Well, my expectations were certainly exceeded.
Overall, I found the place very inviting, with warm, helpful staff. The place is not brand new, but the grounds are absolutely immaculate with beautiful hanging baskets everywhere. The have a lot (2 outdoor pools, 1 indoor pool, horse stables, small lake, softball field, volleyball court, small mini-golf course, climbing wall, indoor recreation center, game room), but it is pretty compact and easy to get around. My 2 girls, just under 3 were probably a little young to fully take advantage of all there was to offer, but they still totally loved it. The rest of my nieces and nephews, from age 3 to 11 had an awesome time. Their parents got a little break with the day camp, which the kids loved too. There are a ton of activities, which you have to signed up for the day before, but you can often show up "stand-by" and still participate.
Rooms: the rooms in the main building were pretty spacious and had just be redone and were nice, with 2 new queen beds and matresses, and bunk beds. Bathroom was outdated, but everything functioned.
Food: I was definitely surprised at the quality of food, as most of the reviews I read here, even the good ones, had said don't expect much with respect to food. Breakfast was OK with the regular buffet offering, and you could get eggs and omelets made to order.
Lunch is now free for everybody and was also OK, with P&J, burgers, tacos, hot dogs, pasta and a salad bar. Dinner was actually really good, with service instead of buffet. It included appetizers, soups, salad and entrees. A quick list of some of the best things I had included crabcakes, apple glazed pork chops, and skirt steak. All were great.
In summary, RHR is not the most fancy place, but it is super kid friendly, with great amenities, great activities and a friendly staff.

• Liked — Geat amenities and facilities, lot of fun.
Long Island
Reviewed August 2, 2008

We just got back from our first trip to Rocking Horse Ranch, and we weren't disappointed. From the time that we arrived, the staff was extremely helpful, and did everything they could to see that we had an enjoyable stay. My daughter rode a "real" horse on a trail for the first time, and had a wonderful time. She became very fond of the horse, and requested him each time she rode, and the wranglers made sure she got him. The shows at night were great, and the food was good. The banana boats were a real thrill, as well as the kayaks, paddle boats and water skiing. The pool was a lot of fun, and my daughter thoroughly enjoyed the water slide. The grounds were kept immaculately, and the rooms were very comfortable. We will definitely be back soon!

• Liked — pool, horseback riding, lake, entertainment
  • Disliked — nothing
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highland
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Super 8 Highland NY
Super 8 Highland NY
#2 of 5 in Highland
Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!