Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
$136
$93
$87
$144
No availability for your dates from our partners
Poughkeepsie Inn(Poughkeepsie)
TripAdvisor
1,461 results
All reviewshorseback ridingsnow tubingfun barnpony ridespaddle boatsfamily resortping pongbungee jumpingthe main lodgegirl scout weekendall inclusive resortnightly entertainmentgreat family vacationchef paulsingle parentshows at nightindoor pool
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Just back from our 8th winter at Rocking Horse Ranch. Our family couldn't have had a better time. We absolutely love our annual trip there. Delicious food, wonderful rooms, gracious staff and tons to do. The skiing and winter fun staff were exceptional this year. A special thank you to Cara and Ernie for their patience and friendly demeanor. All three of our kids enjoyed tubing and skiing, especially our youngest who finally skied the big hill with Cara's guidance. What a doll! And Ernie, constant smiles and words of encouragement. Thank you both for making our trip such a delight. We will surely see you next year!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Sherilynntr
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Just returned from a weekend trip with my wife, our two sons, 10 and 7, as well as 2 of my sons friends. This was a birthday celebration for my soon to be 11 year old. We stayed in a one big room with 2 queen beds and a set of bunk beds. Very adequate, clean, comfortable and the only negative, if any, was the dry heat. I wish we brought a humidifier.

I have to say, if was even better than the last 2 times we went (4 and 9 years ago)

My son's friends summed it up this way: "I knew it was going to be fun, but not this much fun." "How to do they make this much good food."

We arrived on Friday early afternoon and did the fun barn, the kids loved the air blasters and foam balls. Then off to archery and BB guns. Then swimming and dinner, followed by snow tubing under the lights with a fire pit and marshmallows. and capped off with a very good juggling act.

Saturday and Sunday were more of the same with horseback riding, skiing, wii room and lots and lots of food. It was hard keeping up with the kids. Saturday night was ended with a very good magician and much needed sleep.

This a place to have fun with your kids and it certainly made it easy to do. The staff at every venue were nice, attentive, and safety minded.

Special thanks to our server Brittany who made both our dinners very special. She brought all the boys special drinks, took pictures and generally seemed to like her job and interacting with guests, especially the children.

I agree with prior reviewers, the food is good but not great. We never went hungry and there was always a variety of healthy food (salads and fruits) and traditional fare. There was always boneless chicken for the kids, even when not listed on the menu, all you have to is ask. That said, I did enjoy all my meals, especially the pulled pork sliders for lunch and the prime rib for dinner.

An early riser, I appreciated the cake and coffee in the library (available 24/7).

I can think of a no better place, within driving distance, to celebrate a birthday weekend with my family and their friends. The RHR delivered and then some. It is all inclusive for all activities and food except for spa, alcohol and game room. The kids had a blast and because of that, we did too.

3  Thank jfinkmd
Reviewed February 28, 2014

We just came back from an overnight stay at the resort with our two children ages 9 & 10. We stayed on the $99 adult special and let me tell you for that price I couldn't have asked for more. We arrived early on the day of check in and were allowed use of the property and all it's amenities. You can leave a day bag in a locked room down by the locker room so your family can change for all the different activities. The food was nothing to write home about but there is plenty of it. I may have been a little upset about the dinner quality if I payed the full price. The only thing I would warn parents about is 1.The floor next to the water slide is VERY slippery...my daughter did fall, bust her lip and bloody her nose. 2. I did see two different people ski right off the steps leading up to the hill and take a nasty looking fall. Even though there can be "accidents" at any time with any of these activities just be aware of these two trouble spots. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend as a family getaway!

2  Thank elizsantana
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Time spent - 3 days
Who went - Myself, my wife and 2 children (4 yrs old and 8 yrs old)
Rooms - basic but good and clean
Price - expensive but worth the money
Pro's
1. There is so much to do that your kids will never be bored (I have been there in the summer and winter - both is great)
2. All experiences are very well done (Horse drawn sleigh rides, indoor pool (super warm), magic shows at night, tubing, I can go on and on...)
3. Food - last year when we were there the food was terrible. I spoke to the owner and he assured me that they were improving the quality of food and sure enough it was 10X better. Great job listening to your customers!
4. Clean, clean, clean!!!!! Everything is super clean.
5. Service - The best I have seen. Everyone is great. There was a 18" snow storm while we were there and they cleaned off our cars (nice touch)

Con's:
1. My only complaint is we had a room on the first floor and the sounds from the room above was aweful. More the thin cieling than anything. Had a difficult time sleeping. Will only get rooms on second floor from now on.

Overall - Will continue to go back 2-3 times a year!!

2  Thank Michael M
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Just got back from a 3 night/4-day trip at RHR. I have 3 kids (ages 9,7,5). They all had a blast. The kids enjoyed the available activities (indoor pool, horseback riding, skiing, snowtubing), but this place is smaller, more quaint place than other family resorts. I believe there are only 150 rooms, so the place isn't overrun as much as other places. The indoor pool is smaller and NOT a water park (i.e. Great wolf lodge) by any means, but kids found hours of fun there. The horseback riding was great, but kids <7 can't go on the trail rides, so keep that in mind. My kids are just learning to ski, so the bunny hill skiing and snowtubing were perfect. However, within 2 days after beginning, they were "outgrowing" it. This place is a combination of Woodloch Pines (but, rooms and facilities are nicer than WP) and Great Wolf Lodge (less commercial than GWL). Again, the biggest differentiator is the horseback riding.

Food was good enough where you didn't feel like you were eating deep-fried kids food at every meal, but short of fine dining. The duration of our stay was perfect since the place isn't that big, so we had enough time to do everything comfortably.

Room Tip: We had a room on the first floor, which I was nervous about considering the people traffic, but they put up signs to enforce silence after 9pm (which surprisingly worked).
2  Thank MaxxusD