“Great family getaway!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
Toms River, New Jersey
“Great family getaway!!”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

First time at resort. Had heard many good things about Rocking Horse Ranch and was pleased to have my expectations met. Absolutely spotless everywhere in the resort. Food was plentiful and varied. Various scheduled activities during the day provided great entertainment for all ages. Traveled with 4 girls aged 10-18 and all were kept occupied. Would recommend only a weekend stay in winter months due to limited outdoor activities, although it appears there is a lot more to do in warmer weather. Staff were extremely accommodating and very nice. All our needs were met timely and with a smile. Rooms are a little noisy, especially downstairs - you can hear everyone walking around - however little time is spent in your room so it is really a non-issue.

2 Thank Jeanette L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

I spent 24 hrs @the Rocking horse ranch with my wife and 4kids
We had a blast!!!!
From snow tubing to skiing (bunny slope)
Horse back riding in the woods, magic show,disco dancing, indoor water park, game room, ice skating, rifle range the fun was endless. Day camp and nursery are provided so I wasn't always tied down to my kids. The only issue I had was that I didn't get a room in the main lodge and even though my room was just next building the room door opens immediately from the outdoor to ur room no hallways like in the main building
Overall a great family vacation

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank tonydouglas
New York
Reviewed January 25, 2014

As Grandparents of 6 ranging from 7-3 we could not have chosen a better place. So much to do. Skiing, horse back riding, indoor water park and much more, All geared toward the kids. Staff was extremely accommodating, pleasant and professional. Our grandson has severe allergies especially to peanuts. The chef was very helpful and cooked all of his meals accordingly everyday. That was a real plus and made our stay even more enjoyable. Will definitely return next year!!

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank altny
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 23, 2014

my son and wife enjoyed themselves and had a great time, me not so much. My wife loves the inclusive resort st.yle but this is not a Caribbean resort with drinks included. So my review. Food was tolerable the variety and quality of a decent family diner. Children were everywhere and had a great time. Pajamas all through the resort in the evening which comes early in January.
this resort is not great but it keeps collecting points by being by OK and in general generous with what it does. Lots of Horses so we (in winter ) could ride when we wished. The ski area is as they say a big hill. Its not a mountain but none of us had skied before (my wife had been a snow boarder a decade ago.) so we had some fun- all equipment provided. The indoor swim area kept the little one amused for hours,days. The hours that the skiing and skating were available was disappointingly short skiing closing at 4 and the ice skating closed at 3 on the one day they had safe ice( snow making equipment but the ice depends on nature.) We found the staff to be friendly and helpful. The day camp was a pleasant surprise, sign the kids up once drop them off and pick them up as desired. My son enjoyed it. Rooms were clean and of a good size with bunk beds and two queens so you could pack the family in if you wished. Heating unit was quiet and the room was reasonably so. Lots of kids but only the occasional bang and yell was heard in the room.
Being an inclusive resort the rate is for the resort not just the room and the our last day was disappointing as the both the ice skating closed early and the pool was not open as they were making changes to accommodate an incoming group which left us with time on our hands because we had come in late on Friday and were leaving late afternoon on Monday. I was left with the feeling that we paid for three days and got only 2 and a fraction.

1 Thank aaajm
rockinghorseranch, General Manager at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
aaajm,

Thank you for your review of Rocking Horse Ranch. We are very similar to other all-inclusive family resorts. Since most families are here with their children, we have not found that most guests are looking for an all-inclusive alcohol package. We seem to fulfill our guests needs for the occasional drink with multiple food and drink events throughout the weekends. Our Wine and Cheese parties are a huge hit with a sampling of wines from the Hudson Valley, New York wineries, and other American wineries. We are even considering a complementary bottle of wine at dinner each night!

It seems you and the family had a relatively good time. Unfortunately the ice rink closing seemed to be disappointing. I was unaware of the ice rink closing an hour early. I hope it was not a miscommunication error, I will certainly look into it.

We hope to have you and family back again. Please ask for me the next time you arrive, I would love to meet you.

Kyle, GM
Utica, New York
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We LOVE RHR! My son and I started coming to the ranch when he was 10, and months after my husband and I separated. We are now planning our 8th year at the ranch. While we have small issues once in a while, such as a drip from the air conditioner above keeping us awake, or wonky wifi (a few years ago) the staff has always been very accommodating and fixed the problem immediatley. They are always helpful and do everything that they can to make our stay enjoyable. We usually stay for 5 or 6 nights and I don't want to leave! It feels like home, but better since the food is amazing, and plentiful. I even learned how to line dance with a wonderful instructor, did yoga by the pool, and languished by the outdoor pool with a free drink. Great vacation and great experience. Come on over and try it out, I'll be ther ein August!

Room Tip: There is food everywhere so don't plan on dieting while you are here unless you have really good...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank brebrock63
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed January 17, 2014

First off marketing wise the website is quite misleading this is NOT an all inclusive resort, food ordered by poolside, or at the bar is NOT included also sodas, and alcohol are NOT included. The food is less then mediocre, and hardly if at all accommodating for food allergies. The rooms are so below standard in reflection to what you are spending to stay at this resort, and to add the locks to the adjoining rooms do NOT work, definitely another safety issue.

Fishing is out of the question, a bamboo stick and a hot dog bun is not going to do you any good. Wake boarding has a line up like crazy once your down (if you can even get up on the board )your brought to the dock. The banana boat ride popped so everyone that waited in line for eternity was never rescheduled or explained what happened so everyone was standing around waiting for literally nothing. The horseback riding is so ridiculous the attendants seem to hate their job, and yes will yell at you and treat you so horribly if your horse does something funky or out of your control like eat a leaf. I'm convinced they either hate their jobs, or not paid enough to actually enjoy what they do- wretched experience.

The water park is awesome for the kids, but extremely alarming in regards to how the lifeguards act-very inattentive, distracted, talking to other guards, hardly scanning the water, kicking at the water while roving etc. The resort should look at this as a liability should anything happen, and the camera footage taken from the pool areas, they would certainly have a lawsuit on their hands, and certainly not in their favor. As a current Lifeguard Instructor this is HIGHLY alarming to see as a patron visiting your resort especially since it is directed towards family.

Checkout is the most hellish disorganized cattle call I've ever been apart of. With so many people trying to check out and the lack of employees at the front desk to handle the volume is insane. This resort to me is a money pit for family's. For what you pay to stay here does not by any means equate to the customer service, lodging, cuisine, activities, and SAFETY expected, definitely the WORST resort and family vacation, never again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
22 Thank Natasha5683
rockinghorseranch, Owner at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Natasha,

Obviously you were so displeased, I have to ask… why didn’t you immediately ask to speak to either myself or our GM, Kyle Carson? Instead, you waited 6 months to write a blistering review… ??

1. Horseback Riding Experience: We pride ourselves on not only the largest horse operation in the world but the safest. I apologize for your perception of the behavior of our barn team, however for training purposes, I will pass your review directly to all staff members… again, I only wish we would have heard about this sooner. Between the date of your stay and now (6 months, July 2013 vs. Jan 2014) we have received extremely complimentary reviews on the horseback riding operations.

2. Waterfront: we have 2 ski Nautiques and 3 Banana Boats; in my operation logs it show that all vehicles were functioning during the dates of your stay.

3. The fishing poles are bamboo, yes… Huck Finn style, made for childrens' use; the hooks are catch and release and the bait is dough balls (actually extremely successful for the bass, carp and catfish in the lake). The kids have a blast!

4. Lifeguards: Our lifeguards are Ellis and Associates trained. If you are a Lifeguard Instructor as stated, then you understand the audit process; the property is ‘surprise’ audited 4 times a year and has received the highest grade possible during each UNANNOUNCED audit.

5. Dinner & Poolside: In your guest portfolio, it shows that you checked in after 11pm. We took the extra step to call you, take your order, and have it prepared for your arrival after normal dinner hours. Regarding paying for poolside food, we do charge for poolside drinks and snacks; however, during this period we are serving lunch and cocktail parties that are all-inclusive food and drinks.

Natasha, we are a relatively small boutique property that aims to please every single guest daily. We learn from guest feedback, both positive and negative. I am so disappointed that we not only did not meet your expectations, but read about it on TripAdvisor 6 months after your stay with us.

Regards and Happy New Year,
Steve Turk, Owner
New York
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I was at RHR 1/12-13/14 with the grand kids everyone had a great time including myself except for one thing. There is no handicapped parking spaces by the entrance to the lodge!
I use a mobility scooter that has to be put together and taken apart when leaving. There is only 10 minute parking for bags to be unloaded by the entrance. If I have to walk to my car in their parking lot I AM IN TROUBLE!
Many children come to RHR with their grandparents and many of these people need handicapped spaces by the lodge entrance. What is the management thinking by NOT having any handicapped parking spaces available by the entrance? Shame on them!

Room Tip: Good luck if you are handicapped and need to park close!
3 Thank smokeyjoe1
rockinghorseranch, General Manager at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Hello Smokeyjoe1,

First, I wish you spoke more about the “Great Time” you and the grandkids had! As you can see from all of our previous reviews, we get quite a lot of GREAT feedback and 99% of it is stellar! Even when we do receive some constructive feedback, it’s not in a 1-star review (especially when everyone had such a good time!)

We understand the importance of parking for our guests with special needs. In fact, we personally valet cars for any guests in need of extra assistance (at no extra charge either). In your case, George, our guest services manager, personally parked your car for you and made sure you knew at anytime we would be glad to pull your vehicle around for any reason. Our 10-minute parking policy is a guideline, but when special circumstances are necessary we can always accommodate. In your case, you were parked in the drop off area for 2 hours so you could have the time you needed. No problem!

I hope you and the family would come back again and enjoy all of our facilities. I will personally extend every courtesy to make sure your arrival and departure is smooth.

Kyle, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highland
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Super 8 Highland NY
Super 8 Highland NY
#2 of 5 in Highland
Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!