“We had a great time”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“We had a great time”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

This was our first trip to RRR and our 9 and 10 year old had a great time. As so much has been said, already, here are some tidbits to share based upon our experience .

The main lodge is noisy at night and you'll hear kids running up and down the halls at all hours. The floor literally shakes at times. Bring a fan or other white noise generator to help mask the sounds. I'm reluctantly docking one star due to this factor as everything else was excellent. Perhaps they can assign staff to monitor the halls at night and help keep things down.

The dining room is BYOB. Ask the lodge bartender to open your bottle before you head into the dining room to save time. You'll need that drink as soon as possible after running around all day!

You can request to be seated away from small children during dining hours.

Room Tip: 2nd floor is the lesser of two evils as far as noise goes.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BookinIt
rockinghorseranch, Owner at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Hello BookinIt,

Thank you very much for your positive comments. They are appreciated; we really love what we do and I hope it shows!

I do want to point out that we are not a “BYOB” property, we have 3 points of bar service with a great wine selection including delicious California, Washington, Oregon, and New York State labels at very reasonable prices. In fact, we feature an award-winning Chardonnay from Millbrook Vineyards, right here in the Hudson Valley.

Please let me know when you will be visiting us next, I would love to open a bottle from our selection, I am positive you will be pleased.

Happy Thanksgiving and thank you for visiting us!

Best Regards,
Steve, Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Wall Township, New Jersey
Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Highlights - lots of activities best breakfast, lunch and dinner average lots of people to feed. Staff exceptional and grounds well maintained.
Saratoga rooms dated and wifi not strong enough other rooms ok
Pricey- plan on dropping some coin here but it is all inclusive..this is our third trip here..price can be a detractor but the place is always pretty full. Overall good experience. We would consider coming back but I understand other resorts give you a discount if you do not plan to ride which can be a lure for others with family members that dont want to ride.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank mferrelli
tenafly
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Just got back from another 2 day stay at RHR and we were not disappointed. We took 4 grandchildren this time ages 3,5,7and 9 and all of us had a great time. The place was decorated for Halloween so the kids wore their costumes Saturday night and went trick or treating. It was then on to the Haunted House which had real actors. Only the 7yr old was brave enough to go but the next morning they had tours to to see it in daylight. The kids were busy all day. Therewas bungee jumping, rock climbing, pumpkin painting and all kinds of games. Of course let's not forget the riding. The bouncy castle was also a huge hit. My husband and I really enjoyed the wine and cheese tasting, that was very well presented plenty of different salads and some hot food, first class.
This is not a luxury hotel, the rooms are basic, bathrooms are clean, hot water plentiful and the beds comfortable. At the time of booking I had requested a particular room in the main building and my request was honored, very happy.
As for the guy who who wrote a review about staying as part of his honeymoon------seriously? Didn't the name of the place at least give you a clue as to who RHR caters to? We love it and will be making more visits.
PS Glad you have changed the dining arrangements so families have their own table

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper take a room on the second floor. The first floor means no stairs or elev...
1 Thank murfyman
Maspeth, New York
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Just got back from a 2 night stay in the main lodge. The room was spacious, super clean and beds were comfy. The tv is a little smal for the length of the room and it would be nice if there was a dvd player. Walls are thin but it didn't disturb us. You have to request and iron and we were only given 1 roll of toilet paper so we had to call for that as well.
Food-after reading some of the reviews, I was impressed with the food. Breakfast buffet is the best, fresh fruit was delicious. Lunch was good not great. Dinner was good. I would have liked the option to pick side choices/vegetable with the entree. Flat iron steak, london broil, pork loin and ravioli were enjoyed. Servers a little slow to clear plates. Ice cream was enjoyed after every meal. There is coffee, tea, danishes and popcorn as well as chef tastings included. Preztels are $2. You will not go hungry! Special shout out to Charlie in archery, Molly with games, John at water sports and Claudia and Ashley at the kids camp. Most staff are very friendly, the front desk was very helpful. We went on the beginners trail twice. I asked to be near my kids twice on the first ride before we started and I was told that the line will split and they'll bring me later. Well that never happened so about 10 min into the trail I asked to be brought near my son (7 and riding for the first time and he was at the end of the line while I was at the beginning) and the wrangler brought me to him but it seemed like an imposition. As soon as I pulled up by my son I could see his face light up so I was glad I persisted. The horses are awesome, each with their own personalities and you can tell the wranglers know and care for them. There was a stable tour that was informative. It is a nice sight to watch the horses go across the street for the night. The funbarn, rock wall and bungee jumping were awesome, which my husband and I took part in as well. Playground area is nice. Paddle boats and kayaks are in good shape and fun to take out. Everything is kept in good condition, nothing is worn down. Rifle and archery area were fun especially the tournaments. The indoor pool/waterpark area was fun for my kids. My husband and I chose to just watch them as the area is not that large and I don't like to be right next to others while swimming. We played chutes and ladders and uno provided by the front desk while enjoyed coffee and hot chocolate. My kids enjoyed the kids camp and my daughter painted a craft at night (there is a fee). She would have enjoyed some additional crafts other than painting. All in all I give this resort 5 stars for convenience and comfortability of the resort, the accomadating and friendly staff and the number of activities. I would not stay more than 5 days and I don't know how other reviewers say it is comparable to Disney. However, we will be back in the low season when rates and crowds are the lowest. I will not pay the prices for high season nor would I want to deal with the crowds as I could imagine long lines on some of the activies when there are tons of children. Apple picking provided by RHR was a nice touch. One thing that was annoying (not RHR fault) were the seniors that arrived on our 2nd day. They took over bingo and were very rude to Molly and each other so we left and from then on if I saw many involved in an activity we stayed away. The shows and DJ were great. My son and husband took part in a show, which was a memory we will always have. Thanks RHR for a great stay!

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor in the main lodge, room 140 and it was a great location.
1 Thank Jennifer L
New York, NY
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We spent the weekend at RHR with our 2 young boys and another young family/friends. It was great and refreshing from start to finish. The staff was very accomodating and friendly. The grounds/lodge were very well kept and clean- everywhere we went someone was vaccuuming or sweeping! All inclusive is so nice and stress free! We had booked an Oklahoma room (not attached to the lodge) and it was small and kind of stuffy, but we didn't expect anything fancy. When we saw our friends room (it was bigger and less damp/smelly) we mentioned it to management and they were extremely responsive. Even though the hotel was sold out they found a cancellation and upgraded our room to one in the lodge with bunk beds and more renovated bathroom. It was worlds better and I would definitely pay up for that room next time. We took advantage of many of the perks/activities the resort had to offer. My kids loved riding Callahan (definitely NOT a pony ride- grown horse!) over and over and the handlers were so great and the lines were never too long. We tried the paddle boats- so scenic! We loved the bungee trampolines, indoor pool/waterpark, bonfire, wagon rides, painting pumpkins and more!! The food was OK, nothing great and meals were somewhat hectic. But overall a really nice trip and we will definitely be back!

New York
Reviewed October 19, 2013

This was our first stay at the Rocking Horse Ranch (2 adults, one 3 y.o. and one 6 months old baby). From the moment we got it until the moment we left, the staff was always making sure the service was impeccable. I have to say, I have rarely seen such an enthusiasm to make things right. Our daughter loved the water park, the horse riding, the bungee and the kayak! Even parents were offered wine tasting and cheese samples from the Hudson Valley. Generally speaking, the choice of food was decent and the quality was also good considering the quantities they have to make every day.

Only negative aspect was the quality of the mattresses. They were not very comfortable...with back pain after 2 days. We were put in the Oklahoma wing where there wasn't any wifi connection either. If given the choice, try to be in the main wing which has wifi and easier to access the swimming pool.

I would highly recommend this resort. We stayed 3 nights but could have easily spent another night or two.

Room Tip: try to be in the main wing which has wifi and easier to access the swimming pool.
1 Thank Akshay S
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We went on a bus trip to the Rocking Horse Resort and spent 4 nights. It just happened to be senior week at the resort! Not high school seniors! The resort was very nice, great pools and
outdoor activity. I'm sure this is fantastic for kids in the summer. The unlimited horse-back riding was really nice. The staff at the resort were fantastic, knowlegable, helpful and friendly. The
rooms were rustic (to be expected) and were kept very clean as was the rest of the resort. The only down side was the food. The meals were more in line with the Old Country buffet etc and not what you would expect at a resort. Breakfast and lunch were buffet style and diner was served.

Room Tip: All rooms have 2 queen beds and some also have a set of bunk beds.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank captearl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highland
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Courtyard Poughkeepsie
Courtyard Poughkeepsie
#2 of 13 in Poughkeepsie

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!