“Upstate NY's very own Disneyworld Resort!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We spent the weekend at RHR with our 2 young boys and another young family/friends. It was great and refreshing from start to finish. The staff was very accomodating and friendly. The grounds/lodge were very well kept and clean- everywhere we went someone was vaccuuming or sweeping! All inclusive is so nice and stress free! We had booked an Oklahoma room (not attached to the lodge) and it was small and kind of stuffy, but we didn't expect anything fancy. When we saw our friends room (it was bigger and less damp/smelly) we mentioned it to management and they were extremely responsive. Even though the hotel was sold out they found a cancellation and upgraded our room to one in the lodge with bunk beds and more renovated bathroom. It was worlds better and I would definitely pay up for that room next time. We took advantage of many of the perks/activities the resort had to offer. My kids loved riding Callahan (definitely NOT a pony ride- grown horse!) over and over and the handlers were so great and the lines were never too long. We tried the paddle boats- so scenic! We loved the bungee trampolines, indoor pool/waterpark, bonfire, wagon rides, painting pumpkins and more!! The food was OK, nothing great and meals were somewhat hectic. But overall a really nice trip and we will definitely be back!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,413)

Reviewed October 19, 2013

This was our first stay at the Rocking Horse Ranch (2 adults, one 3 y.o. and one 6 months old baby). From the moment we got it until the moment we left, the staff was always making sure the service was impeccable. I have to say, I have rarely seen such an enthusiasm to make things right. Our daughter loved the water park, the horse riding, the bungee and the kayak! Even parents were offered wine tasting and cheese samples from the Hudson Valley. Generally speaking, the choice of food was decent and the quality was also good considering the quantities they have to make every day.

Only negative aspect was the quality of the mattresses. They were not very comfortable...with back pain after 2 days. We were put in the Oklahoma wing where there wasn't any wifi connection either. If given the choice, try to be in the main wing which has wifi and easier to access the swimming pool.

I would highly recommend this resort. We stayed 3 nights but could have easily spent another night or two.

Room Tip: try to be in the main wing which has wifi and easier to access the swimming pool.
1  Thank Akshay S
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We went on a bus trip to the Rocking Horse Resort and spent 4 nights. It just happened to be senior week at the resort! Not high school seniors! The resort was very nice, great pools and
outdoor activity. I'm sure this is fantastic for kids in the summer. The unlimited horse-back riding was really nice. The staff at the resort were fantastic, knowlegable, helpful and friendly. The
rooms were rustic (to be expected) and were kept very clean as was the rest of the resort. The only down side was the food. The meals were more in line with the Old Country buffet etc and not what you would expect at a resort. Breakfast and lunch were buffet style and diner was served.

Room Tip: All rooms have 2 queen beds and some also have a set of bunk beds.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank captearl
Reviewed October 16, 2013

My 17 year old daughter and I have just returned from our tenth trip to Rocking Horse Ranch. We have been going every year over Columbus day with friends . This was our last trip for the next four years as my daughter will be off to college next year and we are definitely sad about that fact. My daughter rides all day long between the reserved rides and the standby line and she just loves the ranglers that she has gotten to know over the years, especially Scott and TJ, along with Patti, Sara, Alvaro and Shannon. And I am sure I have forgotten someone and I'm sorry about that. She was still hoping to ride Fireball but it didn't happen! (LOL). Thank you for a great ten years of fun. We love the place and I'm sure we will be back when it fits into our schedule!

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We went for 5 days during great weather in the summer. We have a baby and older toddler. Lots of things to keep the toddler busy, from first thing in the morning until bedtime, though the ideal ages for RHR seems more 5-10. Very clean but not "luxury." My toddler routinely asks when we are going back...great memories.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank NMS1234
Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Went to rocking horse on a last minute whim last 2 days of September. As luck would have it kids stay for free! Had a lovely clean room in the Arizona wing and went straight to the corral to ride. We had to go standby as we didn't have a reserved spot at that time but we had no problem getting a horse. Took the beginner tour. It's 1 full hour of a beautiful ride thru the woods. The staff were knowledgable and friendly. Food was delish and so many other things to do. Highly recommend this wonderful gem!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I had been dying to visit Rocking Horse ever since my sister in law had told me about her trip last year. It was something I really couldn't wait to take my three daughters to do. The pricing always seemed to be a little high for the price I could budget. I got quite luck on my last call to the ranch finding out that they were running excellent last minute specials. I quickly took my chance to book. Upon arriving to the ranch I was pleasantly surprised with the very clean unique surroundings. I can honestly say it was everything I pictured then some. I would recommend the ranch to anyone that loves the laid back feel of their surroundings, I felt safe letting the children roam and enjoy some freedom from their mommy.

The only bad parts of the trip was the fact that there were so many flies in the dining area, granted it is a horse ranch and this is to be expected I felt as though there has to be a way to reduce the massive numbers of them. The food for breakfast and lunch was quite boring and I found it more cafeteria style than resort. There was many seniors in house which made it a little awkward at times because my children didnt have a chance to meet many children their own ages,

The great aspects were that the Dinner was wonderful, many choices and high quality, the staff is exceptional always going above and beyond. The Front Desk Staff is worth their weight in gold, not matter how many times I annoyed them with silly requests and questions they always had a prompt answer delivered by a great attitude. The front desk manager Nikki is a true gem helping me with my trip in many ways and not batting an eye at any request I made. Victor in the dining room was also such an enjoyable person to speak with, he is so funny! Liz from the pool area was great with the kids and made me feel safe while they were in the water. They all made me feel as if I was a part of their family which is very rare now adays to find at a place. Whoever the owner is should feel proud that they have the staff they currently have as I place high value on each one.

I hope to visit the Ranch in the future, but hope they can purchase some bug spray before I arrive!

Room Tip: I would suggest to spend the extra few dollars to be in the Main Lodge
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank TNickens
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highland
Hampton Inn by Hilton New Paltz NY
#6 of 13 in Poughkeepsie
Super 8 Highland NY
Super 8 Highland NY
#2 of 5 in Highland

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!