“Great for kids of all ages”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
Danbury, Connecticut
“Great for kids of all ages”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

we spent a few days with our grandchildren , ages 10
and 12. This was the best vacation they had , so many activities, water skiing , banana boat rides , fishing, horse back riding, and many more . this was one of the cleanest places we have ever been to.
the quality of the food ,was excellent, and plentiful. Everything was well maintained, and the rooms were very nice. We found activities for every age and you always found something new to see or do. We will return here again in the winter to see what else there is to do.

Room Tip: The rooms in the main lodge are closer to all venues
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Maria S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
Milford, Connecticut
Reviewed July 7, 2013

As always another splendid trip to RHr. The barn staff knowledgable and kind to all(had 3 never before coboys). They took great care of them all. Food was decent and abundant. Desk staff was fairly new to me but all personable. facility alway clan and well kept. But oh my.....The room remodels are awesome. The old looking bathrooms are beatifully recrafted in granite and tile.....LOVE iT!! Can't ever complain about this place, always a great time. The owners keep amazing staff and are always on site and welcoming. They may not know us by name but they always remember where we come from and our family. Home away from and home and headed back today for round two family vacation.

1 Thank mpisani11
Massapequa Park, New York
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We just returned from our 4 night stay and we all had a great time (13 yo boy,10 yo girl). First, the resort is NOT rustic, it has a ranch theme much in the same way the Great Wolf Lodge has a wolf/lodge theme. The place is spotless. We did not see one gum wrapper on the floor (inside or out). Our room was clean and newish with LCD and pedestal modern sink and fixtures. The food is excellent and unlimited. The staff is polite and helpful. The attractions are abundant. The property is large but not sprawling, nothing is too far away. The main lodge has only two floors, so we used the stairs and did not have to wait over and over for an elevator. My kids loved waterskiing, the banana boat, the indoor water slide, BB gun range, the rope trampoline, the free frozen drinks poolside at happy hour, soft serve ice cream AFTER dessert, and of course the horse back riding - they went at least once a day. The fireworks were great...professional. The outdoor pool has a few hundred lounge chairs and 60% are covered by a canopy. For me, the most surprising part of the RHR is the quality of the entertainment. I'm not sure what I was expecting but each night the "acts' scored a ten out of ten. The adults/teens were just as entertained as the children. The resort was sold out for the week of the 4th of July but the attractions were not over crowded. So, I need to believe any other week it would be 'comfortable' as well. As for cost, we felt it was a good value compared with other all-inclusives or a cruise. The only money we spent on property was at the spa, a $5 craft, and a few cocktails. From Long Island it took only 2.5hours going & 2hrs returning. We will definitely go back to the RHR.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 11762zip
Massapequa, New York
Reviewed July 4, 2013

we took our 5 year old granddaughter recently for a short stay (it's exhausting for us old folks) for the second year
she does not want to leave
she has a special savings box at home for her RHR fund, this year she spent $48 in the gift shop
she had so much fun shopping
the activities are great, the people are great, the food is great, we were very comfortable
this year we got there as the lunch bbq was kicking off, it was fantastic and so relaxing
after the drive up
we consider RHR our old stomping grounds as we took our own kids there in the early 80's
keep it up Turk family, you are doing great!

1 Thank pat m
Johnston, Rhode Island, United States
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I spent a few days at the Rocking Horse Ranch in Highland, NY with my husband and 10 year old daughter. This is the second time, the first time being as a girl scout! The experience surpassed all of my expectations. I'd like to commend the staff for their top shelf customer service. The rooms were clean and nicely appointed. The grounds were beautifully manicured. And, considering that this has been around since mid century, everything was well maintained. The horses were well cared for and it was a pleasure to spend time with them. The food was unlimited, and fabulous. I wish I knew how they found such delicious fruit! If you want to take a little vacation with the family, including grandparents, this would be the place to go. There are enough activities for visitors of all ages and capabilities. Enjoy!

Room Tip: All of the rooms were perfect, and they are constantly renovating!
2 Thank Anne B
Englewood, New Jersey
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We were there with our grandchildren. It was fantastic. There was something for them to do every minute of the day. The activities were very diverse. Something for everyone including the grandparents. The staff were marvelous. They could not have done more for us and with the best attitude. The hotel and grounds were immaculate. I wish I could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: We were in the main lodge facing the pool.and it was very convenient to everything and we all slept...
2 Thank JB1145
Lake Ronkonkoma, New York
Reviewed June 20, 2013

All together I have been going there for over 35 years and now I bring my daughter. I have to say the first year I was not impressed BUT when I went back the next year to give it another chance I was so pleased with the service,food,staff and the best part is They actually read what we write which made everything perfect. It showed me they care so from this point we will be there every year in October to celebrate my daughters Birthday . Thank You to the staff for keeping my tradition going.
Bobby Sidito

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bobby S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highland
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
#2 of 5 in Highland
Courtyard Poughkeepsie
Courtyard Poughkeepsie
#2 of 13 in Poughkeepsie

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!