“This resort met every expectation.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
Madison, Connecticut
“This resort met every expectation.”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I just got back from a girl scout only weekend at the ranch. What a wonderful time. It has a rustic western type decor, with plenty of comfy pubic spaces to gather or just sit a read a book. The rooms were spacious and very clean. In fact, the entire place was spotless and the landscaping was very pretty.The staff was helpful and they all had a positive and welcoming attitude. There is always something to do here and the children were constantly busy. It even rained on day and they did not complain but were kept busy with so many activities. The outside pool is heated so they swam outside anyway.The place was full but you didn't feel it at all. The kids didn't have to wait much as all for any of the activities. The riding was really fun too and they can accommodate all level of skill. The food is good, the kids loved it, its certainly not gourmet for the adults, but there was plenty of good things to eat.

This is a great place to get away with the kids for a few days.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JoyRR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
Montville, New Jersey
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Well why not, a review from a kid! I'm thirteen years old now and have been going to Rocking Horse Ranch from age 7. This place is so much fun with lots of activities to do! But me, I spend most of my time at the stables. I love to ride horses! They have all different size horse from small to big. I especially like the really big horses. My favorite is a white one who I call "Fluffy". You get one ticketed ride a day. I usually try to ride 6 times a day going in the stand by line after each ride ends. There are lots of trails for the wranglers to choose from which makes each ride unique. I love talking to the wranglers, they give me lots of helpful pointers to improve my riding. Everyone is very friendly. When I'm not riding I like to play tennis (which I'm not that good at), paddle boating, rock climbing, bungie jumping, mini golf, water skiing, swimming, and snow tubing. Breakfast and lunch are buffet style with many items to choose from. Dinner you sit down with other families. From appetizers, salad, soup and the main course ( I love the sirloin steak) and dessert. I definitely save room at the end for the chocolate fountain! Everything is very tasty! Next up the nightly entertainment from magicians to jugglers! I have met lots of friends at the ranch that I continue to keep in contact with. My mom and dad love it here too! My parents say quote, "It's worth every penny seeing my smiling face from ear to ear!"

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank t c
Reviewed May 12, 2013

First time at this resort. Its a family oriented place that is full of parents and tons of kids. The space is immaculate- not just rooms but everything. I have rarely seen such attention to cleanliness, from the grounds to the facilities to the barn. Our room was in the older Oklahoma and it was sparse- only 2 pillows, curtains that gapped a bit, nothing fancy, very old shower but it was spotless! I hear the main lodge has much better rooms. Food was good, not great, but it was fresh and that counts a lot. This is family fare. Long long waits to be served dinner and the tables are overcrowded a bit but food here is not the highlight- the highlight is the FUN!!!! Horseback riding offers 3 levels with knowledgeable and very kind staff. The horses r safe and well treated, the grounds are sooo clean. The day camp for kids was awesome. Patty was warm and confident and kind and my 6 yr old loved her time there. They take the kids to all the attractions- no sitting around coloring. There is so much to do here and its all well managed. The rooms are quiet considering the potential for noise. Out room was right off the playground and with the door closed, we heard nothing. If u have kids and are tired of vacations were u spend the entire time telling them to be quiet and walk soft, this place offers a million ways to let them run, laugh, yell and play. The water park is small and can get rough. I wish they would consider banning jumping and cannonballs. After being hit in the face by 3 or 4 kids jumping off the side I was a bit uncomfortable. U should know u can come early and use the facilities before ur room is open, and that both breakfast and lunch are included the day u check out. They r very generous to allow u to come in early and stay after check out. Staff was ever present and always pleasant. This was one of the most active convenient amusing and fun vacations I have been on - and we've been to a lot of places.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank Addileesa
south jersey
Reviewed May 10, 2013

This is a great place for kids for a few days. This year we had only 5 days for springbreak so drove to local places. We went to Great Wolf (also reviewed) for two days and Rockinghorse for three. The kids loved the bungee jumping, the horseback riding, and the gameroom. They did not use the waterpark very much this time but they did enjoy a late night swim. My 13 year old son enjoyed the Wii game room and hanging out with the other teens talking sports, etc. . My daughters refused the kids camp this time and preferred to hang out in the fun barn, see the animals, go mini golfing and of course, mountain tubing. The ranch made artificial snow and the kids snow tubed safely down a steep hill. They liked the paddle boats and the outdoor games and races as well as the evening bonfire with marshmellow raoating. The playground is really nice one but what the kids liked was handging out with the other families. We were seated round robbin for dinner with people we did not know and the kids made instant friends. We chose to eat breakfast, think the usual breakfast buffet (fresh eggs to order, pancakes, cereals, oatmeal bacon, toast) and dinner. Better than diner quality, tastey, plentiful but not an elegant meal. We heard no complaints but no one expected a 4 star and the kids ate. If you expect top quality fillet mignon, do not go to an all inclusive. I would call this club med fare excpet it was a set menu and waiter service. The rooms are about average with a moderate amount of noisey kids running up and down the hallway till pretty late but it was springbreak. You could easily fit a family of 5 in the rooms attached to the main pool.

Room Tip: If you have a few days, want some good famiy time year round with lots of activities to choose from...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank sjreviewer
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 7, 2013

It's an awesome idea to have a retreat for the kids like this one. But, lets break it down, each category rated from 1 to 5: Food: 2 (very limited selection, like burgers, hot dogs and all the fried stuff, 3 very similar meals per day- NOT a healthy choice for anybody). Hotel condition: 2-3 ( the rooms look like in the side road motels, carpets like never been changed since this placed opened). Customer Service: 3 (not overly friendly). Attractions/Amenities for kids: 5(excellent), for adults-well, the adults just being very happy for the little ones. The Grounds and Location: 5 (clean air, nice surroundings, comfortable getting around). It would be nice and simply logical to have a petting zoo, since the resort is specializing on kids. The bottom line is-if you want to charge $500per night and not living off from discounting on Groupon, make it worth it.

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank 3pleC
Montgomery, New Jersey
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We just spent the weekend at this establishment and had the most wonderful experience. the staff was super friendly. the accommodations were lovely (not 5 star but clean and nice). the horseback riding alone was enough for me to rave about but the food was delicious as well. for the amount of people they served, it came out hot and good. Dinner was ordered from a menu, the rest was buffet and tons of options both healthy and not so healthy. if you went hungry it was your own fault. tons of activities even if you don't ride. would go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Val L
Bristol, Connecticut
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Our trip to Rocking Horse was great for everyone. We took the drive from Bristol, CT with our two kids 7 and 13 and everyone had a fantastic time. Sometimes it's hard to find someplace for everyone to enjoy, but they had something for everyone. They have plenty of activities for kids of all ages and lots for adults to enjoy too. The food was awesome and the staff was very attentive and helpful. Definitely recommend!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BristolMom74
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highland
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
#2 of 5 in Highland
Courtyard Poughkeepsie
Courtyard Poughkeepsie
#2 of 13 in Poughkeepsie

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!