“Amazing Girl Scout weekend”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
Montgomery, New Jersey
“Amazing Girl Scout weekend”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We just spent the weekend at this establishment and had the most wonderful experience. the staff was super friendly. the accommodations were lovely (not 5 star but clean and nice). the horseback riding alone was enough for me to rave about but the food was delicious as well. for the amount of people they served, it came out hot and good. Dinner was ordered from a menu, the rest was buffet and tons of options both healthy and not so healthy. if you went hungry it was your own fault. tons of activities even if you don't ride. would go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Val L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Bristol, Connecticut
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Our trip to Rocking Horse was great for everyone. We took the drive from Bristol, CT with our two kids 7 and 13 and everyone had a fantastic time. Sometimes it's hard to find someplace for everyone to enjoy, but they had something for everyone. They have plenty of activities for kids of all ages and lots for adults to enjoy too. The food was awesome and the staff was very attentive and helpful. Definitely recommend!

2 Thank BristolMom74
Clifton Park, New York
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Stayed here for the first time from 4/29 for 3 nights with 2 children aged 2 and 3. I'll start with the negatives if I can even call it that. First, after hauling our luggage to our room and going in, it was not done yet. Bed sheets and dirty towels were on the floor. After checking back in with the front desk, we were given an upgrade which was much appreciated. They really care for all guests right off the bat. Second, to the owner, chef, and GM, please, please, PLEASE have mac n cheese for lunch and/or dinner. I don't know any kids that don't like mac n cheese and it was really said to not see this option at all during our 4 days. They have hot dogs for lunch and burgers for dinners consistently and I see no reason why they can't carry mac n cheese.

Anyway, back to the good stuff. My family had a great time during our stay. The rooms were clean and spacious. We loved the bunk beds. The only sound we heard was the slamming of doors but this was during the day so I can't hold it against anyone. They day camp/nursery staff was superb and we were able to utilize them a couple times while the wife and I rode horses and had some friendly BB gun shoot outs in the range. Throughout our stay, the day camp staff would always acknowledge our kids by name whenever they saw us on the property. There is lots to do as you can read from the other reviews. Think of it like a cruise on land where you can pick from a list of organized activities or do whatever you like. Maybe not as many activities but enough to find something to do. My kids loved the indoor splash park. Yes, it's small but I had a good time watching my kids enjoy it. As for the food, it was nice to see familiar faces during the different meal times and my family did not mind the family seating. If yours do, check with the host and they will gladly re-seat you. The food was good for a resort and had plenty, with at least 8 different entrees every night. As for breakfast and lunch, it is buffet style and had plenty of options though it was repetitive every day except for the soup and one hot dish that was rotated. For breakfast, it would be great to have turkey bacon/sausage occasionally but no big deal.

All in all, we had a great time and we can't wait to go back since we took advantage of a discount by booking a future reservation. Looks like this might turn in to a yearly trip for us.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank pr0pelgy
Morris plains
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We walked through the doors of RHR 7 years ago and truly found our home away from home. We have visited over 50 times since. Yes, this is not a typo. Really 50 times! This place is like a christmas present, a tiffany box filled with a plethora of activities which include horseback riding, swimming, skiing, sun tubing, water skiing, tennis, mini golf, rock wall, bungie jump, bocci ball, shuffle board, archery, rifle range, and fun barn tied up with a white satin ribbon. We always have an amazing time and never get bored! The hotel and grounds are immaculately kept and well cared for. We can't emphasize enough the friendliness of the staff. From Scott the outgoing, extremely professional foreman at the stables, who perfectly matches each rider to their horse, to Lisa who is very knowledgeable and loves her job, TJ and the entire barn staff really know their jobs to make sure each guest's experience is a happy one! The food is delicious and
plentiful, with many healthy items, like fresh fruit and made to order omletes in the morning and a mile long salad bar at lunch. Seeing the same smiling faces of the employees year after year says a lot for Steven Turk, the owner and Kyle, the GM. Throughout the years we have acquired many wonderful moments. The value for the money is excellent and the memories are priceless! As the famous commercial slogan says, "try it you'll like it" my twist "try it you"ll love it!" and keep wanting to go back!

2 Thank J G
Cos Cob, Connecticut
Reviewed May 5, 2013

This is my family's favorite vacation spot. We have been coming here for six years.

The staff is very accommodating in all areas. Breakfast and lunch are buffet style, with dinner as a sit down. The food caters to families/children, but they always have delicious hot options for adults. If you are unhappy with a meal, the staff will bring you a new dish without a problem.
The staff is very nice and always carries smiles wherever they go, helping you with everything you need.

The rooms are very clean. My family and I fit just right! The beds are comfortable, enough room for our clothes in the dressers/closets, and perfect size bathroom to fit your needs. They have a small fridge in the room, which is perfect for any drinks your family needs. (The ranch has a nice station downstairs with coffee, hot chocolate and a freshly baked snack for the guests. If you need any beverages, there is a bar downstairs that can assist you, or you can ask any other staff that would be glad to help you get what you need).

My family and I go up to ride. I have been riding all of my life, and I never miss a ride (if I can help it). The barn staff is very accommodating to your needs. The managers are very knowledgeable on their horses and as they get to know the individual, they fit horses to their needs. I can not say anything negative about the barn. The rides are great. The barn staff take great care of all the riders and horses. They are very knowledgable on any questions you have to ask, and they are glad to answer them for you.

The other activities around the resort are great as well! They have have an indoor pool and water park, as well as an outdoor pool with a slide. Along with the boating, fishing, and other water activities on the lake, they have basketball, tennis, miniature golf, a volleyball court, a large baseball field for any sport, and horseback riding. There are so many great outdoor activities.

There is much more families can do around the resort with their children, as well. They have an amazing day care center where they do many different activies with the children and take great care of them. They have a "fun barn" that holds many fun and exciting activites for kids (and parents) if it is poor weather out.

If it is poor weather, Rocking Horse takes care of that. They provide many indoor activities for both children and adults.

Overall, Rocking Horse is an amazing place. I am graduating college in a couple weeks and this has been my choice for a graduation gift. I would not chose anywhere else to go. Thank you to all the staff and management that makes my experience as best it can be. I look forward to seeing you in June!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank vcope91
Glen Cove, New York
Reviewed May 4, 2013

My family stayed at Rocking Horse this past week and every one of us had an awesome time! My kids (9 and 5) could not get enough of the indoor water park, games in the lodge, and the food. They loved that there were so many different choices, there really was something for everyone, even picky eaters like my son. My husband and I both appreciated the friendly staff in the dining room, and we met another very nice family at dinner our first night.

Horseback riding was great, again the staff was very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. We only signed up for one riding time but we were able to go 2-3 times each day. Our daughter really enjoyed the pony rides, she was a little upset that she couldn't go on the "big girl" rides with us, but that was quickly eliminated after her first stay in the day camp. So much to do for the little ones!

The activities list provided at the front desk for each day was very helpful. You could do all, some, or none of the activities they had listed! Especially great because we wouldn't even have known about some of these activities had they not been listed on the daily itinerary. Especially some of the organized games and activities. So much more to do than is even listed on the website!

After reading the reviewers below me, I'm not sure how they possibly could have had a bad time---I watched staff and/or management of the ranch interacting with almost everyone, asking about their stay and if there was anything they could do to accommodate any requests. They were very approachable and had our family had even a small issue, we would have spoken to someone and I'm sure it would have been resolved immediately.

Definitely planning a return trip for the fall or winter season, the kids already want to come back and check out the different activities!

Room Tip: We stayed upstairs in the Main Lodge. Very quiet, close to all activities, and great view!