“Great All-Inclusive Family Vacation Close to NYC. Kid's Loved It!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
New York
“Great All-Inclusive Family Vacation Close to NYC. Kid's Loved It!”

SHORT VERSION:
A great truly all-inclusive vacation that’s really close to NYC. Our kids had a blast and we’ve already booked for next year. A good variety of fun (if modestly scaled) attractions. Wonderful, friendly, and attentive staff. Highly recommend to anyone interested in horseback riding or with at least one kid aged 7-12.

LONG, RAMBLING VERSION:
We decided on Rocking Horse Ranch based on the excellent reviews here on Trip Advisor and we weren’t disappointed. It was one of our kid’s favorite vacations (up there with Disney World, maybe better and definitely easier); we liked it so much we’ve already reserved another trip for next year.
How does an old dude ranch become one of the top rated family resorts in the world? A good variety of attractions certainly helps. In addition to horseback riding there’s an indoor water pack, a small ski-hill with timber chutes, a “fun barn”, and a private lake. We went for Easter weekend (late March/early April) and the ski hill was still open and they had at least one day of paddle boat rides on the lake.
However, with the exception of the horseback riding program, which is impressive if only because of its scale (there are over 100 horses on the property), there’s nothing in the attractions here that would make this place stand out as “world class”. The ski hill: a small, maybe 500ft, “green circle” run that won’t impress anyone but beginners. The indoor “water park”: one nice 250ft slide, but beyond that it’s a toddler’s splash pool with some kiddy slides and another pool with some splash buckets on one side and a pontoon bridge on the other.
Accommodations and dining are also nothing to write home about. Rooms have a nice, if somewhat dated, western theme. The newly renovated bathrooms are actually pretty nice, however. Still, it’s a bit short of luxurious, about equal to a 3.5 star hotel (but a nice, well-staffed and clean 3.5 star hotel). We stayed in the main lodge. Rooms in the Oklahoma building are similar in condition but are motel style- they open up to the outside with no hallways (ok in summer not as fun in winter I’d guess). Food is served family style at large tables that seat 8 or more. Breakfast and lunch are buffet style, while waiters bring out your entrees for dinner. The food is hearty but not really gourmet. It’s a ranch, so there’s steak on the menu every night. No one would expect Peter Luger’s (a high-end NYC steakhouse) quality here, but it’s not even up to Outback standards. It’s more along the lines of Sizzler’s or Ponderosa.
So, with all that, why the 5 star review? Because this is a place that truly understands what it takes for kids to have fun and has an army of well managed employees that make it possible. Our kids (ages 5 and 9) had a blast from the moment we arrived and didn’t want to leave.
We left NYC a little after 10am and, even after getting lunch, arrived at the ranch before 1pm. We were on the timber chutes by 1:15. The chutes were running a little slow, but there were no lines and we had fun (they got better later during our stay as it got colder). Although no one in the family has ever been on skis my son decided to try skiing pretty much on a whim. He got some skis and boots and within 15 minutes he was learning how to ski with the help of a friendly instructor. No reservations, no lift tickets, no equipment rentals, no lines – just “that looks interesting” and poof! – he’s skiing. On most other vacations we’d still be in the car (or on a plane) at this point.
Our entire trip was like that – the kids could pretty much go from one activity to another with very little work. Everything is very close – you can walk out of your room and be pretty much anywhere in less than 5 minutes. This makes for a very easy, and very fun, vacation.
There are only a couple of things you’ll need to plan in advance. On the first day you’ll need to pick a time for dinner (either 5:30 or 7:30) and you’ll need to pick a time to go on a trail ride. The reservations carry over from day to day, so if you pick the morning trail ride, you’ll be able to ride every day at that time. Rides are also available on a stand by basis, and they generally seemed to have enough capacity for everyone who wanted to go (on one morning we saw a girl who was trying to go on all six rides in one day). Some of these rides get pretty big – seeing fifty horses in a row on a ride in an impressive sight.
On the first day you’ll get a schedule of attraction hours – most of which are pretty generous. You’ll also get a list of events – there’s always something to do. Archery contests, bingo and trivia games, reptile shows, etc. There are also stage shows at night (generally one-man shows like jugglers, magicians, etc).

A lot of what you’ll make of this place depends on whether you view it as an adult or a kid. Adults will see dated rooms, so-so food, somewhat cheesy shows, and fun, if not necessarily thrilling, attractions.
Kids see things differently. The rooms – two words: Bunk Beds! They loved it. The “water park” – my daughter didn’t want to leave. She would have stayed there all day and she switched from one side to the other. Big slide, little slides, swimming, bridge, and then back again. The big slide might not have been as impressive as some of the water rides at Hershey Park (we went there last summer) – but there was almost never had a wait so our kids went on it over and over again. I already mentioned how easy it was for my son to get started skiing – and while he never really got into it he really liked the chance to try it out. (The size of the hill didn’t matter – he never made it off the even beginner section).
My son also really enjoyed the trail ride. At first he was a bit hesitant – he’s never been on a horse – and we didn’t make reservations until nearly the end of our visit. There are more scenic places to ride if you’re into it, but this is probably the best place in the world to ride for the first time.
We attended the morning riding demonstration – ours was run by Kath and she did a really excellent job. It’s one of those things that most would find kind of boring but she did a good job at explaining how to get on the horse, how to use the reins, and a proper appreciation for the inherent dangers of riding (the horses here are very well trained but are still 1000lb+ animals with their own personalities). The trail ride itself wasn’t that exciting (for me, at least) – about an hour long loop in the woods – but since it was my son’s first time he had fun (enough fun that he decided to go again the next morning). My daughter was jealous – trail rides are limited to kids seven an up (they have pony and wagon rides too, but my daughter wanted to go on the “real” rides).
The excellent staff is what makes this place so easy to enjoy. Even my son noted “this is a fun place to visit but I’m not sure I’d want to work here. They have to do a LOT of stuff”. Everyone here went out there way to make sure we were enjoying ourselves. Everyone said “hi” and many asked how we were enjoying our stay – and seemed generally interested in our response.
Little touches were everywhere. The campfire at the bottom of the ski hill –with marshmallows and hot chocolate at night. The free, freshly-popped popcorn at the bar in the afternoon. The beach balls in the pool. The bins of baseball gloves, bats, balls next to the ball field in case someone wanted to play. The helmet liners for the horseback rides. The staff at the timber chutes yelling “woohoo” in response to the kids riding down yelling the same. The chocolate bunnies given out on easter.
One particular, if minor, event stood out as an example of the service here. On Easter Sunday we visited the fun barn (a smaller attraction with a bouncy-house, a nerf-ball shooting arena, some ping pong tables and a rock-climbing tread-wall). I sat next to one of the staff (I forget his name) who was on duty while the kids played. He said hello and mentioned that he was in the middle of a 13 hour shift (yes, on Easter Sunday). He had already spent the morning in the nursery. Like everything at the ranch the ping pong tables had plenty of supplies out – but my son noticed that some of the balls had rolled under the tread-climbing machine. My son can be a bit precocious and I thought he was actually a bit annoying mentioning it since he wasn’t even playing ping-pong – but what impressed me is that instead of sitting there the attendant almost immediately got up and fished out the balls from under the machine. No complaints, no grumbles, and while visibly a bit tired still very friendly. I was impressed.
Like many resorts the staff here were mostly younger, college-aged kids, but unlike many other places (especially in NYC) the staff here were friendly and professional – and almost always working.
The shows and meals most highlight the different ways that kids and adults will view the ranch. As an adult, I thought the shows were somewhat cheesy. Compared to the elaborate production numbers at Disney World (or even the smaller shows at Hershey) these shows were small, generally one-man acts that tended to be a bit silly.
My kids loved them. The shows are very approachable and often interactive. The first night had a game show that allowed members of the audience to go up on stage. Probably close to half the kids were able to be contestants, including my daughter (and myself too later in an adult round). The host was great at adapting to the audience, especially the younger kids – so “a moo” was perfectly acceptable alternative answer for “a cow”. The magician didn’t do much more than some basic slight-of-hand tricks – but he was funny and did a great job of keeping the kid’s attention; he even passed out pamphlets with instructions on doing basic tricks to the kids at the end of the show. My kids both loved it.
The only real issue here was the food. My son in particular really liked it – so it’s not all bad. He loved the selection and being able to order his own adult meals (usually steak) off the menu at dinner. My daughter was in love from the minute she saw the chocolate fountain. Most kids should do fine here, even picky eaters.
Adults will be less impressed. I’m sure some of the management will probably read this so I’ll try to specific. Selection and variety are good, but more stuff needs to be made fresh and with more care. My kids like the variety of cakes every night (especially since there was also ice cream and cookies too) but I couldn’t help but notice they were coming out of a Sara Lee box. Lunch was particularly disappointing… the hamburgers and hot dogs looked like high-school cafeteria grade stuff. Fresh hamburger patties and better quality buns would go a long way. The “chef tasting” was particularly disappointing. Crackers out of a box, meatballs (tasted like they come out of a Costco bag), and simple rum punch – I hope this is not the best display of your chef’s talents. (My kids loved it anyways – more free food).
I’m not really expecting a radical change here – the improved food would probably be wasted on the kids – and all-inclusive gourmet dining would probably make this place even pricier – but making at least a few more things fresh in the kitchen would go a long way. An adult dining room – at least as an option – would be nice, especially for those staying longer than a few days.

Random Suggestions:
Since I’m pretty sure someone from management will read this I’ll throw in some random suggestions/comments as well. Bathrooms are nice and the plans for the new hallways look good. Next get rid of the popcorn ceilings and get better linens. Lose the exotic animals exhibit. The kids weren’t impressed and the animals look sad. This type of zoo is a bit dated. A simpler petting zoo/farm animal type of attraction would be nicer – especially if it allowed more interaction. The shooting range is fun (my son got to try archery for the first time) but it’s really too small. If not a bigger facility, maybe a new design that alternates between archery and bb guns? Longer hours for the euro-bungee/rock wall – this was the only place where there was much of a wait. My wide says the mattresses are too soft but I thought they were comfy.
My son’s suggestions: add a go cart track and put pizza on the menu. The first one might not be realistic.
Overall we had a great time and many of the comments here are nit-picking, but that’s somewhat of what trip-advisor is for, isn’t it. This place is very highly recommend to anyone with at least one kid aged 7-12 or for anyone interested in horseback riding. It’s close to NYC, there’s plenty to do, and the staff is really amazing. It’s not cheap, but it’s really all inclusive (you don’t need to spend a dime more than quoted price) and when you compare it’s actually a pretty good deal.
Misc Notes:
Reservation are by phone only (as far as I can tell). Trail rides are for kids 7 and up. The big water slide is for kids 36" and taller (and adults). Euro bungee is 30lbs to 220lbs. Rooms are ready by 4pm at the latest, but you can use all the facilities if you arrive earlier. Dinner is included on your first day; breakfast and lunch on the last. Price is all inclusive, but add 15% resort fee and tax. (Extra costs are rare: quarters for the arcade, drinks at the bar, small fees for crafts, gift shop items; if you prepaid and forgot your wallet you'd be OK). Child rates listed are for age 3-6; older kids are a bit more.

Room Tip: Most rooms are in the main lodge, which also includes the pool, dinning hall, and shows. Oklahoma ro...
5 Thank jtl10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (352)
Ringwood, New Jersey
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We just came back from Rocking Horse Ranch over Spring break. We are a family of five with three kids ages, 11, 8 and 6. When we arrived our checkin was seemless and extremely helpful. We were in room 204 which I think is the best room in the place. It is close to the elevator and stair case and was quiet. The room had ample space for all of us. The food selection was great. Breakfast was a buffet with lots of options. Lunches were good. I would have like to see a better variety but all in all very good. Dinner was awesome bith nights with all of us enjoying fish, steak and chicken. The waitstaff was very friendly and attentive. There was so much to do from the indoor water park, games, archery, bungee jumping, after dinner shows, boating, snow tubing (yes in April!) and much more. But the best thing about all of this was the staff. Tyler that ran the bon fire and boating activities was so helpful and kind. My kids loved him! The staff with the horses not only were extremely knowledgeable and helpful but put my daughters nervous concerns to rest and stayed by her the whole time. Mary and Meryl were the best! We will definitely go back!

Room Tip: Pick a room on the second floor of the main lodge
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank erinbiegel
Ringwood, New Jersey
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I must begin by saying that I was not a little reticent about RHR. I knew very little about it and had heard many stories about people having gone there 35 years ago when we were our kids ages. Some of these stories were not good. Some recent reviews here were not good. My expectations were marginal and I must admit my fears were completely unwarranted. RHR MORE than exceeded my expectations and I was constantly reminded whilst there how customer oriented this establishment is. My wife equated it to a cruise on land; no limit to activities for kids aged 5 to whatever!
We rode horses, tubed, skied, bungee jumped, wall rock climbed (2), fished, paddle boated, archery, BB guns, crafts, arcade, softball, tennis, bounce house, black jack, magic shows, chef tastings, and yes even swam in the pool with the great indoor water slide and rode horses AGAIN. If that's not enough for a family of 5 over the course of 2 nights & 2 days...
Yes we ate too; quite well in fact. A la carte dinner and buffet breakfast & lunch. Very good choices and variety especially for dinner. Saturday night: Ceasar salad, New England clam chowder, shrimp cocktail, flank steak cooked to order & desert buffet. (if there's room)
All in all I'm sure for the people who have been recently they would concur; it is not inexpensive, but worth every penny. The kids absolutely loved this trip & we are looking into when we can go again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
New York
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I will start with the positive:
Food was good
Plenty of things to do
Great time for young kids

The negative
Rooms were filthy , moldy smell, bathroom dirty. Rugs were worn out , and the beds were uncomfortable.
Service was not good, unfriendly

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank billymack
rockinghorseranch, General Manager at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
BillyMack,

We appreciate all comments but I’m surprised by yours. Our rooms and facilities are impeccably clean and have consistently been awarded a 3-Diamond Rating by AAA inspectors. In fact, over the past 3 years we have invested over $2 million in renovating our bathrooms, replacing carpeting, up scaling our bedding and much more. Myself and the owner, Steve are here on a daily basis, we wish you would have spoken to us during your stay so we could have seen exactly what you were talking about. We would love to talk further to learn more. Please reach out to us.

Kyle Carson, GM
NY
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My family and I went to Rocking Horse Ranch from Sunday 3/31/13 to Tuesday, 4/2/13. Overall we had a great time and would definitely go back again. I was a little apprehensive about going, since a friend had gone and complained that it was "boring and old," but that wasn't our experience at all.

We left Long Island around 11 AM and arrived at the ranch around 1 PM. Check-in was scheduled for 4 PM, but we got our room number around 2 PM. It's important to keep in mind that on your check-in day, breakfast and lunch are not included, but dinner is. We were aware of this (RHR states this plainly) but when we were eating lunch on our check-out day, we saw lots of people who had just checked in trying to get in for lunch and acting shocked that they couldn't (on your check-out day you have breakfast and lunch, but not dinner, so you get all the meals you've "paid" for).

So we checked in, parked the car, and walked around. The snow tubes were open and we spent about an hour doing that. My wife, 7-year-old son and I LOVED the snow tubes. There's a conveyor-belt lift that takes you up the hill (maybe a 3-5 minute ride) and there was no line at the top. It was our first time doing anything like that, and it was around 50 degrees so the snow was kind of slushy and not super fast, which was great for newbies, and also meant we didn't have to bundle up in full winter gear.

After that, our room was ready so we went and checked in. We stayed in room 220, with some friends staying in adjoining room 222. There was a shared door between the rooms and our kids loved that. The room itself wasn't anything special, but was adequate. There was ~32" Dynex LCD TV and a Cablevision cable box. The TV isn't connected to the cable box via HDMI, and we didn't get HBO, which wasn't a huge deal except that Sunday night was the season premiere of Game of Thrones, and I'd hoped to watch it, but I had it DVRed at home so that wasn't a big deal. The only time the TV was on was right after we woke up or right before bed, so that wasn't really a big concern. There were two queen beds in our room. In terms of comfort I give the bed a C+/B-. There weren't enough pillows (two per bed) and they weren't fluffy, which led to neck pain and bad sleep. If we go back I'll probably bring my own pillows.

After checking in and unloading the car, we played a short game of baseball in the field next to our building. Gloves, bats and balls are all free to use. We then went back to the snow tubes for another hour or so. After that we went to the bungee jumping area where the kids had a great time jumping up 20 feet in the air and doing flips. We then headed over to the Fun Barn (about 40 feet away) where there was an inflated bouncy house, foam-ball-shooting "arena," makeshift badminton court, "infinite" rock wall to climb, and three or four ping-pong tables. The adults played badminton for a half-hour or so while the kids entertained themselves. We then went to the 5 PM dinner.

One of the complaints I've seen about RHR was the food, and this is one of the things that worried me. Fortunately I found these complaints unfounded. The food spread was impressive, and the quality was good. The main entrees for Easter Sunday were lamb, ham, and prime rib. I had the ham and prime rib and both were very good/excellent. Other items available included a vegetable medley, fresh mashed potatoes, basmati rice, beef barley soup and a full salad bar. For dessert there were lots of cakes and pies. Most of the stuff was very good, and the prime rib was excellent.

After dinner, we took the kids to the pool. The pool isn't huge but we had a good time. The main pool is about 2.5 feet deep on the shallow side, and 4 feet deep on the deep end. The deep end has some floating blocks that kids can try to cross by jumping from block to block while holding on to an overhead rope - they enjoyed that. In the upper level of the pool area is a mini water-park for young kids (mainly 5 and under) and a huge water slide that goes outside the building. The entrance to the main slide is about 4 storeys up, and the kids got a great workout going up and down. I think my son went up 30 or 40 times the first night. Needless to say, they loved it. After we got the kids in bed, my wife and I went down to the lobby ("The Hunt" room) where there's a coffee machine and a selection of muffins and pastries available all night and had a quiet cup of coffee.

For breakfast the next day it was a buffet again. The breakfast selections included fresh fruit, scrambled eggs & huevos rancheros, bacon, sausage, pancakes, french toast, corn-beef hash and home-fried potatoes. You can also order eggs from the kitchen however you want - omelets or sunny-side up, etc.

After breakfast we walked around a bit, made our reservation to go on the horse trails, then went on the paddleboats for a little while. This was fun, but it was still kind of cold. After that we played a round of 9-hole mini golf. The mini-golf course was actually pretty good compared to some of the ones I've played. I forgot to get a scorecard but fortunately there are plenty of iPhone apps that make keeping score easier than using the little pencil & card. By now it was time for lunch already so we headed back in.

Lunch was a buffet and consisted of a full salad bar, a tray of cold-cuts to make your own sandwiches, hot dogs, hamburgers (with a nearby fixins bar), french fries, mac & cheese and other staples. One review I read said the hot dogs were "dried out" but that wasn't the case for me. They weren't exactly fresh off the grill but they were fine.

After lunch I went on my horse ride. I hadn't ridden a horse probably 25 years so I went on the beginner trail. It was great and my horse (Rustler) was nice, though I had to keep him away from the horse in front of me. It was cold though, and I was only in a hoodie, which was stupid, but it had dropped about ten degrees since the morning. The ride was about 45 minutes to an hour.

After that we went back up and did some more snow tubing, then went on a horse-cart ride, during which time we chatted with one of the employees who works in the stables who was very friendly. I should mention that all the staff we encountered while we were at the ranch were extremely friendly and helpful, which really contributed to the overall great experience we had. After that, the kids went back to the pool and then we went to the 7:00 dinner seating. Dinner was from a menu, and I ordered the flatiron steak, which was thick and good, and the chicken orichiette, which was mediocre. The sides were mushroom crostini and baked artichoke dip, both of which were good. The buffet tables had mashed potatoes and other sides and the salad bar open. In addition to the previous night's desserts there was an ice cream station with a make-your-own-sundae section.

After dinner, we went downstairs where a DJ was having a dance party for the kids. At 9:30 there was a magic/comedy show that was also great for the kids. We went back to the room and went to sleep around 10:30 or 11.

On day 3, we went to breakfast and then hit the pool for a little while, then checked out and loaded up the car. The kids played on the playground for a little bit, and then we went down the snow tubes a few more times. Since it had dropped down to 30 degrees overnight the tube rides were MUCH faster and more exciting than Sunday and Monday when it had been in the 40s and 50s. After that, we had a quick lunch and headed home.

This was our first "formal" vacation in two years and as I said, I was a little worried based on some of the reviews I've seen online, despite RHR's 5-star rating on TripAdvisor. But my whole family had a great time, and as I said, we'd definitely like to go back, but maybe during another season. Being on the edge of winter & spring may not be the best time, since it's too warm for the real winter activities and too cold for others, and minute-to-minute you might be too hot in your coat or too cold in your hoodie.

As I said, the staff was excellent - friendly and helpful. The room was ok, not wonderful, but I wasn't expecting a palace. The food wasn't exactly gourmet (not that I'd want or expect that on a horse ranch), but was overall very good. I should mention that the chef was very accommodating to my wife's gluten allergy - if you have any kind of allergy make sure to tell them this when you book your reservation and speak to the chef when you arrive. My only complaint about our experience was that it was rather expensive (it came to about $1200 for our 2-night stay), but since we had such a great time I can't complain about that too much -- I'd rather pay extra for a great time than save a few bucks and have a miserable time.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 220 and it was great - relatively quiet and easy to get back into the room from th...
5 Thank Evan68
Monroe Township, NJ
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We just got home today. One of the most relaxing, enjoyable weekends we've ever had. We rode horses, big thanks to TJ one of the wranglers, for taking the time between rides, to snap a family picture of us. Everyone of the staff was great. Snow tubing and skiing was still open, amazingly. Kids were on a paddle boat today after our ride(3rd ride in 3 days), went rock climbing, bungee trampoline jumping, shot a bow and arrow for 1st time, shot pellet guns, played mini golf and horse shoes. Saw a camel, zebra some yaks in a little viewing area. My youngest did a scavenger hunt while my oldest and I went on another ride. Breakfast lunch and dinner was all included ( very good) even had an appetizer and specialty drink tasting. Sunrise is beautiful, marshmallows by the little fire near the snow tubing.......and the indoor water facility was great too. Just an unbelievable weekend. Highly recommend. FYI our daughters are 10 and 8
Joe M
NJ

3 Thank 483JoeM
Matawan
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Rocking Horse Ranch is without a doubt the BEST dude ranch in the North East. The entire facility is CLEAN and modern. The staff is excellent and there are tons of activities . Skiing & snow tubing , horseback riding , bungee jumping , rock wall climbing , heated indoor pool with 250 foot water slide , free 24/ 7 coffee bar & danishes, available spa services , fun barn, game room and WII room ! It was really amazing , and the food was very good , unlike the slop we were served at another dude ranch. We will definitely return and would highly recommend Rocking Horse if you are looking for a dude ranch experience. It is a bit pricey , but " You get what you pay for !!! " Frank W.

Room Tip: Rooms in Texas wing are close to lobby & all facilities.
3 Thank Frank W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highland
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Courtyard Poughkeepsie
Courtyard Poughkeepsie
#2 of 13 in Poughkeepsie

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!