“Great Family Getaway!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Great Family Getaway!”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

This is my second time at RHR. I went to the dude ranch quite a long time ago, and boy has a lot changed! They have really invested in the facility and it is a great place for a weekend getaway from NYC. RHR is fantastic is for kids with an indoor waterpark, snowtubing, and tons of activities. The Staff was wonderful from the greeter when you pull your car in, to all the staff!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
Westfield, New Jersey
Reviewed March 28, 2013

This was our first visit to RHR and we had a wonderful time. The accommodations are clean and the rooms are big. We stayed in the main lodge on the second floor (recommended). The first floor looks like it could be a bit noisy since the corridors are near the indoor pool and main lobby area. There is plenty to do at the RHR. Besides the main attractions listed on the website there are many other activities going on throughout the day. Snow tubing at night and horseback riding were our favorites. The food was great and there was plenty of it. The breakfast and lunch buffets never ran out of food.
The staff was so nice and accommodating. They always had a smile on their faces. The horseback riding staff was truly amazing. My hat goes off to them. They guide 5 or 6 trips a day with at least 25-30 riders each trip. I never counted exactly how many but it has to be close to that. They are sensitive to the needs and concerns of the riders. They make sure you feel comfortable and safe while riding. We did the intermediate ride each time we went. Patti was our lead guide and she was great! She was constantly checking on our group to make sure everyone was OK and wouldn’t start the next trot until she knew everyone was good to go. My 8 year old daughter got nervous when the horse in front of her wasn’t going as fast as hers and the two horses were nipping at each other. Patti immediately rectified the situation and my daughter enjoyed the rest of her ride. She gave Patti a big hug at the end because she was so happy.
This is a great place to visit. We are planning to come back in the summer so we can enjoy all the water activities they offer. I know it will be just as good of an experience as this one!

Room Tip: Recommend a second floor room if staying in the main lodge. The first floor looks like it could be...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank PatS0204
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We just got back from an amazing weekend at Rocking Horse Ranch and there are not enough words to express what a wonderful time we had. We were greeted at the door by a wonderful man named George who was more than happy to assist with our luggage and to extend a warm welcome as we arrived. The staff all around was amazing! The wanglers were knowledgeable about their horses and accommodated any special requests our girls had for specific colored horses, calm horses, or feisty horses. The two women who led us on our intermediate trail ride, Megan and Lucille, were fantastic! Megan led me and my daughter the first time we rode out. She was patient, and led us through a wonderful trot through the trails. The second day Lucille and I had great conversations about anything and everything as we rode, and they both knew each and every horse, their personalities, which horse didn't do well with another, etc. This made everyone feel very safe on the ride, even though some people decided to do the intermediate ride who really shouldn't have! Scott and T.J. were also excellent wranglers and helped our beginner girls along the trail. Sal assisted my daughter down the ski slope and made her first ski experience easy and enjoyable, so much that she wants to continue to learn!

Overall I would highly recommend a stay at Rocking Horse. Even the food was amazing!!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms were quite nice!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mom2eleni
Reviewed March 18, 2013

If you think it's too expensive...it's worth every penny! Had such a great weekend! The resort was beautifully decorated in a western theme, spotless, well staffed and good food. Many little "extras" were included, like free fresh popcorn, hot chocolate, coffee and snacks available all day long. We would have loved to stay a week to really enjoy all the resort has to offer. Food was great with lots of choices. The best part of the whole trip was the amazing staff. I could not stop talking about the friendly, helpful and extremely kind staff. They all went above and beyond the call of duty to make our stay extra special. Two employees who really made a great impression and deserve kudos were George (the first friendly face you meet upon arrival) and Ernie at the ski hill (who was extra kind and attentive to my young daughter learning to ski). The resort was fantastic and the staff even better! Every family needs to come here! Can't wait to go back in the summer!
-Christa (3 day stay)

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank ChristaD123
ORLANDO
Reviewed March 18, 2013

If you are not looking for luxury... don't go..
if you are looking for your kids to have fun..it's perfect!
I was not thrilled but my kids loved it..
I bet it is really fun without the snow as well..
They had lots of little things to do inside for the kids.. the water park.. bingo.. putting contests.. stuff like that.. I guess for me I'm thinking we can stay inside at home.. so why spend the money to do it elsewhere.. it was so cold and there was snow.. the only thing to do outside is snowballs and ski.. and the kids didn't want to ski because the snow is icy.. there is horseback riding.. but you just follow each other in a straight line.. we should have tried that but again they liked staying inside... like I said it is a cute resort.. but I would have liked room service or fancier food.. I wasn't thrilled with the dining.. you were stuck what was on the menu ... the buffet for breakfast was good.. we actually went at a time that was not busy (Valentine Week) apparently the next week was going to be packed.. I don't think I could have handled that..P.s. the best part was the tubing.. although the ice was a bit rough..I laughed hysterically...

Room Tip: We got a connecting room for the sake of more room and size.. they do have some with Bunkbeds.. whi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank FITMAMAOrlando
rockinghorseranch, Owner at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear FITMAMAOrlando,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write the review. It certainly seemed like the kids enjoyed their stay even though they preferred staying indoors.

Since your stay with us in mid-February, we’re pleased to announce that nationally recognized Chef, Peter D’Andrea has joined the Rocking Horse team as our new Food and Beverage Director. Working with Chef Paul Kelly, the duo will be taking our cuisine to a higher level. They have already added many new menu items that are proving to be real crowd pleasers.

Hopefully you’ll visit us again when the weather gets warm and enjoy all we have to offer outdoors including our award winning gardens and sample the culinary team’s new creations!

Looking forward to seeing you and your family.

Sincerely yours,
Steve, Owner
Kyle, GM
Brick, New Jersey
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Clean and friendly. Our second trip there and we will be back! Great staff, food and entertainment. Snow tubing was A lot of fun with the new magic carpet and horse back riding was well run and organized. Great family fun!!

• Stayed March 2013
Connecticut, United States
Reviewed March 5, 2013

We went last Feb for the first time and were blown away. The first vacation for this family of 4 we ever took where we all did stuff together. Skiing, tubing, riding, skating, swimming, sliding, jumping, laughing, eating - and that was on our day of arrival!

After leaving, we all thought, if it’s this great during the winter, we've got to see how it is during the summer! Once again, we were blown away. Thousands of activities to do together or alone, no red tape, no registration, no lines. Just go, and do, and do and do and do. The renovated baths were a nice addition to already comfortable and spacious accommodations, as was the newly renovated "Silverado saloon and theatre". It was surprising to see so many enhancements in just a few months.

Jump ahead 6 months, and we were back again, this time, instead of our annual Disney cruise. The kids just enjoy this more - which means my wife and i can too. The all new winter fun park with the awesome magic carpet made an already enjoyable, stress free experience even that much more civilized, skiers and tubers chugging up the hill with ease, making it even easier to get more runs in per hour.

We find it incredible that there are consistently so many enhancements to an already great vacation resort, every time we visit. At this point, it really feels like we've arrived at our vacation home. To be able to get that kind of family enjoyment, relaxation, dining and service, winter or summer, and not have to incur the cost and hassle of plane travel to get there - rhr is and will remain an important annual family tradition going forward.

If i didn’t make it clear - I highly highly highly recommend you and your family experience it for yourselves.

Room Tip: We like being in the main lodge personally. The kids love to be able to go down to breakfast in thei...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank GFWilton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highland
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Super 8 Highland NY
Super 8 Highland NY
#2 of 5 in Highland
Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!