“My family's new place to go every year!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My family of four two adults two children now 7 and 9 just came back from our winter vacation. we spent three days in the summer and booked immediatly to come back to see the winter. Of course there is less to do compared to the summer but you could not possibly get bored here. The resort is still spotless. The staff is extremely friendly and always present if you need them for any reason. I stayed in the Main Lodge again. I thought the beds were very soft and comfortable. You will hear kids running around however it is a family resort so you should expect that. I know my children were because it is very exciting for them here. The food was very good and defintly a lot to choose from. We did sit with another couple this time again who was very friendly so we were lucky. Last time the family was not so friendly but you are told it is family style before you come and you are only in the dining room for a short period of time so you make the most of it. Once again the horses were very clean and well kept. Scott the head rancher was kind enough to pull the same horses Mac and Zorro my children rode all last summer and could not wait to see the again. They rose them all three days again. The handlers are very kind and well trained they may seem a little strict about how you handle your horse but it is for your safety and the horse, which I liked espically with two young children on horses and I have no control. The winter fun park was a blast. My children received very well instructed lessons and the beginner "hill" was perfect for little ones to learn. Dreugh spent a long time with my son getting him up to the "big hill" until he was able to go off on his own. He did not leave his side until he was confident he could do it. He helped other guests at the same time also. A big thanks to him. Experienced skiiers might not think the "big hill" is big enough but for families with smaller children and teen agers it was great. I cannot say enough good things about this resort. I again booked my summer vacation and it will now be a family tradition. This time we also brought Grandma and Grandpa who also attempted the snow tubing and we could not get them off it. They also booked to come back in the summer!!

Room Tip: Stay in the Main Lodge in the winter so you do not have to go outside if you are leavng the water pa...
Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

994 - 1,000 of 1,366 reviews

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Just returned from a two night stay at the Rocking Horse Ranch with my husband and three kids (ages 2, 4, and 7).

Let me start with the good...
*Very easy to get to and close to home (about 1hr and 45min from Central NJ).
*Hotel was very clean. Staff was constantly around cleaning up the common areas. The rooms were also very clean.
*The rooms look like they were pretty recently updated. The bathroom looked newer. The rest of the room had the ranch theme throughout. The kids loved the bunk bed.
*Staff (for the most part) was very friendly and helpful.
*The waterpark. Although it is small for small children it is great. Looks like they took the indoor pool added a water feature in the center with dumping buckets. Part of the pool was sectioned off with a bridge for the kids to cross. There is also an addition with a big water slide (36" min height to ride) and a smaller kiddie area with water slides and sprays.
*The snow tubes were fantastic and even my two year old was able to participate.
*The fun barn was great to get out of the cold. The kids enjoyed the bounce house and the climbing area with the nerf guns.
*The kids loved the pony ride. Although it was a short ride in a circle you could go on it over and over again.
*Entertainment at night was great for the kids. They loved the bubble show.
*Ski equipment included.
*The hunt room behind the bar has a corner with hot chocolate, coffee, and croissants available all day.
*Popcorn is offered for a snack throughout the day.
*If you are into horseback riding there seems to be a lot offered.
*Kids enjoyed seeing the small exotic animal area behind the stables.
*The arcade is small but the kids liked it. Bring quarters. The wii lounge is also in this area.
*The spa was fantastic. Leanne for my massage and Lynn for my facial were wonderful. The spa itself looks like it should be a utility closet. It is down a hallway in a small room with a few smaller rooms inside. They should definitely move it a little further from the main area because I did hear kids running by while I was in there.

Now for the bad...
*15% resort fee on top of their already high rates. Wish they would just work this into the rates or somewhere else. I understand they have high costs with all of the horses but I don't need a breakdown of their expenses.
*Cruise style seating at meals. For the most part we met some nice people but we did have a meal where the family didn't even acknowledge us once which made for an extremely uncomfortable meal. For the price we paid I'd prefer to have my choice of seating.
*Beginner ski instruction was hit or miss. We were told to go up the hill and someone would instruct us at the top (1st time skiing for all of us). When we got to the top we got keep your skis straight to go fast and pizza slice to stop. That was it. We noticed another family got instruction at the bottom of the hill and it was extremely detailed.
*Advanced skiers probably wouldn't find the hill (alongside the tubing) very challenging.
*The food was edible but not good at all. Breakfast was the best meal of the three. Everything you could want was there. And we were told by other guests that you can have omelets made to order if you ask. Lunch consisted of dried up looking burgers and hot dogs. I stuck to the salad bar with tuna salad. Dinner was not cooked to order. It came out about 3 minutes after you ordered. My husband ordered the steak that was on the menu. He asked for rare and he got a dried up burnt piece of meat.
*The daily chefs tasting was more like a midday snack of frozen appetizers that you would pop in the microwave. One day it was green bean fries with tostitos and salsa and carrots and celery. Another day it was fried ravioli with tostitos and salsa and carrots and celery. They also offered free alcoholic punch during this time (the only included alcohol). They did not offer an alcohol free version for the kids, only water with fruit floating in it. Needless to say there were many crying kids wanting mommy and daddy's drinks.
*Drinks are only included during breakfast, lunch, and dinner. All other times water is available. No drinks from the bar in the main lobby are included in your all inclusive rate (not even soda). Also the pretzels at the bar are $2 each.
*There is a mni-fridge in the room but it is not stocked. Stock up on drinks at breakfast and store them here.
*Skip the stable tour unless you are super into horses. We took the kids thinking they would get to see horses. The horses were in their pasture and the tour was of empty stables.
*The beds were very hard.
*The separate sink in the room was great but to turn on the lights you had to turn on the entry light. So if you wanted to get ready while others were sleeping you had to go into the main bathroom area. They need to add another light switch.
*1st floor was SO loud! Between kids running in the halls downstairs, upstairs and in the room above us I had the worst sleep ever. I was also able to clearly hear the people in the room next to us talking. Soundproofing is non-existant. Stay on the 2nd floor it has to be a little quieter.
*Advertised sale rates are for the outside rooms. Expect to pay at least $30+ a night per person for rooms in the main lodge.

Overall we had a great trip. Not quite sure if I'm ready to come back just yet. We spent over $1300 for a family of five for two nights. This was with the kids free promo and staying on a Sunday and Monday night. Bring extra money for the arcades and bar. I do not recommend this resort to couples or anyone without kids.

Room Tip: Request a room on the 2nd floor in the main lodge.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Didojen
rockinghorseranch, Owner at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Dear Didojen,

Thank you very much for taking the time for writing an in-depth review. We appreciate the 4-star rating and great comments on all the qualities we strive for and that our guests do take notice of!
These positive comments will help us reinforce our pursuit of excellence in family hospitality.

The comments where we did not meet your expectations will most definitely be used to improve guest operations and services. Kyle our GM and I have just met with our Winter Fun Park team. We are so excited about this brand new facility and will make sure our instructors are reaching out to all who would like instruction.

We just reviewed your food comments with Chef Paul and Food and Beverage Director, Lou Herman. They respectfully appreciate your feedback and only wish they had an opportunity to speak with you directly.

Regarding your comment about the mattresses, we do purchase and install only top of the line Simmons Plush Top Sleep Systems in our guest rooms. We do get very positive comments on sleep comfort. This is one of the best sleep systems in the industry.

I do feel there were plenty of items we could have better explained or helped you with while you were here.

I would really appreciate it if you could reach out to me so we discuss further your stay with us. After all, we could not have become one of America’s Top Rated Family Resorts without listening and responding to guest feedback!

I am hoping from your comments that you will visit us again. There is plenty more activities to enjoy in the Spring, Summer, and Fall!

Look forward to hearing from you hope to see you and your family again soon.

Sincerely yours,
Steve, owner
Kyle, GM

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Knew of this place from my college days in the area, but it wasn't until July 2011 that we bit the bullet and booked a family vacation for a few days. On this trip were me, my husband and two kids (13 & 9 at the time). We all signed up for daily riding (actually, hubby only rode once and that was enough for him). Food was plentiful and tasty. The only thing we didn't love was getting stuck with less than friendly tablemates for the duration of our stay. Kids had so much fun that they were asking to return before we'd even left the property.

In July 2012 we returned for a somewhat longer stay, this time with our toddler in tow. Again a great time was had by all. The little guy adored the indoor wading pools. Got the same room and felt like we really knew our way around; only trouble was feeling a little like we'd seen it all (our problem, not the ranch's, as they really go out of their way to make you feel welcome and engaged).

Room Tip: Main Lodge, upstairs, facing the front of the property. Quiet and convenient.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank connectikat
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We just returned from our 7th annual winter weekend at RHR and it just keeps getting better. All 3 of our kids (7,10,12) ask Santa to bring them a trip to RHR every year instead if getting gifts so that's what they get and we couldn't be happier. The facility is terrific, totally comfortable and clean and there's a ton of space. There is so much to do for everyone and the staff could not be better! Every single staff member had a smile on their face at all times and couldn't do enough for us. Many staff members have been there as long as we have been going. The food is delicious and the wait staff is top notch. (that means you, Ted and Carlos in the dining room and Joe in the lobby!) The fact that there are numerous people in the ski area willing to give lessons and provide assistance is priceless, never mind that they had the patience of saints and sense of humors to boot! All 3 of my kids learned to ski thanks to the RHR staff and my husband and I had a ball on the tubes, as did my 66 year old mother! The skiis, boots and ice skates are all brand new and perfectly maintained. The fact that it is all included is so great and really makes the cost well worth it. There are no ski rental fees or lift tickets to buy so its a great place to go if your family wants to try out skiing or horseback riding without having to make a huge financial commitment. The water park is bonus on top of all the other great stuff there is to do.
We all had a blast at the line dancing lessons with Flo, bingo with Slim and enjoyed all of the nighttime entertainment that was offered. We ran out if tine long before we ran out if stuff to do. There is something for everyone. The food is great, even for picky eating kids like mine and the cost is well worth it if you factor in all that you get. We go as a group to make it even more affordable.
I know this will be the stuff my kids remember long after they are grown and I thank the Turk family as well as all of the wonderful employees for helping my family make these memories that will last a lifetime.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Sherilynntr
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed at the Ranch this past weekend, because of the impending snow storm they opened the ranch for guests to arrive on Thursday Evening at no CHARGE!!!. What a Great way to start our weekend. It was so nice of them to do that! I know it was also a benefit for them to make sure everyone comes up and not cancel. But it was appropriated by my family!

The staff as always are willing to go out of their way to make sure you and your family enjoy themselves. We go with a Large group every year and have never been disappointed!

The new Magic Carpet is an awesome add on to the Ranch. As always my kids loved the pool and slide area......Ice Skating on the Lake, Horseback Riding, Etc, Etc,ETC

Cant wait for next year!!

Thanks again to the Turk Family and the Staff of Rocking Horse Ranch! Keep up the great work!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 10, 2013

i was there 3 days in Jan 2013. in short hotel 4 star, food 5 star, staff 5 star, attractions for a first timer skier its the best. but if you want to have every thing one one place with no travel. its the best i loved it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 28, 2013

1st Visit in the winter. This was a weekend getaway for my grandson's 9th birthday. I must say each time I visit I love it more. The staff right from checking in to checking out just AMAZING. Even those standing outside to assist guests in the cold, did it with excitement and joy, and always a smile and nice words. Kindness all around. I am not sure how they do it, but I really have never experienced such a wonderful overall staff, including housekeeping.
The winter is tough for all of us, but they assured pleasure and fun. From the outdoor snowtubing, iceskating, and sking including lessons, to the indoor activites for all to enjoy.
Many activites for all defintely no reason to be bored. Meals are plentiful. Shows were great.
I have seen post complaining that price is a little high. It truly is not the case in my opinion when you factor in all your meals and all your activites this is a steal!!! GREAT DEAL. I have traveled a lot and believe me by the time you pay lodging, food and your choice of activities you pay just as much if not more. Even on a cruise ship where food is included you are paying additional for your activites. THIS IS A GREAT PLACE, keep up the good work. Our 4th visit and sure to not be our last.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DBOUCH
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highland
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Super 8 Highland NY
Super 8 Highland NY
#2 of 5 in Highland
Best Western Plus The Inn & Suites At The Falls

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!