“best fun”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
Brooklyn, New York
“best fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

i was there 3 days in Jan 2013. in short hotel 4 star, food 5 star, staff 5 star, attractions for a first timer skier its the best. but if you want to have every thing one one place with no travel. its the best i loved it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
Castleton On Hudson, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

1st Visit in the winter. This was a weekend getaway for my grandson's 9th birthday. I must say each time I visit I love it more. The staff right from checking in to checking out just AMAZING. Even those standing outside to assist guests in the cold, did it with excitement and joy, and always a smile and nice words. Kindness all around. I am not sure how they do it, but I really have never experienced such a wonderful overall staff, including housekeeping.
The winter is tough for all of us, but they assured pleasure and fun. From the outdoor snowtubing, iceskating, and sking including lessons, to the indoor activites for all to enjoy.
Many activites for all defintely no reason to be bored. Meals are plentiful. Shows were great.
I have seen post complaining that price is a little high. It truly is not the case in my opinion when you factor in all your meals and all your activites this is a steal!!! GREAT DEAL. I have traveled a lot and believe me by the time you pay lodging, food and your choice of activities you pay just as much if not more. Even on a cruise ship where food is included you are paying additional for your activites. THIS IS A GREAT PLACE, keep up the good work. Our 4th visit and sure to not be our last.

1 Thank DBOUCH
Clark, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

Just completing our second stay at Rocking Horse Ranch. It is the best! Others may try to imitate it but fall short in their attempts. The service, the facilities, the food and most of all the staff make vacationing with the family a pleasure. The new Magic Carpet accommodates skiers of all ages. Having staff on the slopes that come and help the new skiers get started and for the more experienced ones take the children they see can learn some techniques under their experienced wing is worth its weight in gold. Everywhere you turn there is staff anticipating your needs and ready to provide help. Hot chocolate is stationed by the skating pond at the foot of the slopes ready for young and old to warm up. There are even outdoor heaters stationed where parents and grandparents can watch the children and keep warm. The only thing I can compare this to is a family cruise, instead of on water on land. Will be checking out tomorrow and am looking forward to our next stay.

3 Thank Familytraveler360_13
New Paltz, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I and our 4 children went to RHR in August of 2010. It may sound expensive but everything is included and there is so much to do. The kids had a blast especially in the adventure pools and slides, rooms were comfortable and decor very fitting with the ranch style. all the staff were very friendly. Meals were very good and plenty of food all day long. We live right next door to Rocking horse in New Paltz and will be planning another trip there this summer. Its really good value as you can use all the facilities from 12:00 on your checking in day and stay all day when it's check out time so a 3 night stay is complete with 5 days of fun. I was reading the bad review and the owners response and I agree, if you have a problem with where you are staying then why come back? Sounds like management really went out of their way to make this person happy but I guess there will always be people who find fault with the smallest things or just like to look for trouble and get a discount! Can't wait to go back again this summer

Room Tip: We stayed in the wonderful large room for 6 people just inside the ranch near the swimming pool, goo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Amanda W
Commack, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

If you enjoy Horseback Riding, this is the place to go!
RHR is a laid back, warm comfortable place to bring your entire family of all ages! There is something for everyone!
We have been coming to RHR for 16+ years. My daughter was 2 when she rode her first horse! Soapy & Geronimo! That's when her obsession with horses started! Since then I have become a lover of horses.
I have nothing but amazing comments about the Ranch and the people at the stable! The Manager of the stables is professional, personable and makes you feel as if you are the most important guest at the Ranch.
It is well organized, and he puts a great deal of thought into who rides specific horses.
The wranglers are well trained, friendly & offer great suggestions to help you improve your riding skills and stay safe!
We LOVE and look forward to going because we always feel so at home.
To return and see lots of the same faces we have seen for years just tells you how family oriented the ranch is.
The food is delicious and plentiful. The rooms are spacious and clean and the new bathrooms look great!
I can't say enough great things about RHR and saw a picture stating it opened in 1958! I believe that speaks volumes about the place!

Room Tip: For me ~ upstairs in the main building.
1 Thank Robbie M
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

I originally went to the ranch with a group. It was fun because of the people I was with and the freedom I saw the children have. As for the ranch as usual it was fraught with problems. I came back to the ranch at the insistence of a manager who gave me a credit. Upon my booking the trip I was shocked that my one night stay(two kids, two adults) was almost $900.00!! That would have been fine if I didn't feel like I was at a run down motel. There a a few things to do at the ranch but all very small scaled(great for a 7 year old) and often not working. There is very little to do for an adult and if its crowded you may not even find a seat. I traveled to Jamaica for 3 nights, had a nanny, ate on fresh food and alcohol was included. All this for 1200.00 including airfare. If you are with a group you won't notice but spend your money wisely if not. The staff is great but the management is riding an reputation which is not reality.

Room Tip: Room smelled of paint or some chemical. First floor rooms are VERY noisy and overhead foot steps are...
11 Thank ginandre
rockinghorseranch, Owner at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Gina,

We have gone above and beyond any reasonable expectation to meet your demands. You have stayed with us at least 3 times and each time there seems to be another new issue. You consistently ask for a refund or you threaten “to go to TripAdvisor.” Gina, we feel we have given you and your family an exceptional experience each time you’ve stayed with us (in fact, on your latest trip, you brought friends along with you to enjoy).

Your comments about being a “run down motel” are quite offensive and off-base. We have just spent almost $1 million dollars in renovating all of our Main Lodge bathrooms. Our grounds are award-winning and our room accommodations are top-notch—rated 3 diamonds by AAA, an un-biased rating system based on hotel standards from around the world. Additionally, your comments come after 2 other guests from your same weekend rated us 5-stars on TripAdvisor.

In our business we provide an exceptional and memorable experience for families, unfortunately in your case, we do not agree with your comments.

Respectfully,
Steve, Owner
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

If you or your family want to get away for a weekend to refresh yourselves then go to Rocking Horse Ranch for a weekend getaway. Just a few days there and you feel as if you were on holiday for a week. The food is better than ever and the staff welcome you and make you feel as if you are one of their family. It was so relaxing and quiet going on a horse trail ride, surrounded by snow on the mountain with a stream flowing by. Close to home yet far enough away that you feel as if you are in another world. Just got home and planning our next trip back

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to tell the reservations people, or any of the staff what you want, they will ma...
3 Thank veslranger
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highland
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie
Courtyard Poughkeepsie
Courtyard Poughkeepsie
#2 of 13 in Poughkeepsie

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!