“You might have thought you had a good time”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I originally went to the ranch with a group. It was fun because of the people I was with and the freedom I saw the children have. As for the ranch as usual it was fraught with problems. I came back to the ranch at the insistence of a manager who gave me a credit. Upon my booking the trip I was shocked that my one night stay(two kids, two adults) was almost $900.00!! That would have been fine if I didn't feel like I was at a run down motel. There a a few things to do at the ranch but all very small scaled(great for a 7 year old) and often not working. There is very little to do for an adult and if its crowded you may not even find a seat. I traveled to Jamaica for 3 nights, had a nanny, ate on fresh food and alcohol was included. All this for 1200.00 including airfare. If you are with a group you won't notice but spend your money wisely if not. The staff is great but the management is riding an reputation which is not reality.

Room Tip: Room smelled of paint or some chemical. First floor rooms are VERY noisy and overhead foot steps are...
12  Thank ginandre
rockinghorseranch, Owner at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2013

Gina,

We have gone above and beyond any reasonable expectation to meet your demands. You have stayed with us at least 3 times and each time there seems to be another new issue. You consistently ask for a refund or you threaten “to go to TripAdvisor.” Gina, we feel we have given you and your family an exceptional experience each time you’ve stayed with us (in fact, on your latest trip, you brought friends along with you to enjoy).

Your comments about being a “run down motel” are quite offensive and off-base. We have just spent almost $1 million dollars in renovating all of our Main Lodge bathrooms. Our grounds are award-winning and our room accommodations are top-notch—rated 3 diamonds by AAA, an un-biased rating system based on hotel standards from around the world. Additionally, your comments come after 2 other guests from your same weekend rated us 5-stars on TripAdvisor.

In our business we provide an exceptional and memorable experience for families, unfortunately in your case, we do not agree with your comments.

Respectfully,
Steve, Owner

Reviewed January 14, 2013

If you or your family want to get away for a weekend to refresh yourselves then go to Rocking Horse Ranch for a weekend getaway. Just a few days there and you feel as if you were on holiday for a week. The food is better than ever and the staff welcome you and make you feel as if you are one of their family. It was so relaxing and quiet going on a horse trail ride, surrounded by snow on the mountain with a stream flowing by. Close to home yet far enough away that you feel as if you are in another world. Just got home and planning our next trip back

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to tell the reservations people, or any of the staff what you want, they will ma...
3  Thank veslranger
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I visited the Rocking horse ranch this past weekend for the first time and was amazed. The care taken by the staff to keep the place impeccable inside and out. Our croons were beautiful and spacious. We love the country decor . The kids had a blast at the pool , game rooms, tubing, horseback riding and especially loved the nightly shows and dance party. The friendly staff made our stay that much better. We were a group Wirh special needs kids and we were made to feel relaxed and at home. The food was delicious especially at dinner and we loved Kady in the dining room. She went above and beyond to help me with my kids. I plan to make this our yearly winter weekend trip and look forward to coming back in the summer as well. A+++ for service

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank ChrisDaggett
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed here over a January weekend, with our 3 boys, ages 11, 9, and 7, and two other families. The youngest in our group was 3. The kids really enjoyed themselves. There is a small "water park" which was perfect for them. While there wasn't much to it, there was no waiting and the one big slide was lots of fun. My boys enjoyed the "Fun Barn" which is also pretty small, but again there was no one there. The "shooting range" was small but fun ... are you sensing a theme here? Basically this place has many things to do with no wait at any of them, but each thing is pretty simple. Its great for a weekend, but you'd quickly run out of things to do. We also liked the ski hill and the tubing although I was disappointed that they don't allow poles on the hill. One of my boys has just graduated to poles and was pretty upset by that. The food was good, and we thought it was a good value. I can highly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Definitely pick a room on the second floor as being downstairs you feel like there's a herd of e...
3  Thank Hfamilyvaca
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Arriving on December 14-16 for girl scout weekend. We had a blast! The food was restaurant quality. I had salmon for dinner. The menu had many choices that all the girls were able to choose what they wanted to eat. We were all pleased. The activities were so much fun. We enjoyed the archery and the Rifle range was fun! The night shows were great. Showtime in the Silverado Saloon was so entertaining. I laughed, I cried, and danced the night away. 4pm was great they offer a chef's tasting, where I met Chef Richard. He was very nice and it was a pleasure speaking with him. At the Bar where they sell soda's and drinks I met Jessica, she was super sweet and was knowledgeable about the area and activities. All of the staff were super friendly and eager to please. In the Dining room the staff were equally friendly. Great Place, Great Time.
We definitely return in the spring/summer.

Room Tip: The room that sleeps 6 has a bunk bed. If you need 2 rooms make sure you request joining rooms. They...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank TipsonRoadTripping
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Just returned from New Years Eve trip to Rocking Horse Ranch. We ALL had an incredible time! There was so much to do and the staff couldn't have been any nicer. We brought our 7 and 9 year old and they had a ball. They loved the freedom of moving from activity to activity...place to place, without mom and dad nipping at their heels.

Room Tip: Our room looked across to the indoor water slide. It turned out to be a perfect viewing spot for the...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank cb592
Reviewed January 1, 2013

This was my fourth time staying at the ranch since new years eve 2012. The people at the ranch are the nicest then any other family resorts that my family and i have stayed in the past. Even some of there competition in the local areas. I have to say that when we got there after a rough drive through white out conditions on the thruway we got a really nice warm welcome from Steve. After talking with Steve and his wonderful staff for some quick moments during our 3 night stay. They are very concerned to hear input and constantly ask how you are and if you need anything at all. There are not many place that you can go and not only does the owner make you feel like one big family but all of the staff does. There ski instructors are really great. They were able to get my son last year and my daughter this year up on skis and tearing up the hill really quickly and easily. We already booked two more trips for this year. Its a great place to let your kids roam the property and not have have to worry about them getting into trouble. Once again thank you for a great and i mean great experience. My kids cant wait to come back and are already counting down the days till the next trip. Thanks again Steve great place and great crew.......

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highland
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Super 8 Highland NY
Super 8 Highland NY
#2 of 5 in Highland
Best Western Plus The Inn & Suites At The Falls

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!