Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
$62
Travelocity
$159
Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie(Poughkeepsie)
$127
$119
Hotels.com
$88
Courtyard
$79
$127
$114
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,440 results
All reviewshorseback ridingsnow tubingfun barnpony ridespaddle boatsfamily resortping pongbungee jumpingthe main lodgegirl scout weekendall inclusive resortnightly entertainmentgreat family vacationchef paulsingle parentshows at nightindoor pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 12, 2012

When I first visited Rocking Horse Ranch in Augut, 2011, I felt like I went from "newcomer" to "friends with the owner" almost instantly. Steve Turk wanders around the resort, making it his mission to get to know all of his guests on a personal level. He made my family and me feel like we were staying with old friends... that is, if our "old friends" happened to own a wonderful vacation destination that accommodates our every need. When we eagerly returned, months later, Steve made a beeline for us and asked why we hadn't been in touch! Considering how many families go through RHR's door's, I am completely astounded that the man running this business, and so very effectively, no less, has time to devote so much attention to individual guests. Topping it off, the entire staff seems to be utterly jubilant to be employed at RHR, and their enthusiasm is contageous.
At mealtimes, families are assigned to tables with other families. There seems to be a system in place when arranging the seating that promotes getting to know new families with each meal. As a result, the longer you hang around, the more familiar faces you see around the ranch! And it must be noted that the food, included with your stay is varied and DELICIOUS! Whenever I go to RHR, I always eat too much.
Each guest is guaranteed at least one horseback ride a day, but it never seems to be a problem to get in two or three a day. The horses are beautiful and well-trained, and it's clear that all of those who work with the horses were born for the job. Not only are they competent and confident, but they really have a great affection for the horses.
With breakfast each morning, guests are provided with a schedule of activities. These include food tastings, arts and crafts, game shows, contests, and many, many more fun things... all capped off with kid's entertainment (jugglers, magicians, bubble shows, etc.) at night. Teens can find evening activities designed just for them. In short, you can never be bored at Rocking Horse Ranch. The only issue I had was not having enough time to do everything I wanted to!
The indoor water park provides hours of great exercise and even better fun for young and old alike. The fun barn, the outdoor pool, the archery range, the playground, and the baseball diamond provide even more excitement. By the end of each of our three stays so far, my whole family was talking like cowboys... my four-year-old's "Howdy, Ma'am" is one of the cutest things I've ever heard.
The property is constantly patrolled by RHR's own "characters"... Slim, Squirrel, Betsy the Horse, and others. The kids absolutely love them. Each moment spent on RHR is magical, and I would recommend it without a trace of hesitation. The only bad part is that at some point, you have to say goodbye.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Paul M
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We just returned home from a 4 day (too short) trip and had a great time as always! There were 4 of us - me & my boyfriend and my daughter and her friend who had never been on a horse before. By the last day all 4 of us were riding advanced - it was fabulous.
Scott at the barn makes the trip for us - he is so accommodating, friendly and generous of spirit! We look forward to seeing him as much as the horses! The wranglers are all so nice and helpful - especially Shannon W., Megan, Christine and Janine.
The owner is as friendly and helpful as the staff and is available to speak to if you have a comment - good or bad!
I can't say enough good things about this place - it is comfortable, laid back, fun - I would say it's a combination of a cruise (the food - which was delicious) and Disney World (the customer service and friendly atmosphere). We can't wait to go back next year and my daughters friend has already asked to be included!
You guys are all great but in my opinion Scott makes the trip! Thanks Scott for your personal attention (everyone feels that way) and for giving me a special "dainty" horse to ride - I was honored. I do feel it would not be the same if Scott weren't there but thankfully he isn't going anywhere!!!

Room Tip: We prefer the main lodge away from the elevators.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MakeupDiva3
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I had the pleasure of visiting the ranch this week with my children and a friend and her children. We stayed for only one night and regretted it. We thoroughly enjoyed our first visit to the Rocking Horse Ranch! The rooms were very clean and large. The staff was pleasant and extremely courteous. I felt very comfortable allowing my tweens to venture around the ranch by themselves. We had a cowgirl take sick in our party and we were allowed to stay in our room until 3pm so she would have somewhere to sleep while the other children could enjoy the activities during our last day. This kindness was greatly appreciated. Our trip would have been quite different if we had to leave early the last day. I look forward to a future visit.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mary L
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Just returned from our 4th trip to the Ranch. A quick note that my kids are age 12 and 15 and this is still their number one vacation destination. If I offered Disney or the ranch, the ranch would win 100% of the time. As always, Scott, TJ, Danielle and the rest of the Wrangler always make you feel special.Not that it was ever an issue in prior visits (realize where you are going, a dude ranch geared towards families with kids age 2-12 and not the Four Seasons) but the quality of food was dramatically improved as well. As with every visit, we saw folks we had met in the past as well as made some new friends. A special thanks to Lisa for the hand and toe warmers. Wishing her the quickest of recoveries so we can again see her up on her horse. Thanks to the entire staff. Already looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Recommend staying in the main lodge especially if you plan on using the indoor pool
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This weekend my mother, two really great friends and I went to the Ranch. We got there late Friday night but they still had dinner waiting for us. We stayed in the Oklahoma cabin and we were welcomed by one of the barn cats sneaking in our rooms. The food was very delicious. We were pleasantly surprised. Our first day we went out on three rides on the intermediate trail. It was so much fun. All the horses were very sweet but the wranglers were so kind and helpful. We loved Steve and Patty.
Since we were all adults it was hard to tolerate the pony club that was there who were very rude and pushy. Some of the parents let their children do anything but that wasn't the resorts fault but next time we would call ahead to make sure we didn't book during a big club stay. We expected children and as a teacher I didn't mind sitting with families but the club did not have manners while waiting on lines or running around yelling by our room. We did meet some nice families with pleasant little ones.
At around 5 pm the horses go to the field across the street and we enjoyed watching them shut the road and cross.
As a special education teacher I loved how the ranch accommodated many groups of teens and adults of people with special needs. I wish I could bring my students there.
We want to go back in the summer and visit all the friends we made. Especially to our favorite horses Hawkeye,Pilot,Elvis,Kahlua and Brady.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends