“another great visit”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
Manahawkin, New Jersey
“another great visit”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Just returned from our 4th trip to the Ranch. A quick note that my kids are age 12 and 15 and this is still their number one vacation destination. If I offered Disney or the ranch, the ranch would win 100% of the time. As always, Scott, TJ, Danielle and the rest of the Wrangler always make you feel special.Not that it was ever an issue in prior visits (realize where you are going, a dude ranch geared towards families with kids age 2-12 and not the Four Seasons) but the quality of food was dramatically improved as well. As with every visit, we saw folks we had met in the past as well as made some new friends. A special thanks to Lisa for the hand and toe warmers. Wishing her the quickest of recoveries so we can again see her up on her horse. Thanks to the entire staff. Already looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Recommend staying in the main lodge especially if you plan on using the indoor pool
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This weekend my mother, two really great friends and I went to the Ranch. We got there late Friday night but they still had dinner waiting for us. We stayed in the Oklahoma cabin and we were welcomed by one of the barn cats sneaking in our rooms. The food was very delicious. We were pleasantly surprised. Our first day we went out on three rides on the intermediate trail. It was so much fun. All the horses were very sweet but the wranglers were so kind and helpful. We loved Steve and Patty.
Since we were all adults it was hard to tolerate the pony club that was there who were very rude and pushy. Some of the parents let their children do anything but that wasn't the resorts fault but next time we would call ahead to make sure we didn't book during a big club stay. We expected children and as a teacher I didn't mind sitting with families but the club did not have manners while waiting on lines or running around yelling by our room. We did meet some nice families with pleasant little ones.
At around 5 pm the horses go to the field across the street and we enjoyed watching them shut the road and cross.
As a special education teacher I loved how the ranch accommodated many groups of teens and adults of people with special needs. I wish I could bring my students there.
We want to go back in the summer and visit all the friends we made. Especially to our favorite horses Hawkeye,Pilot,Elvis,Kahlua and Brady.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Katie Rose S
Jersey
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Lisa is a new activities director. She is wonderful. We had something to do every minute of the day. Food was everywhere. Chester taught the kids how to shoot bb guns and bows and arrows. Slim and Squirrel kept the games going all day. You really get to know the people you are staying with. Kids camp is a safe place for your little kids to go and play with other kids.the horses and staff were very cautious with my little ones. Loved it.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank elaterra
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed November 1, 2012

My family and I just visited the Rocking Horse Ranch this past weekend. We have been a few times before but it gets better and better every time we visit. My mom my aunt and I were all very nervous to ride the horses at first, when i mentioned that to Scott at the stables he told me to come back for the next ride and he assured us we would have a great time and that the horses would be great. We went back the horses(especially Cody) were great but the wranglers were even better they all took care of us some in front of our group some in back. It was the best ride i have been on. Thanks especially to Scott and Mary . They were wonderful and you can tell they are knowledgeable and love there jobs. The kids rode just about every ride available and loved all of the horse and the wranglers. We also loved the halloween activites, the haunted house was one of the best we have been to.They have so many other activites all day long. From the moment you open your eyes til you cant keep them open anymore. What a great place to bring your family. Thanks Rocking Horse Ranch for another wonderful stay!

2 Thank Cheesa D
Pacific Coast Australia, Australia
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I'm from Australia trying to make a weekend booking for May next year(2013). I tried emailing my dates to make a booking. They replied saying that I was required to make contact via phone. (I have no idea why. I have planned my entire US holiday via the internet) I emailed them that it was difficult due to the time difference, that didn't make a difference, so I contacted the 24 hr number, only to be told that the resort itself could only help with my inqury during their business hours. I have now given up after trying to stay up twice to make the booking. I'm disappointed because it did look good, however the difficulties of booking has now deterred me from going.
Sam

9 Thank sam m
rockinghorseranch, Owner at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Hello Sam,

I do apologize for your frustration.

We are a small, boutique property. It is important to me that our front desk team takes a personal approach in our reservation requests. This is a policy that I mandate, a bit old-fashioned perhaps but as a hands-on owner, it is the way I prefer.

I have reviewed your email correspondence between us and I am not entirely sure I understand the sequence of events as they unfolded.

As we mentioned in our 3rd response to you, the dates you were inquiring about were not available due to our full occupancy. We also mentioned that we would be happy to research other dates that might fit your schedule.

Although we have reservationists available 24-hours a day, because your reservation inquiry date was during a period that we could not accommodate, our office manager needed to review your reservation in the morning EST to see if she could make an adjustment to accommodate (or modify if need be) your arrival date request.

Truthfully, it appears we are being punished by you on TripAdvisor because we were attempting to accommodate your needs. In fact, I am not certain why this qualifies as a TripAdvisor review in the first place.

We have dealt with countless international guests, hailing from Paris to Dakar who have all praised our ability to have 24-hour reservation lines, a service that I pride my business on because of our world-renowned status.

If you are interested in visiting with us, please email me at steveturk@rhranch.com and let me know a convenient time to call you. I will personally work with you to give your family one of the best American experiences they will ever have.

Steve, Owner
Patterson, New York
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Girl Scout Troop 1019 thinks this place Rocks !!! The facility is fabulous, the attention to detail great but the staff makes it THE BEST !!! It starts with Robyn working tirelessly with emails & phone calls to make sure our group got all we wanted & then some. Victor, in the restaurant, went above & beyond to assure that "my" mix up for dinner worked out better than if I hadn't made the mistake, Claudia has the best personality to be the hostess with the mostest, JT made our rides perfect every time and Patty in the stables gave my child the confidence & courage to ride that horse when I couldn't. We will be back as a Troop and I personally will be coming back with my family & friends. As a mother of 3, I love the rooms, 2 queen beds & 1 bunk bed should be standard in all resorts that cater to families. Disney could learn a trick or two from Rocking Horse. Thank you guys !!!!

2 Thank Mary D
Houston, Texas
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This "resort" needs a facelift! We found the food, though ample, to be marginal. Accomodations, are clean,but the roooms are sparse and tacky. There is not a comfortable chair in the room, and the beds had a plastic protector under the sheets that is insulting to adults. No quality wine in the bar. If you have children, you might endure, otherwise, for fall
leaf- peeping- dont look here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank alexmaxdc
rockinghorseranch, Owner at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear alexmaxdc,

I notice you visited with us for several days, and I only wish that during that time, you had contacted myself or a member of our management team directly.

We invest several million dollars a year into the accommodations and facilities. We earn the AAA 3-Diamond award annually. In fact, upon our recent surprise inspection this September, the auditor commented that several areas of the resort are 4-Diamond quality.

I see you came without children. We are first and foremost a family resort geared towards those with children 2 to 12 years old. As you may have read in a previous response, I am surprised to get adults that come for a getaway without the children.

We are nonetheless an outstanding property for leaf-peeping, especially when you’re horseback riding through our scenic 500-acre spread.

The mattress protector is cloth finished and is a top-of-the-line product in the hospitality industry; I am not sure why you consider this an insult, this is an industry standard throughout the world.

Regarding your wine comment, we maintain a diverse list of over 30 hand selected bottles from several countries. These wines are delicious and I can certainly attest that we serve a wine for every palate.

I would love to discuss your comments directly.

Steve, Owner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highland
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Super 8 Highland NY
Super 8 Highland NY
#2 of 5 in Highland
Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!