“Just book it & Go”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
Woodmere, New York
“Just book it & Go”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

We just got back from a 3 night stay @ RHR 4/5, 4/6, & 4/7. We were a group of 20 , all family members. I just wanted to pass along how amazing the employees are who work @ RHR. From George who greeted us as we arrived to the gentleman who sat us daily in the dining room , all employees "just get it" and understand the service business...I know RHR did a good job when my kids ask "when can we come back here" as we are pulling out of the gate headed for home on Sunday. Got kids? then book it & go...

3 Thank KennyR0ck

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
Milton, New York
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Quick drive from NYC right off NYS truway in Highland, NY A lovely resort with lots to do. From horseback riding to watersports to snow tubbing. Something to do for everyone in the family.

Room Tip: The room with the bunkbeds are spacious and comfortable.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Susan008
Rockville Centre, New York
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I stayed here with my 7 year old daughter April 6-8. I previously stayed at Pine Grove (what a a dump). Rocking Horse was very much worth the cost. We arrived at 3 - our room was not ready but we had full use of the facilities. My daugher immediately went into the indoor pool and it was hard getting her out. The food is good - not gourmet, but it is a Dude Ranch. The meals were family friendly and a good quality with a lot of choices. Compared to Pine Grove -there is NO comparison. Pine Grove was dusty, old, and the qualityof staff, etc was horrible. Rocking Horse was immaculate. The grounds were so clean and the grounds staff was always there picking up off the floor. LIfe Guards at the pool were great and I always saw 2 at the each pool (kiddie and larger pool). Horse riding was fun, I felt safe and helmets were clean. Boating was fun and again gear was clean. Spend the money and have a fantasic time that your family will never forget.

Room Tip: First Foor -Main Lodge - close to everything
3 Thank Zatraveler
Westchester County, New York
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Spent a weekend here with my daughter's scout troop.

Pros: Lots of activities for kids aside from horseback riding (boating, fishing, bungee trampoline, archery, etc.), great indoor water park, friendly staff.

Cons: Food was edible, but not good. Dinners were especially bad. The beginner's horseback ride took a group of 60-70 horses/riders out at one time- way too big of a group. Spent most of the ride stopping and waiting. One woman was thrown from her horse (but was okay). No in room safe or lockers at the stables: no place to store valuables except the front desk.

Tips: Rooms are very basic motel style (though with bunk beds). Bring a hair dryer as they do not provide them in room. There are mini refrigerators in room if you wish to bring your own food items.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank JessLCH
rockinghorseranch, Owner at Rocking Horse Ranch Resort, responded to this review, April 11, 2012
Hi JessLCH,

I’m sorry we did not meet your riding expectations. As the world’s largest guest ranch, we are constantly working to improve our horseback riding operation. We want our rides to be both enjoyable and safe.

I am currently reviewing with Scott, our stable foreman, a procedure to expedite the rides and form smaller, more enjoyable groupings.

I’m also disappointed we didn’t meet your food expectations. We have received positive comments from guests who visited us during the same dates of your stay. I will absolutely sit with the chef, review the Girl Scout menus and see where improvements should be made.

Thank you for your comments. I take the postings seriously and hope you come back with your family to see our improvements.

Please feel free to contact me directly, I would love to chat further about your experience at Rocking Horse.

Sincerely yours,
Steve Turk, Owner
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We are a family of five (parents, kids: 9,9,3). We were looking for a resort in the east coast, within driving distance from Philadelphia, and found this resort on Google. The website described the riding experience, the childrens programs, the water sports activities, the outdoor activities, the shows at night, the meals and more. We never expected such a variety of activities for the kids and adults; the kids were interested ALL the time in the boat paddling, horse riding, sliding the big slide in the pools, fishing in the lake, wall climbing, playing in the game room, arts and crafts hour, softball, mini golf, and all the childrens' programs.
We, as adults, joined the activities we wanted, but also had a few hours each day to ourselves, when the kids were all entertained by the wonderful counselors, who took them to many of the activities. We had time to ride horses just the two of us, go out to a romantic paddle boat ride, go for a swim or just relax in the sun. We were all happy!

The horse riding is an amazing experience for kids and adults! there are groups for beginners, and advanced riders and the staff supervises the rides, make sure you are comfortable, and that you feel safe and enjoy the trail. HIGHLY recommended!

The food is great. Although the menu is not for people who are on a diet or are trying to maintain their weight, the chef will try to accommodate any personal request.
The room we got was big and spacious, with two queen beds and a bunk bed. The bathroom can use some renovation, but was perfect for our needs.
The resort staff was the cherry on top: they are so friendly, and go out of their way to make your stay perfect.
We returned yesterday after a 3 night stay and were sorry we didn't book more nights. We'll absolutely go back to this resort!

Room Tip: Make sure you choose a room in the size that fits your family's needs.
3 Thank Danielle M
Levittown, New York
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Just returned from Rocking Horse Ranch. We were schedule to stay another day but, our two year old got a fever in addition to her allergies. We will return with her when she can enjoy all the activities. We stayed in the main lodge on the second floor. The room had two beds with an upgraded bathroom. The place was exceptionally clean and the staff provided wonderful service. I booked a Spa appointment and was pleasantly surprised and the wonderful deep tissue massage I received. (Earlier in my career, I managed an upscale spa so, I was apprehensive walking into a very small space. However, the actual massage was excellent and at a minimal cost ($100) - definitely give it a try). Food was good. There was something for everyone's palette. Only suggestion, if you happen to have a toddler who may be sick or will not eat at the designated times then you'll need to bring your own food. There was a fridge in the room. Overall, very happy we went and will definitely visit again and recommend to our friends and family. A well run establishment.

5 Thank Diane M
NYC
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Background: traveled with husband and our DDs (3 yr & 11 mo old), this was the first getaway since our youngest was borned, and we researched extensively for a place that is kid friendly. We live about 2 hours away, a big factor for choosing this establishment. Below is a very subjective review of our 2 nights stay.

Room:
- very spacious, even with the crib (free), nice sheet, but i would bring my own comforter next time. For the four of us, we don't feel crammed in, and there is room for the baby to roam about. We stayed in the main lodge, two queen beds.
- bathroom has no shelving, even with ample counter space, it would be nice to have shelves for additional storage.
- i have a problem with the shower head, it spits at you, and it is not detachable, a bit tricky if you need to shower a toddler without getting wet yourselves. I brought my own tub/stool to bath the baby.
- like the open dressing area, perfect place to park the stroller, and storing the luggage.
- the heating system is a bit loud, i wish i had a humidifier too.
- like the proximity to all the attraction, the food, and the front desk. Very quiet, cannot hear other room, although if you are on the first floor, u might hear foot step from the 2nd floor.

Staff:
- exceptional staffs, very willing to assist. A number of people came to mind: Jules (front desk), Patti, Afton, Samantha (day camp), Ashlee, Estella, Miguel (dining room), all the life guards at the big splash - they do watch the kids to make sure no one is running, ensuring safety.

Food:
- buffet style for breakfast and lunch, open sitting. Good selection, you won't go hungry. I was surprised at how good the food was. i really liked the made to order omelet, PBJ sandwich, their salad bar and fruit bar.
- for dinner, u can order as many dishes as you like, more sit down but just as swift. I particularly like their soups, even my 11 months like them too, often asked for 2nd helping.
- enjoyed the characters lunches, it's no disney, but just as thoughtful.

Activity:

- we enjoyed paddle boat, pony rides, the fun barn (inflatable bouncing castle, a foam ball shooting jungle gym thingie, a few ping pong tables, and a badminton netting), a tractor carriage ride to the bonfire, where we roasted marshmallow (yum), indoor swimming pool (closes at 9:30pm, my DD was usually the only one in the kiddie area for two nights in a row), an awesome playground with tiki (hours of fun), and the day camp area where we used when husband and I went for a horseback trail ride.
- i tried the beginner and intermediate level trail ride, both have quite a bit of stopping and going. There were quite a few people, more than 50 combined. I enjoyed it nonetheless, they want to make sure everyone is safe. My horse Dallas was a bit willful...:)
- a word on day camp, i was completely at ease having both DDs there. Patti couldn't be more helpful with my 11 months old, and I appreciate the time off from them for a little bit. They have a very low staff to child ratio, and I see them often walking around the campus, and the playground.

Summary:
- considering that the amenities, food, accommodation are all included in the price, it is of good value for families with kids. The clientele is definitely gear toward families. As mentioned, I picked this place because it is so close, and I am pleasantly surprised at how good this place is. I would definitely recommend this place for a 2-3 nights getaway.

Room Tip: Main lodge is the way to go when the weather is not agreeing. I prefer the first floor.
6 Thank qqmelodia
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highland
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Super 8 Highland NY
Super 8 Highland NY
#2 of 5 in Highland
Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!