“Winter Fun That's Close By”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Highland
Rocking Horse Ranch Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Highland
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Just returned from our 3rd visit to RHR. We absolutely had a blast. I've seen a couple of negative reviews about this place and the only thing I can think of is that for some families this may not be the right type of holiday for them. I know my son is the adventurous type and likes to to take advantage of the many activities that the resort offers. If you price out everything separately, you would spend alot more money elsewhere. The place is super clean, the food is good with many choices, (** Peanut allergy alert **, there is peanut butter sandwiches on the lunch time buffet, might be important to know if you have this allergy especially if it's airborne) the property has a nice layout where everything is easy to find. We stayed in Oklahoma A bldg (seperate from Main Lodge), my only complaint (and not the ranch's fault) is that people are very rude and assume since they are up, that the rest of the hotel guests must be as well. I had 2 kids yelling right in front of our door at 7:45 am, and adults talking and laughing very loudly as they are going back to their rooms after midnight. The employees are very nice and helpful, they seem like one big happy family. I would like to give special kudos to the following: Chester in the Archery/Rifle Range, he is very good about safety and instruction, Patty the horse wrangler (listen to her folks, she know what she is talking about!) she is helpful and concerned about your well-being as well the horses, Leo the horse wrangler for helping my son trot "Major" the horse and the young men and young women who were working the slopes and ski equipment on Feb 19th (sorry I didn't get your all of your names) who never complained no matter how many questions I had or how many times they had to help me up :-) Also, a special shout-out to the horses Major, Harley and Bravo! If you go make sure to see the horses "retire" for the night, it's very cool to watch. You can also watch them "punch-in" in the early morning hours as well. Give Rocking Horse Ranch a try!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank BEG1969

Reviewed February 17, 2012

Wonderful experience! Lots and lots to do both indoors and outdoors for everyone in the family and everything is child-friendly!!!!! Although it's an older facility, it is very clean and the staff is very welcoming and accommodating! Just be aware that the dining is family style, so you may sit with another family for meals, unless your group is 9-10 people. Food is decent too!! Hot cocoa, coffee, tea and cake provided 24/7.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are for families. The kids stay in the same room with the adults and the kids love...
2  Thank Goodfood72
Reviewed February 5, 2012

To begin, I was with my girl scouts and for a scout trip, this place gets 4 stars. There was plenty to do, the staff was wonderful, and it was clean and welcoming. The main complaint we all had, is the food was never really hot enough at any meal. The food is not that great to begin with. Honestly, there is a YMCA camp we take the scouts to that has much better food across the board. So for that we take a star off for a scouts weekend. Otherwise tons of fun and I would highly recommend the trip. We all had a fantastic time!
The reason for only 3 stars is I really don't feel it is worth the regular rates charged. We got an incredible deal, but I would not have been able to afford to go otherwise with a family of four. For that price, I would expect, better, hotter food, and more up to date rooms. The beds were great but the heat (really loud) kept turning on all night and it made sleep elusive. The rooms are dated and really need a facelift. Take care of those issues and you really do have a five star resort.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank funadv
Reviewed February 1, 2012

We just got back from spending the weekend at RHR with two grandchildren ages 7yr and 3yr. We had a wonderful time. My husband and oldest grandchild ride so while they were on the trails the youngest and I took time for pony rides, wagon rides and really enjoyed the little playground. The water park is small (don't think Great Wolf!) but fun and certainly adequate. The food was good and plenty of fresh salads and fruit. The staff were great, everybody helpful. We stayed in one of the newer rooms not in the main building and it was basic! Two double beds and a dresser in a very small space. The bedroom and bathroom were clean and the linens were very fresh. My only complaint is there is no hair dryer in the room so bring your own. The size of the room was really a non issue as we were outside all day and only used the room for sleeping. We intend to go back in the summer and stay longer as there is so much to do. We were very happy we made the trip and had a great time

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and ask for the main building
5  Thank murfyman
Reviewed January 30, 2012

We just got back from RHR and it was amazing! We have 2 young children and its so nice to go to a hotel that is not only a destination but 100% catered to families! The staff is great, the activities exceeded expectations. I really look forward to coming back next year!!
All in all awesome time. We actually took MetroNorth instead of drove. The hotel has a shuttle that will pick you up! 7 minute drive later you pull into the gates! Great option for families in NYC who may not have a car.
If I had to say something bad about the place, it would be the food. Only because we don't really eat hot dogs and hamburgers, fries or anything with artificial coloring ever but eh, its a vacation right? So what if they had ice cream with sprinkles and french fries every day!?

Room Tip: If you stay in Arizona ask for a room in the back. The hall ways are major thoroughfares and kids ar...
3  Thank Jbabs
Reviewed January 29, 2012

My family and I just came back from a great weekend at the ranch.
My kids had a great time learning how to ski from a very patient and helpful crew led by Mark.
They aslo had a good time tubing and then having hot chocolate on the hill.
The rooms were clean and spacious, I had one of the rooms with a renovated bathroom
and it was great. The staff was courteous and very helpful, their CFO Rocco took time out of his day to bring us to the stables so we would not miss our ride.
The food was plentiful and delicious.Our kids as well as my husband and I made friends with
other guests and all of us had a great time. Before we left we booked a summer weekend so
we can experience the summer activities. I would recommend the ranch to anyone with kids.

Room Tip: Get a room on the second floor, first floor can be a little noisy.
2  Thank Nicholas C
Reviewed January 23, 2012

We went to the Rocking Horse over the New Years weekend. It was as expected, Not a Ritz Carlton,but a very nice Resort with very large and clean rooms. We met some 35 friends up there and we all had a very good time. It was warm, but we did some skiing and horseback riding. The parties and entertainment were a lot of fun all weekend. The food was good and there was plenty of it. The staff was great and there were plenty of them.
Overall our experience with our children was fun, We would go back again. The only negative is that it is so expensive. Like going to Disney World expensive
Nice place and recommended if you can afford it

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank dantum
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highland
Pinegrove Family Dude Ranch
Super 8 Highland NY
Super 8 Highland NY
#2 of 5 in Highland
Best Western Plus The Inn & Suites At The Falls

Been to Rocking Horse Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!