“Excellent Hotel”

Super 8 Highland NY
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Highland
Reviewed October 5, 2011

Thank you to Jenn the Manager and her staff and the friendly service we have received here. Our company has been staying here for over 8 months and we enjoy the friendly service here. Our company works out of town all of the time, and this good service is not very common. We will continue to stay here, or recommend other companies when in this area to come enjoy their stay here. Thank you. Phoenix Group Contracting.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank mike b

Reviewed October 4, 2011

What can I say this Super 8 was cheap clean and had a beautiful rooms and grounds. The breakfast was more than I expected and the manager Jen was nice and she made me feel welcome and staff as well. I would and I’m going stay at this super 8 anytime I’m in highland on business; and I would recommend this hotel to any and other one. ☺ :) :) :)

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Shawn D
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Where do I begin? There are expectations one may have when selecting a hotel; whether that be economy lodging or middle to higher end. This economy hotel could not have been more disappointing.

Here is the laundry list:
• We were greeted with a very friendly desk clerk. Although she rushed us along.
• On or way to the room, the hallways and stairwells reeked of cigarette smoke—not good for smoke sensitive guests, like my party.
• Once in our room
o No towels of any kind
o Called the desk, “Come down and get them.”
o Not toiletries. Had to get those from the front desk.
o Every channel on satellite TV was extremely snowy and hardly watchable.
o The towels were gray and dingy.
o The blanket on the bed had many holes and was thread-bare.
o There was a coffee maker but no carafe.
o You have read about the poor mattresses. IT’S TRUE.
 You can feel the springs against your body.
 The springs creek with ever subtle movement.
 I woke up in the night with a painful shoulder
 Very lumpy.
• Dogs barking—not outside, IN the hotel. Pet friendly is one thing…
• The “Continental Breakfast.” What continent is Super 8 on?”
o I am not asking for a buffet, just a few things.
o Fruit 2 apples and 2 oranges: all looked weeks old. The shriveled skins were a dead give-a-way. And they were soft and spongy.
o Small (obviously pre-packaged) Danishes that were cut in 1”x 1” shapes.
o Five Slices of white bread and five slices of some darker type of bread; 2 plain bagels.
o The staff member who came from behind the desk to “replenish” the food was unkempt. Needs a shave and his hair under control—especially since he is handling food. He did have gloves.
• The pool table in the lounge is coin operated, not free as one might infer.

I suppose I could go on but that would be like shooting fish in a barrel.

I don’t know if all Supper 8’s are this bad, but this one hotel is ruining the reputation of all in the chain.

Fails Economy Hotel 101. Go back to pre-school.

Room Tip: If you dare to stay here at all, ask not to be near rooms with smokers. The smoke permeates teh hall...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Dr_JR2011
Reviewed September 16, 2011

We had a great stay with our dog the surrounding areas are pet friendly.
We used a great website to find petfriendly places- petfriendly.com
Hotel was clean but dated and worn!
Back hurt from thin mattress
Overall a real upstate country no frills place to stay

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2011

The cheapest, dirtiest, most-disgusting Super 8 I have ever been to. The bed should have been retired years ago, the linens and towels are filthy and the service stinks. You've been warned.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Christian M
Reviewed September 12, 2011

so the room was a normal super 8 room. Service was fine.
The bed was horrible. within 20 minutes my arm and back were falling alseep in odd places, and the metal springs were poking into my sides. This bed was unbelievably terrible. Otherwise the place was fine.

however, when i book a hotel room I really just need a place to sleep, so..this was really disappointing.

Room Tip: bring your own airbed.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We were on an extended road trip and needed an affordable place to use as a "base camp" for 4 nights. At $59/night, this was a good choice. The staff is extremely accommodating and helpful, which made up for some of the basics that were lacking. They advertize irons/ironing boards, but they're not in the room. When you ask for them, the board is a table-top half-sized model. There are no bell carts, but they were more than happy to offer us a wheeled laundry bin to use, which worked fine. The bathroom offered the usual little bottle of shampoo, but they don't stock conditioner. None of these things were particularly upsetting, but they were all things I considered standard for two or three star hotels.

On the plus side, the large, sunny dining room offers coffee around the clock and the staff (from the general manager to the housekeeping staff) were pleasant and helpful on all shifts.

We had a handicapped king room because we checked in early and that's what was available. So, bathroom counter space was limited, but we expected that. The hotel caters to a large volume of construction workers who apparently travel to the area for work. So, I received an apology from the housekeeper for the dinginess of a hand towel, which she attributed to those guests. But, the bigger problem was having enough towels and bath mats on hand...their laundry was working overtime to keep up with guest needs. I don't know if that's because they were sold out the weekend before we arrived or because they don't have enough in stock. In the end, we had what we needed, though it was not really a pampering experience.

There's a tiny cube of a refrigerator sitting on the floor and a super small microwave in the room. If you want a fitness center or pool, you'll need to purchase a pass from the front desk for $8 and you can use the gym next door. We didn't bother. There's a billiard table in the lobby.

On the whole, it was quiet, clean enough, and adequate for our needs for this leg of our trip.

Room Tip: First floor is nearest the guest laundry and breakfast room, and is where all the king rooms are.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LynnJax
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highland
Hampton Inn by Hilton New Paltz NY
Best Western Plus The Inn & Suites At The Falls
Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel
Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel
#5 of 13 in Poughkeepsie

Been to Super 8 Highland NY? Share your experiences!