“Great food, great taps”

Gunk Haus Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 42 Restaurants in Highland
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Description: www.gunkhaus.com and on facebook
Reviewed January 19, 2014

This was our third visit over the last year or so. All for lunch. We arrived on a Saturday for a late lunch. We were seated right away and quickly visited by our waiter. He was very knowledgeable of the menu and the taps. We had the pork sandwich with a side of greens and the sauerbraten sandwich with their slaw. Both were delicious but the sauerbraten rocks. Tender meat with a slightly tangy and rich gravy. We also ordered a side of their house cut fries. Very good served with a spicy mayo. Highly recommend Gunk House to anyone seeking more than the run of the mill fare .

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Went with my son, a CIA student. Good call. Authentic German food cooked local, as organic as possible and seasonal - most often.

The Croquettes will fill you up with yummy goodness. Share. I'm a short rib fan, so I got the German Short Ribs. Huge portion. Well prepared. Sauerbraten style was a bit tart, but still excellent. To be honest, I forgot what my son ordered but I do remember we saved room for Apple Strudel, which was great. We left more than full and very satisfied.

Not sure about the mariah34654 review. We did not experience any of that attitude. The restaurant is run by husband and wife. The feeling of the dining room is rustic, sort of a "drop this place in a ski resort" sort of feel. I saw many families with kids there as well as a strong bar crowd, so I think it is a good mix.

We will go back. I recommend making the trip to the Gunk Haus when in the Hudson Valley area.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

the owners are nasty arrogant the food is stale and when you say something about it their noses go in the air and we were told "theres Nothing wrong with our food! they wouldnt even let us send it back to get something that was remotly edible, afterwards my partner was very ill from the food I highly dont recomend this place

4  Thank mariah34654
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Warm atmosphere, very inviting. Manages to feels rustic in an urbane way. The bar has a varied selection of beer and cocktails, and some creative beer-based creations, like "beernog" (stout and eggnog, actually very good). There's a big table in the bar area where you can play board games. Seems like a good place for families or for couples, and perfect for a cold winter night.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Everything was wonderful. They have great food, beer, bakery in house. The only thing I would suggest is having bars at the. Toilet for my 90 year old father who could not get up by himself. Have been 4 times in 2 months and can't wait to go back!

Been to Gunk Haus Restaurant? Share your experiences!