“Great German Food”

Gunk Haus Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 42 Restaurants in Highland
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Reservations
Description: www.gunkhaus.com and on facebook
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I had lunch at this restaurant and enjoyed it immensely. I had the bratwurst with sauerkraut and spicy brown mustard on a pretzel roll and was not disappointed. The sandwich was served piping hot and the bratwurst was cooked to perfection. I opted for a mesclun salad with a sherry vinaigrette dressing and that was also very tasty. It was a good meal and I enjoyed it with a black German beer. I would definitely go back there again. A great view of the Shawangunk mountains is an added bonus. Give them a try.

Reviewed March 11, 2012

This restaurant has a panoramic view of the Shawangunk mountains and apple orchards, and would be a lovely setting for a glass of beer or wine on the patio in summer, but my husband and I agreed that we would not go back here for a meal. The dining room has exposed beams and rustic seating, but could use a few touches to make the atmosphere warm and inviting. And shades or curtains would help to filter out the blinding late-day sun for diners facing the bare windows. The beer and wine selection is extensive and includes local products, but the food was not memorable. Our waitress was very attentive and friendly; she brought our drinks quickly, but we were not offered any bread or muffins while waiting for our meal. I had jaeger schnitzel which was one piece of thinly pounded pork, breaded and fried, topped with sauteed mushrooms, not a ragu as described on the menu. It was tender, but didn't have much flavor, and came with spaetzle, but no cabbage or other sides, which should certainly be included for $19. My husband had short ribs over mashed potatoes in a raisin sauce, which were ok, but were served in about 6 small slices which had the texture of pot roast, not fall-off-the-bone short ribs we expected. His included a side of red cabbage which was very good. Our friends enjoyed their salad and said they would return for that, but said that their goulash was dry and stringy and the German potato salad was flavorless. I did taste the sweet potato strudel and all who tried it agreed it was delicious and a nice combination of textures and flavors. The Mountain Brauhaus in Gardiner, NY is a much better German restaurant.

3  Thank Weezie01
Reviewed February 9, 2012

I met one of the owners Dirk a few years ago while judging beer. He painted me a vivid picture of his plan for a local restaurant near New Paltz.. Construction was underway but it was a ways from opening. Last week, on our way from Albany to Rockland County, we decided to stop for lunch.
To my surprise, Dirk met me at the door and recognized me, but couldn't place me. I mean, we did meet once, a few years ago. I re-introduced myself.
Our server sat us in the main dining room by the windows. What a view. The Shawanagunk Cliffs are off in the distance and an apple orchard is in the backyard.
Ends up Monday is "Kill The Keg Day". One draught beer is selected for $2.50 pints all day. This day it was Left Hand Milk Stout. Perfect!
The menu is defined by fresh, local and when possible, organic.
Started off with a cheese spread made with Gorgonzola, Camembert, Beer and Spices. This was served with a pretzel roll. Very cheesy. Smooth and creamy, dominated with the bite of Gorgonzola. Yummy!! The serving is easily shared by 2, could be stretched to three or more with more pretzel.
As a main course, I chose a pork loin sandwich with leeks and yes, again, Gorgonzola. This was served on the ever present Pretzel Roll with a mixed green salad. Patty had a burger with the what might be the juiciest, locally sourced, hormone free, natural beef. This was a star. Served on a, you guessed it, pretzel roll. Fries were clearly hand cut and blanched before being fried crispy and steamy, fluffy inside. Dip your fries in the whole grain mustard. Its pretty darned good mustard.
I regret not ordering sausage or pastrami. They had both at a nearby table and the aroma was tantalizing.
We finished off the meal with coffee, locally roasted in Kingston and made fresh for our order. Robust and flavorful. Not for wimps, but not Starbucks icky strong and bitter.
We couldn't resist an order of Schatzies with coffee. Pretzel nuggets with dark chocoate filling. Lightly salted, they were piping hot and delicious.
The price was at the upper end for lunch, but the quality was so high, I was happy to pay it.
I heard they're expanding the kitchen to do more baking and other things on site.
Keep up the good work. This will be a regular stop, since its only about 5 minutes off the NYS Thruway at Exit 18, New Paltz.

1  Thank Ed P
Reviewed December 24, 2011

Have eaten there several times and never had a bad experience. Food is great and comes out hot. Service is also very good. Recommend making reservations for a Friday or Saturday night.

1  Thank GSS160
Reviewed October 8, 2011

We arrived at 430 pm and were told we were a half hr too early for dinner,but we could have lunch.We were the only guest's in the dining room.We were seated in front of a window that was covered with gnat's/small flies??.We ordered two glasses of german beer,when it arrived the head had settled to a inch below the rim,leading us to believe our beer had sat a while before being served ??? why ????.One of the gnats decided to taste the beer.That ended that beer for me.We had ordered two different plates, accompanied by " homemade Coleslaw "which was unedible,our server said it was made fresh everyday,it was at least a day old.They were closed the day before,We assumed it was leftover from Monday.Our server dissappeared and never checked back until we had finished eating.???? why ? we were the only guest's in the Dining Room,we think she was occupied with the two guy's at the bar.The cost of two beers,a hamburger,and two sausages both with inedible coleslaw was over $ 40.A real ripoff,not a quality meal,not quality service,and not a clean serving environment ,all the flies.

4  Thank clarkwburnett2016

Been to Gunk Haus Restaurant? Share your experiences!