“Very very bad experience”

America's Best Value Inn
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Highland
“Very very bad experience”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I was hopeful by the looks of the newly remodeled exterior and room, but boy was I wrong!!! I awoke at about 3:45am to use the bathroom and to my disgust there were bugs crawling all over the floor. And when I say bugs Im not talking a couple, it was more like 40-50 crawling around!! The room also felt very damp. I informed the manager and he offered me nothing but a different room. I Booked through Expedia so I guess that's what I get...Beware!!! Never again!!!
Unless you enjoy having bugs crawling all over your $80 room

• Stayed September 2013
Neil R, General Manager at America's Best Value Inn, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Thank-you for taking the time to write your honest review. I am so sorry that you were dissatisfied with the accommodations we offered. Being situated near the "woods", we try very aggressively to keep bugs from coming into our rooms, but it appears in your room we needed to try harder. It was a pleasure to serve you, and we hope to have that opportunity again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Bronx, New York
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Due to reading tripadvisor we were not disappointed . No it is not renovated . Just spruced up . Low priced spruce up at that . The bathrooms are recently done and large as is the room . A/C works well and rooms are clean . Safe quiet area . Breakfast is bagel and cream cheese with coffee . Coffee and bagels are fresh and various choices . We used them as snacks for hiking and purchased breakfast which was very , very good . Very nice atmosphere in the cafe . Cafe staff and motel owners are friendly . The rooms are NOT as pictures as stated by a previous person . Wall paper was cut , pictures not straight with a pencil mark still visible underneath . I can go on and on . Motels can take a beating but you need to stay on it . The cost of box finish nail's and a tube of caulk are not going to run you out of business . Gas station across the street , strip mall near by and lots of good eats in the Hamlet of Highland . Antique stores and Walkway over the Hudson just 1-2 mins drive . We would stay again due the convenient spot . We visited Woodstock , Highland , Walkway Over The Hudson and Hyde Park . So good spot in very quiet area right off the Mid Hudson bridge So it was a good stay just not what the motel is claiming . My wife had a problem sleeping comfortably although i slept loke a baby .

Room Tip: Try to get a 2nd floor room . Others on first floor have complained of noise We were on the 2nd f...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank-you for taking the time to write your honest review. I am glad you were satisfied with the value we offer for your hard earned dollar, and I am sorry that you had a few issues with the room. I have now relocated myself and my family to an apartment on the premises, and I will be doing a room-by-room maintenance check to see what is needed immediately, and to plan for more long-term improvements. It was a pleasure to serve you, and we hope you will visit again in the future!

Travelers are raving about these Highland hotels

Alexandria VA
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights to race BMX at the Kingston Point BMX track about 30 minutes away.

Based on other reviews and other stays I had had elsewhere, requested a 2nd floor room. Stayed in room 210, which was fine. Double queen beds. Upon first impression, did like the room. It did have sort of an old place musty type smell, but was not that bothersome. Just seemed like it was an older place. The wood floors looked nice. And the bathroom was renovated. Had a round shower sliding door. Nice sink with cabinet and mirror. And the room was very spacious.

On the details though, there were a couple of annoying things. The sink faucet spigot is way too close to the bowl to be effective. You are basically rubbing your hands and toothbrush on the side of the sink to use the water. Also, the cabinet space was worthless. Need more counter space for sure as there was very little. Also, if you see that guests are using the towels/wash cloths to put their stuff on (like cups they brought from home), I felt they should have given extra towels/wash cloths for us to still use. Yeah, I could have asked for more, but just didn't want to bother. Just give extra.

Re noise level. Seemed like there was highway on 2 sides of the hotel. So a bit noisy w/ the AC off re traffic. It was a catch 22. Leave the AC off to have a quieter room for sleeping, but get traffic noise, or leave the AC on to block out the traffic, but then still have noise for sleeping from the AC. So sleep quality was only so so.

I believe if you go south on 9W (to the right out of the hotel), you'll come across a very good diner and further down the road is a main grocery store. To the left out of the hotel, I think North on 9W are 2 very good restaurants: Frank's Steakhouse and Global Palate. Global is a bit more unique and has more variety. Both are a little pricey, although the diner was pricy and not as good, but I would definitely eat at either again. I highly recommend them. The little store next to Franks is good too.

DO NOT eat at the College Diner that is open 24 hours in New Paltz off 299. Service was terrible. Took so long for the waitress to come by that we almost left to drive the 16 miles to Denny's, but were so tired, stayed. She never came around after getting the food either. Just a total waste and will never go back. The diner down the street from the hotel on the other hand is very nice and had very good service. That one is fine, just not open 24 hours.

The bagels and bites associated w/ the hotel is ok. Would have preferred to have cereal, milk, juice, fruit, and muffins included. Even though the bagel was included, which apparently in the future it won't be, 1 bagel with some cream cheese doesn't really cut it for breakfast. Especially when the room is so pricey. Didn't even bother with the bagel for 2 out of 3 mornings.

Beds were fine, location was good, they allow pets which is a huge plus. Peter the check-in person was very friendly. Room was spacious with plenty of lighting. Closet area for hanging clothes was good. So decent stay and decent place.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 210 on the 2nd level with 2 queen beds. Was in the middle of the walk way/building a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank-you for taking the time to write your honest review. I am glad you were satisfied with the value we offer for your hard earned dollar. We recently instituted our offering of "continental breakfast" at our on-premises bagel cafe; although the bagel with topping and coffee that is included with your stay is more than the standard "continental" fare offered by most hotels, we realize that everyone's tastes differ, so the owner of the cafe is pleased to offer our guests a discount on any item that is on their menu in lieu of the bagel and coffee....I am sorry you were not made aware of that. It was a pleasure to serve you and we hope to be of service to you again in the future!
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Reviewed July 15, 2013

There are more problems to this hotel than being overpriced. Wow - this place was gross! Bugs everywhere - outlets that weren't screwed into the wall properly. The bed linens just felt dirty. The room was just disgusting. This should have been priced more around $20 for the night....I would never stay here again!

Oh - and the neon sign says "rennovated rooms" ...someone needs to get a dictionary.

Room Tip: There aren't any
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bill D
Thank-you for taking the time to write your honest review. I am very sorry that you were dissatisfied with your accommodation. The "newly renovated" on our sign refers to upgrading we did on all rooms in 2010 and 2011 which included wood veneer flooring in all but one room, and all bathrooms have been fully renovated with new fixtures, ceramic tile flooring, modern showers, etc. Unfortunately, our location being in front of a large amount of undeveloped "woods", there are sometimes issues with bugs getting into the rooms; we do our best to remedy this, but when the doors open they welcome themselves in. We will have to be more aggressive in this regard in the future. It was a pleasure to serve you!
Santa Fe, NM
Reviewed July 14, 2013

A very nice and accommodating couple runs this place, but our room was not "recently renovated." The floors are not carpeted and we were woken up early every day by the people in the room above us walking around. We had to leave the air conditioner fan on high for "white noise." Otherwise, a good value for the area.

Room Tip: Request one on the 2nd floor with a renovated bathroom.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Thank-you for taking the time to write your honest review. I am glad you were satisfied with the value we offer for your hard earned dollar, and I am sorry that you had a few issues with the room. All but one room at Americas Best Value Inn Highland Poughkeepsie had wood veneer flooring installed in lieu of carpeting during our recent renovation, and all bathrooms have been fully renovated with new fixtures, ceramic tile flooring, modern showers, etc. I understand your issue with the noise from above, but we had cleanliness and your health in mind when installing these floors because carpeting tends to keep germs and bacteria in them and under them. Some of our rooms have throw rugs in the most walked areas (near the beds) and we plan on installing more of them. Thanks again, and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future!
Florida
Reviewed May 30, 2013

So if you have read any of my other reviews of this area, you will already know that I only come here Memorial and Labor Day weekends. Hotels/motels fill up long in advance and charge exorbitant rates. In Sept 2012 I stayed in a great room at the Atlas Motel..and tried to book it for Memorial Day 2013, but it was already booked. The manager, Neil.. persuaded me to trust the ongoing renovations at their 'sister hotel' America's Best Value Inn. Truthfully, I was reluctant.. but I trusted him. I was right to do so.

Flash forward 9 months, I can't find my reservation info. (I found it later,) and in this area, you can not NOT have a reservation on a holiday.so I will confess to an all out panic, .. . However, they found it in a heartbeat and forwarded it to me pronto. Personal service began right there.

The Inn is easy to roll by. Use the Bagel place as your landmark as it is right behind it. It is a two level connectedfacility..and I was on the 2nd floor. the photo of the exterior shown is true. I was in room 207and had an excellent experience. As I understand it, all of the rooms have been renovated to different degrees .. but there are commonalities. good plumbing, bath fixtures.. beds..modern t.v.s, microwaves, refrigerator..
My bathroom had quality matching fixtures ,..large attractive tiles.. hairblower and could have slept a family...... But I'm quite sure they are not all that big ! Surprisingly, my room also had granite top tables and a bigger than average tv.. guess it pays to book 9 months in advance ! the floor was woodgrain, with an attractive unusual circular rug.. and the bed quality was very good. My room faced a back area . felt private and countrish...everything green and I liked that a lot .. There was a large chair that opened into a bed if needed. Lighting was also good in the room,adequate..intelligently placed plugs. Coffeemaker
(, but I'd recommend the on premises bagel shop instead). Convenience store and gas across the street.. It was quiet and yet very close to highway .. Center of New Paltz 10? minutes away. The only issue I had, was with wifi in my room, and manager was surprised to hear it.. but thought it might be the storm we were having. He said there is an alternative host to use if this should ever happen in future and to ask the front desk.
I never mentioned the price. It was drastically less than the other hotels/motels in the area for the same weekend, and they ...with seriously mixed reviews. I wish more places had management that was responsive like this and I will happily stay here again.

Room Tip: I was on 2nd floor and floor is wood. , I imagine if you were beneath me, you would have heard me dr...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank-you so much for your honest and thoughtful review. We appreciate your business at both of our properties in Highland, NY, and look forward to serving you again in the future.
Merrick, New York
Reviewed December 17, 2012

I was looking for affordable accommodations for my wife and I in New Paltz and read the reviews of the available choices and was very scared!!
Each place was worst than the next. So I expanded my search to include nearby communities.
That’s where I came upon America's Best Value Inn in Highland NY.
Believe me this place is no Taj Mahal but as far as decent accommodations this place was OK.
The rooms are a bit worn but ours was clean and neat with adequate supplies.
A refrigerator and microwave were also in the room which is a plus
A small coffee shop attached is available for coffee and breakfast and a convenience store is across the highway from the motel.
All in all our two days stay was comfortable and secure..

Room Tip: You do hear the people above you when you are on the first floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mjm2463
Also consider these accommodations in or near Highland
Super 8 Highland NY
Roosevelt Inn
Roosevelt Inn
#1 of 4 in Hyde Park
Hampton Inn & Suites Poughkeepsie

Been to America's Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!