“Now Murphy's Bistro & Tavern, must try”
Review of Northern Spy Cafe - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Seating
Dining options: Dinner, Seating
New York, New York, United States
“Now Murphy's Bistro & Tavern, must try”
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

I just had a fantastic dinner at Murphy's. My past trips to High Falls overlooked Northern Spy, so when I attempted to go tonight I found it changed owners, chef and name. To start, everything was remarkably fresh, everything. From the baguette with white bean hummus to salad. For dinner I had the recommended Beef Wellington, WOW! I had forgotten how the dish was prepared and this was a heavenly reminder. Fresh local tender beef in puff pastry w divine herb sauce, mashed potatoes and amazing fresh, perfectly seasoned vegetables. Relaxing and delicious.

Visited January 2014

Woodstock, New York
“Yummy”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

A good place to escape and have a good bite to eat. Atmosphere is comfortable and food was good. A sweet out of the way town great for a summer excursion.

Visited February 2013
Stone Ridge, New York
“Highly recommended to everyone”
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

The Northern Spy is an excellent restaurant with a beautiful setting between the Shawangunk and Catskills Mountains. The food is excellent and versatile, from gourmet dishes to simple sandwiches. The owner, George, is a great and friendly guy.

Definitely try the tofu buffalo wings - even if the thought of tofu makes you uneasy. They are great. Can't go wrong with any of the entrees. Always some craft brews on tap and excellent wine list.

Great place for events, too. My wife and I had our rehearsal dinner at the Northern Spy and the experience was perfect.

Definitely a favorite.

• Visited July 2013
Poughkeepsie, New York
“How did I miss it?”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have been eating in the various restaurants in and around High Falls for years but somehow missed this gem. In fact, I missed it even when looking for it. Its location is at the top of a steep driveway right next to an apple farm.

The entrance is through the screened-in porch. There is attractive bar area with a casual eating area, however, I ate in the more formal dining room.

The service was very good, but the food was even better! I had the curry pumpkin soup and a turkey pot pie. The pot pie was not the usual kind. It had a square croissant type roll surrounded by an excellent mix of turkey, vegetables, etc.

The portions were very good so I did not think I could eat the entire meal, but because the food was wonderful, I ate it all plus the tasty bread.

Can't wait until the weather improves so I can eat outside or in the screened-in porch.

• Visited April 2013
Bay Shore, New York
“Delicious food, great location”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I has the "Meatless Loaf" with mashed potatoes and green beans. I am not a vegetarian and can confirm that it is delicious. My boyfriend had the spare ribs and claimed they were some of the best he's ever had. We enjoyed mango cheesecake for dessert, which you safely assume was also great.

The decor and setting is beautiful. Prices are reasonable for such great food.

Visited October 2012