“Wonderful stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in High Falls
Whispering Pines Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 5 High Falls B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 4, 2007

My husband and I stayed at Whispering Pines for just a weekend. We had a lovely stay in the Cherry Wood Room. We actually booked this room because it has a whirlpool, but did not use it since there is a jacuzzi on the deck.
The ride up the mountain was beautiful, and we were glad to find this bnb was also deep in the woods.
The room was clean and comfortable. The breakfasts were exactly what we needed. No complaints! Well just one -- we did not have the chance to really meet the owners as we were there very briefly and they were away until sunday. But the caretaker took good care of us, and the dogs were very sweet.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank vertluisant

Reviewed February 8, 2007

Whispering Pines provided the perfect setting for a relaxing weekend get-away for me and my sister. Hosts, Celia and HD, are gracious, friendly, helpful and generous. Their comfortable home is secluded and blissfully quiet. The common space is very inviting with its soaring ceiling and big comfy couch and chair in front of the fireplace. We spent a lot of time parked there, relaxing and reading in front of the fire. Gentle music is always playing in the background. There's an extensive collection of CDs and we were free to put on anything we liked.

Big glass doors lead to a huge deck in the back. We enjoyed soaking in the jacuzi in the still, crisp night air.

I stayed in the Forest Room. It was cozy and the bed was very comfortable. It's a little on the dark side during the day but the rest of the house is so light filled it didn't matter. The private bathroom is a few steps down the hall but that was no problem especially since it gave me a reason to throw on the thick terry bathrobe and cushy slippers provided. It has a shower stall so if you want a bath, choose one of the other rooms. The facilities are clean and perfectly adequate.

There is no TV reception but there is a VCR in every room and a HUGE tape library. We weren't there for the TV anyway.

Breakfast on Saturday and Sunday was delicious and plentiful and included fresh blueberies, strawberries and the most wonderful pineapple. Hot water for a wide selection of tea was avaialbe all day long.

Celia and HD are friendly but not intrusive. My sister and I enjoyed the little bit we got to chat with them. They go about their business but they leave very helpful notes so that if you arrive when they are out, you can go ahead and make yourself at home. They emphasize that they are always reachable by cell phone if you need them for anything,

All in all it was a great weekend and I have no hesitation about recommending Whispering Pines for a quiet weekend away.

Stayed: February 2007
2  Thank Aunt-G
Reviewed November 27, 2006

We loved Whispering Pines B&B. The place is beautiful -- quiet, spacious, and relaxing. We stayed in the Forest Room, which is the cheapest room because the bathroom is across a hall. We slept well in a firm, comfortable bed and enjoyed the attactive, tranquil room.

We had fun in the outdoor Jacuzzi and on a walk in the private forest, where we saw lots of deer. Whispering Pines is close to several special places that we enjoyed on our outings: Mohonk Mountain House, Minnewaska State Park, wineries and some top-notch restaurants.

The hosts, Celia and HD, were warm, friendly, and helpful. The breakfasts included lots of choices and everything was delicious.

All in all, this place offers a great getaway from the city.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank professor2
Reviewed November 19, 2006

Whispering Pines was hidden down a dirt road which I loved. The quiet was heavenly. The owners were very welcoming and we found it refreshing to be given some privacy - join in or not - make our home your home for the weekend was nice.
Our room was very nice, super linens, comfortable bed and the jazuzzi bath was luxurious. My husband And I enjoyed our time in the area - small country towns, mountains - the Catskills. Oh they had a very big breakfast spread. You could actually still get a cup of coffee or tea after the breakfast unlike so many B&B's where if we don't get up and to breakfast by 9:00 , you can't even get a cup of coffee!

Sitting on their huge deck over looking the woods (lots of fall smells and colors) with our coffee - made us dream of our own place.

Stayed: October 2006
1  Thank Countrylivinglady
Reviewed September 19, 2006

My friend and I booked this B&B for a girls weekend. The website was so wonderful and the room we booked, Forrest Room, looked small but okay for sleep. We decided to try a new B&B this trip, what a mistake.

The room was indeed very small, old furniture, one window (that was blocked by an airconditioner and could not be opened), and very claustrophobic. Who knew the room was better than the bath? The shower stall was very cramped quarters, to thepoint that if you weight over 120 and are taller then 5'6 you won't fit. I didn't even bother to shower the next morning due to this fact. The paint was literally falling off the walls.

Since we were there for an outdoor weekend, I was very excited for a New Paltz B&B breakfast that I hear so much about. I awoke to cereal, whole milk, fruit, bagels, cream cheese, lox, and hard boiled eggs. I thought it was a wonderful continental breakfast but not what they discribed on the website. Here enters the owners, which was the first time we saw them our trip. HD was nice enough, but I felt the only reason he came out was to remind us we needed to pay. The wife was rude and gave the worst death stare I've ever felt. We were eating breakfast with the entire B&B and never once was omlets or french toast offered. Believe me, I would have jumped on that. And we did book for only one night so we were expecting to pay a bit more for our room but honestly, 180 was so overpriced I'm still in shock that they could charge so much for so little.

The best part of the stay? The two dogs, so well behaved I wanted to rescue them from the horrible environment they were currently in.

If you must stay here, do not book the Forrest Room, and be prepared for a continental breakfast only.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
1  Thank CRA2006
Seupel, Owner at Whispering Pines Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2006

Both this review and the previous review are from the same couple. We are so sorry these two ladies were looking for the kind of “luxury” that is not part of the Whispering Pines experience, and we do try to express that on our web site. Our place is pretty, but not frilly or overly decorated. We are natural, comfortable, and casual.
Here are a few mistakes these ladies made, however: We did not charge $180. The room rents for $139 during the fall high season, ($110 in the off season), and these ladies paid a premium of $20 for extra cleaning, since they rented for only one night. That’s a total of $159.
The room does sport an antique wardrobe, purchased from a reputable New Paltz antique shop, which I assume one might refer to, as they did, as “old furniture.” The room measures 13 ½ feet by 13 ½ feet, though the sloping ceiling at the sides makes it seem smaller. In particular, I always tell our prospective guests that the private bathroom is in the hallway (that’s the reason this room is our lowest priced); perhaps the lady who made the reservation did not inform her friend of this fact before they came.
Our breakfast has been the object of many compliments – had the ladies stayed another night, they could have “jumped on” our cinnamon-glazed Challah bread French toast, or perhaps omelets … but I wonder why they needed to insult the full breakfast they did have, which was a typical New York Sunday breakfast of bagels freshly baked that morning, a large platter of smoked salmon, variety of cream cheeses, smoked Gouda, imported Brie, prosciutto-wrapped mozzarella, sliced sweet onion, tomato, and capers, warm boiled eggs, fresh fruit bowl, melon, assorted fresh berries, sliced fresh pineapple, assorted gourmet jellies, home-made coffee cake, blueberry muffins, fresh-baked cranberry-nut bread, fresh-baked pumpernickel loaf, English muffins, seven choices of cereal, orange juice, coffee, tea, milk, hot chocolate, and the New York Sunday Times. European, yes. Continental, no.
In fact, I wonder why these ladies needed to insult us personally. I don’t believe I’ve every given anyone a “death-stare,” though if these ladies would like to come back, I can certainly do my best to muster one up. I do apologize that my dogs are better trained than my son, who found their comments about him surprising and hurtful. I’m surprised, given the fact they never uttered one request or complaint while they were here, that these ladies have taken such pains to hurt us.

Reviewed September 17, 2006

I recently stayed at Whispering Pines with a girlfriend and unfortunately, it was a most unpleasant stay and neither of us will ever go back.

We booked the Forest Room, on the advice of Celia, the hostess, as I had asked for a room with private bath, with two beds if possible. She suggested that a foam bed could be made up in the Forest Room, so I booked.

The driving directions to the Inn were quite good, but there was no description of the house itself. Once you make the turn down an unpaved road into the woods, it is difficult to tell which house is Whispering Pines... there are no signs, no indication of where we should park, no way of knowing that you are even at the right house. We approached the house and arrived at a door that said "PRIVATE - USE OTHER DOOR" so we searched for another door.

Finding the front door, we arrived to a note saying the innkeepers were out but our room was upstairs to the left. One of the dogs outside, Trixie, snuck in the door at our feet - immediately a boy (maybe 10? 12 years old?) came out of a door on our right, scooped up Trixie and tossed her back outside. When we apologized, and asked if the dogs should not be in the house, he said "No," turned and slammed the door from whence he had come. My friend & I looked at each other and shrugged - he's a kid.

The Forest Room is about as described in other reviews - very dim, with dark green walls and matching wall-to-wall carpet and very minimal furniture. There is one window that I could not open because of the air conditioning unit in it; the room was either unbearable stuffy, or cold & breezy with the AC fan on all night. One thing that really annoyed me was our "private" bathroom, which was out in the hallway, with a printer-paper sign on it saying "private -Forest Room." I guess I just assume that a room with a private bathroom has it en suite - it is mentioned on the website but I did not notice.

The bathroom was VERY small and claustrophobic. The sloped ceiling, tiny stall shower, lack of any real attempt at decor and printer-paper signs everywhere (telling you about the dismal, well-water water pressure, that you shouldn't use a hairdryer if any "major" appliance in the house was also on, that the water was very hot, not to leave the toilet running, etc., etc.) were NOT welcoming & cozy. As I showered, I watched the paint peel away from the wall where the shower head emerged. Not so charming.

More printer paper signs taped up in the Forest Room... rules, rules. No eating or drinking in the rooms. Don't leave the air conditioner on while you are out. Hours to use the hot tub (which, we *specifically* chose Whispering Pines for, which was not working for the duration of our weekend stay).

We did not see either of our hosts until the next morning at breakfast. Once again, I had booked with luxury in mind, and was disappointed. According to their website, and, now I see, according to the manager's response on this very site, there is a "main course" offered for breakfast on weekends. Omelets & french toast indeed! Breakfast consisted of a spread of fruit, cheese, bagels & lox, cereals and hard boiled eggs. A fine continental breakfast, but I had looked forward to a sumptious B&B breakfast... omelets, eggs, french toast, waffles.... my berries & toast did not quite measure up.

HD popped out of one of the doors marked "PRIVATE" to say hello, and was quite pleasant.... spent a moment to say hi and then to remind us that he had to run my credit card before we left. He thrn disappeared behind the Private door.... When we were ready to leave I knocked on the door, which was answered abruptly by Celia, in order to give her my credit card. With a brusque "I'll need a few minutes" she shut the door in my face.

The whole atmosphere of the place was of people who are forced to "take in borders" in order to make ends meet and *not* hopsitable guests who love to share their home. We felt as if we were intruding and would most likely not have used the hottub, even had it been functioning, nor sat in the living room (I had been looking forward to a fire) as the atmosphere was oppresive. HD was pleasant enough, but did not ask even the most basic of questions... why we were visiting, what we planned to do, did we need recommendations. Celia's attitude was downright rude.

The stay was sorely disappointing, especially for a "girl's weekend" when we had splurged to treat ourselves to a little luxury. Our single night in the cramped Forest Room, "private" hallway bathroom, and mediocre breakfast cost us $175. Criminally overpriced.

I have traveled to New Paltz many, many times, and stayed at some wonderful B&Bs (Baker's in Stone Ridge, and Le Fevre House are both fabulous). I had decided to try someplace new, and I now regret the decision.

The one thing I can praise about the place is the website. Magically, they have made it look like the haven & peace, quiet and country hospitality that they claim it to be. And clearly, there are some guests who agree - I find it hard to understand why.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with friends
2  Thank kmportero
Reviewed August 17, 2006

My wife and I stayed for a weekend at the Whispering Pines Bed and Breakfast and we were very pleased with our stay. There was a booking mixup and the proprietor upgraded us to their best room for the same rate as our smaller room. The owner, HD, was very pleasant and accomodating. The breakfast was first rate - wonderful fresh fruit and breads, cheeses, lox, bagels, juices, etc. - and it lasted from 8:30 to 11:00 am. We enjoyed the jacuzzi tub in our room and the location in the woods was really nice. There are 2 dogs at the B & B but they stay outside and were the best behaved dogs I think I've seen. The place isn't really fancy, but it's very nice with a nice open floor plan and the wood decor fits the property very well. They also have a large jacuzzi on the deck but we didn't get a chance to use it. Overall, a very nice stay.

Chris Yambor
Hagerstown, MD

2  Thank yamborac

Been to Whispering Pines Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!