“Love this B&B!”

Ranked #3 of 6 High Falls B&B and Inns
South Huntington, New York, United States
“Love this B&B!”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My wife and I have been coming here often since the Spring. The property is beautiful, acres of trees and a stream nestled in the Mountains. The home is so charming and full of interesting history. Very rejuvinating and one of the best night's sleep we have had anywhere, Great breakfast by the warm fire, a Wonderful friendly vibe here. All around are surrounding small towns with great people, farm to table restaurants - food is so fresh and tasty! Many Breathtaking Nature spots to visit and walk. This place makes us happy and so relaxed everytime we come here.

Room Tip: the entire place was enjoyable- its just your preference what you like.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Austin, TX
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Ownership of this inn changed in early September 2013; however, the problems I mention in this review would have been pre-existing. Robin, the new owner, is very friendly and talked with us about some plans she has for the B&B, which should improve the situation. She described the decor as "querky", which was correct ("worn" is also a good adjective), and she hopes to redecorate along the styles of the Hugenot homes in New Paltz. One morning when we were the only guests, I told Robin about deep cleaning needed in our room. She was extremely apologetic and was going to have the housekeeper take care of it when we left the next day. The only public sitting-area option is the solarium, which has a wood-burning fireplace with ventilation issues. The rooms' balconies overlook the stream, but the inn sits on a busy rural road, so traffic noise often overpowered the sound of the brook. The location is very convenient for visiting Hyde Park, New Paltz and other sites, which was a positive factor. Robin graciously provided us with a carafe of brewed coffee each morning as only instant coffee was provided in the guest barn. She has high hopes for her inn, and in fairness to her, had only owned the property for 5 weeks during a very busy season. I wish her well in her new venture.

Room Tip: Creaky floors, so second floor is an advantage - however, stairway is extremely narrow and -since it...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Robyn S, Owner at Schoonmakers Inn, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
I was not surprised by Ms. Peterson's review. She was fairly demanding and uncomfortable. What was surprising was that she and her husband stayed 4 nights in the place she describes as quirky and uncomfortable. She led the conversations at the breakfast table and ate everything on her plate. I took my housekeeper over to Woodland View after they left and examined the room. Except for a little barn dust on the fan the room was immaculate. As for the coffee, there was coffee and tea in the foyer but I arranged with her husband to make a carafe at 7.00 am so he could bring her coffee. As for apologizing I remember politely listening to her complaints. She didn't like the quilt colors ! And as for redecorating in the Huguenot style - Schoonmaker is Dutch and completely different interior styles.

'"Schoonies" has been welcoming travelers for many, many years and what delights me the most is the joy that my guests experience when they stay . The previous owners are training me well and I am constantly assuring our many repeat guests that everything will be the same! They ran a great business and I only hope I can accomplish as much .
Philadelphia
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Great stay! Bill and Judy were warm and welcoming. They accommodated our early breakfast time at 8:30am. We were staying for an arts workshop that started at 9am. Bed was comfy! River and waterfall put me right to sleep.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed at Captain Schoonmaker's over the weekend for my birthday and it was a really lovely and relaxing place to stay. The breakfasts in the mornings were wonderful and Judy and Bill were very welcoming and super friendly. It was also situated so that it was very convenient to reach New Paltz and Kingston. The B&B itself was very charming and decorated in a very inviting way. We stayed in the Captain's Quarters which was fantastic and after breakfast, we pretty much had the whole house to ourselves. I would definitely stay there again and it was really terrific for a place that is quiet to unwind.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife and I had a great weekend at Captain Schoonmaker's. Bill & Judy are lovely people. The property was amazing, there's a beautiful stream and waterfall right outside the rooms, 4 nice balconies that look out. Breakfast was great too!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Watertown, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

A wonderful spot for a B&B. We only wished the weather was cool enough to sleep with the windows open so that we could hear the waterfall. Judy and Bill are fantastic hosts who pointed us in all right directions for our excursions. My husband ate about a dozen of Judy's delicious homemade cookies.

• Stayed July 2013
upstatetravler, Owner at Schoonmakers Inn, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
We're glad you enjoyed your time at Captain Schoonmaker's . I'll be sure to bake more cookies for your next visit!
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We do not recommend this place for families. The location is great, being that it has the river behind it. Kids loved it. However, we have never met such an uptight innkeeper.Judi was fairly warm but her husband Bill was extremely rigid and uptight. We stayed at many b&b's and never had an issue. It felt as if every time we came into contact with him, he would remind us to shut the doors, clean up after ourselves, etc.. It was over the top. My 7year old son left the water running in the sink the first day and Judi addressed it to us and our son and we apologized, only to have Bill make sure he addressed it to me AGAIN at a later time, and let me know that they werent a big corporation( totally uncalled for).Even at breakfast, instead of socializing a bit or asking how our stay was going, first and only thing he told me was to make sure our party sit together to make room for more guests. It was an extremely uncomfortable stay. Aside from that there was no hot water the second day for showers, and our friends hit their head on an exposed wood beam in their second floor room several times. We addressed it and they kind of brushed us off, stating that that doesnt happen. Its unfortunate, because the B&B is charming. However, we would not go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. We made every effort to accommodate your family. Allowed a noon check in instead of 3:00pm allowed your children to stay in a Carriage House room when you didn't want to stay in the Family Suite. We purchased all organic foods at your request for no extra charge. We tried to serve family friendly breakfasts. The hot water broke in the late afternoon. We had our service company come & fix it before you returned from dinner. As explained when your friends checked in there is a structural beam on the 2nd floor. We decorated it & strung lights from it. We're sorry they seemed unable to avoid it. Leaving doors open not only allows the air conditioning to escape on a 90 degree day but allows insects to enter. Check out is at 11:00. You remained in your rooms until our housekeeper had to change them for the next guests at noon. You seemed to enjoy the stream even after that.
Also consider these accommodations in or near High Falls
#3 of 6 in Stone Ridge
Twin Lakes Lodge
Twin Lakes Lodge
#2 of 2 in Hurley

Been to Schoonmakers Inn? Share your experiences!