“I would stay here again”

Days Inn Hicksville Long Island
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hicksville
El Segundo, California
“I would stay here again”
Reviewed June 29, 2008

I stayed at this Days Inn the first weekend in June '08. I came to New York to go to the Belmont Stakes at Belmont Park.

It is a no frills type of place but this hotel provided just what I needed. A safe, secure, clean place to sleep.

The area felt safe to me. I took a little walk down the road. It appeared to me that the hotel is located in a small business type area.

There were fast food places about a half mile down the road in either direction. I'm not really into lounges so I didn't check out the one attached to the hotel.

They have a pool. I didn't use it, but it looked okay to me. Nothing special, but nothing bad either. The people in the room next to us had kids and they used the pool. They seemed to enjoy it.

The continental breakfast left a little to be desired. The donuts looked unappealing to me. I was expecting a better variety of pastries and stuff. All they had out were some tired looking donuts. I did see some dry cereal containers and oatmeal. All I really wanted was a cup of coffee so I was o.k. with the lack of food. A danish might have been nice, but no big deal.

The only ice machine is in the lobby. A little inconvenient.

I found the desk help friendly and helpfull. I had no issues with them.

The room itself was pretty standard. I didn't find it too small (goodness knows I've been in smaller). I didn't use the hotel pillows as I ALWAYS bring my own from home. I also bring extra blankets.

The bathroom was fine. Decent water pressure in the shower. I'm big on the water pressure thing. I hate taking a shower and the water pressure is so dreadfull that I can't get the shampoo rinsed out of my hair. I thought the tile in the shower was actually very pretty.

Plenty of free parking available. Also free internet service.

All and all I had no complaints. If there is ever another Triple Crown on the line and I return to New York I would have no problem staying at this Days Inn again.

Please exucse the messy room in the photos. I forgot to take pictures until after we had spread out in the room, and all our stuff was scattered about.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
North Huntingdon Pa.
Reviewed March 5, 2008

It was 20 degrees outside the day we checked in. We had reservations and they knew we were coming but the heater in our room was still shut off when we first entered our room. Even though we had arrived at 4:00PM the inefficient heater in the back wall, never did warm the room sufficiently by bedtime that night. We had to sleep with sweatshirts. The tile floor in the bathroom was like ice the whole time we were there.
The 2nd day while we were out visiting family, the house-keeping crew came in, cleaned the room, made the beds and shut off the heater when they left. When we arrived back to our room at 10:30PM that night our room and all it's contents were about 45 degrees. That included the matress, the paper thin blankets and all the clothes in our luggage. There was absolutely no escape from the cold.
We slept in our clothes and winter coats that night.
In both cases I called to the front desk to complain but was told sorry there was nothing they could do. All their rooms are left unheated.
If I reserve and pay for a room, I expect it to be at least 65 degrees when I arrive in the winter. I also expect my room temperature to be left where I set it when I'm out for the day.
This isn't the first time I've stayed at this hotel and this isn't the first time I've had a problem with the staff.

• Liked — Check Out
  • Disliked — Never was able to get warm
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Hicksville hotels

Geneva, NY
Reviewed November 21, 2007

We (wife and three kids) were looking for a cheap, no frills kind of place on LI for two nights. The Days Inn was at least $90-$100 less than anyone near SUNY Farmingdale.

Yet it was very nice, clean, and easy access to our car & plenty of free parking. It’s a set up like a motel but the second floor is enclosed, first floor covered. Big room, two Q beds and T bed, adequate kitchenette, plenty of good free breakfast stuff - coffee, tea, milk, all condiments and cr cheese, OJ, apple juice, bagels, toast, doughnuts, several cereals & oatmeals, apples, bananas, etc.

The adjoining lounge was really cool place, nice staff, wild lighting-disco stuff, lots of fun for all ages. Staff gave us maps of NYC, LI, and a bunch of great travel Tips/ideas.

On the edge of a large residential area, fairly close to I495, lots of nice stores and shopping plazas.

• Liked — Inexpensive, kitchenette, close to SUNY Farmindale
  • Disliked — wish we had more time to stay
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank TonyBaloni
chicago
Reviewed February 17, 2007

This isn't terrible. My ONLY complaint with this hotel is with the pillows on the beds. The rooms are relatively small, but if you won't be staying in the hotel room I don't see why that will be a problem. They provide free cable and wireless. The bathrooms and rooms are relatively clean. The hotel's in a safe area in Long Island. You could do a lot worse.

I'd recommend this hotel for a 2-3 night stay. For the money, it's well worth it. Although I would repeat what others have said here and say that I wasn't happy with the lumpy pillows (which hurt my neck on my last night there).

• Liked — wireless, tv
  • Disliked — pillows
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank chicago44
Montreal, Canda
Reviewed March 26, 2006

After calling several hotels and motels, I found this Days Inn (Hicksville) which was considerabbly lower priced than all the others ($83 compared to $140). Considering that we really only needed a place to sleep, we chose the Days Inn.

We got there and I already knew not to expect anything but below average. It is really one of those rundown type of hotels that is barely keeping up to date.

The front desk is in a small little room. We could hear music blaring from a bar that is connected to the hotel so I went to check it out and I honestly felt so badly for those sleeping in the rooms next to the front desk (if you are staying there, ask for rooms near the other end like room 120 to 140).

The room itself was just a room. We walked in and it was freezing cold. I turned on the heating but it could only be turned on highest mode so I spent the night turning it on and off - luckily I am an easy sleeper!.

All of our pillows were terribly uncomfortable. Like seriously the worst pillows I have ever seen, ever! They were lumpy and weird. The blankets smelled like spices for some reason but I was so tired that I put all that away and just slept. The washroom was clean and looked newer - nothing to complain there.

Overall, the room and hotel is definitely below average. $83 might seem like alot to some people but in NY thats considered a good deal. If I had to go again, I would take the extra time to look for a better hotel. The few extra bucks really make a difference, especially if you're driving from far away and want a comfy, clean, non-smelly bed to sleep in!

• Stayed March 2006
8 Thank Traveller_mom2
Boston, MA
Reviewed January 22, 2006

While going to a friend's engagement party, we found this motel online. The room was, by far, the smallest I've seen, which wouldn't be so bad if the bed were the slightest bit comfortable. The desk staff was also extremely rude - they were dealing with an unhappy customer before we were able to check - for 20 mins (after a 4 hour drive!). I would definitely fork over the more $ to stay somewhere else - $90 for a dump is not my idea of a deal.

• Stayed June 2005
5 Thank HellzKitten
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed December 5, 2005

Yes, it seems overpriced. God knows comparable motels in my area don't cost $100/night! However... my husband and I researched quite a bit before booking, and we would have had to spend $50 more to stay at a "decent" hotel. NYC and its suburbs are expensive, that's just the way it is! We were only staying one night, so it didn't really matter to us that it wasn't luxury accomodations. The room was small, but it was clean. It looked like the bathroom had recently been renovated, because it was actually nicer than most Days Inns I've stayed in. The bed wasn't very comfortable, but I was still able to sleep. The only issue I had was that my shower in the morning had to be cut short because the water started getting cold. I can't say that's ever happened to me in any motel or hotel before.

Basically, don't go expecting a super nice hotel. I know the price is high, but this place is actually cheap for the area.

Stayed November 2005
5 Thank VA_Girl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hicksville
Econo Lodge Hicksville
Econo Lodge Hicksville
#1 of 2 in Hicksville
Best Western Woodbury Inn
Extended Stay America - Long Island - Bethpage
Red Roof PLUS+ Long Island
Days Inn Woodbury Long Island
Comfort Inn Syosset by Choice Hotels

Been to Days Inn Hicksville Long Island? Share your experiences!