“Outdated”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Hicksville
Saint Paul, MN
“Outdated”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

This was a last-minute trip over Memorial Day weekend, and because I didn't want to spend a large sum of money, the Days Inn was really my only option remaining. I quickly found out why it was priced the way it was and still had room left for a busy holiday weekend. The room smelt of cigarettes, and the bed was uncomfortable. The largest mirror in the room looks like it hadn't been cleaned in years. The continental breakfast looked like a last-minute idea, and you probably didn't want to sit in the "breakfast area." The staff was very friendly and helpful--unfortunately they knew the property was not going to leave a great impression. The bathroom was remarkably clean--it almost seemed out of place with the quality of the room it was attached to. The location also made it easy to get around quickly.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank joerx2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
East Syracuse, New York
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I choose this Days Inn for three reasons. First, the price, wss traveling solo. Second, the location was just between the American Airpower Museum, Farmingdale and the Cradle of Aviation, Garden City. Third, this facility was only eight minutes from !495, the Long Island Expressway, Northern route.

Finding Days Inn was no problem. I would say this is an industrial area of Hicksville. THuis sould should inflerence a person's decision about any safely concerns. The area was quiet during my stay.

Check in was no problem. All staff members were friendly and helpful. They were heplfulmin finding the direction to the Whaling Museum in Cold Springs Harbor.

This is a some what dated facility, however my stay didn't feel dated. The room and bathroom were clean, bed comfortable. NO BEDBUGS. A shower/bathtub combination. Saw no mold in the bathtub. No foul odors. Daily maid service. All towels replaced. Hair dryer, refrigerator. No mico, but a mico in the breakfast area. Bathroom has a large sink, but no counter. However there is enough space for traveling items.

For furniture, a table & two chairs, writing desk, and chest of drawers, nigt stand with clock. I stayed on the second floor, no elevator. THis was no inconvenience . Actually I think the second floor was quieter than the first.

The breakfast is basic. Dry cereal, apples, orange juice, coffe and donuts/bagels. This is not a large area, only 3/4 tables. A guest needs to arrive early, breakfast starts at 6:00.

Some rooms have kitchenettes, mine did not. THis DAys has a large parking lot. Enough room to accommodate any large vehicle, trucks, motor homes or a vehicle towing a trailer. I saw a 18 wheeler parked.

A Japanese restaurant, called the Blir Fish, is attached to the front of the motel. Had one meal here. The biggest drawback to this facility is the lack of nearby restaurants. I was able to locate an Applebees on South Broadway, at the south end of Oyster Bay Road.

In the rear of the rooms is a large fenced in pool.

I was satisfied with my stay. The features I look for are a comfortable bed, clean room, quiet neighborhood at a reasonable price. Days Inn supplied all four.

I would stay again.

Jack L., Syracuse, New York.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Jack L
Croydon, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 5, 2012

During a vacation to the USA, I had occassion to need a hotel on Long Isand, for 5 nights. I had originally expected to stay at a friend;s home, but due to his grown, married daughter moving back in, with husband and child, recently, suddenly, that was no longer possible. So, I found myself looking for accommodation which I hadn't budgeted for. Thus, price was very important. I originally found this property via Expedia, but every time I tried to book it, something went wrong. Finally, after attempting to book it over several days, it came up as unavailable, throughh Expedia. I tried Days Inn's own website and got virtually the same price, so I booked it there. There was a special offer, where if one books 3 nights or more, one gets 20% off. That brought the average price down, making it one of the most affordable properties I could find.

Check in went smoothly, but when I got to my room, I was slightly disappointed. The hotel just feels dated. It reminds me of an older woman, who tries to appear young, by resorting to heavy make-up and dressing in age inapporpriate clothes. It never really works. I tried putting the TV on, but it didn't work. After trying to diagnose the problem for abut 10 minutes, I called the front desk and reported it. The person who answered promised to send someone. I had a moderate wait, which probably felt longer than it was, but the man who had checked me in did turn up. The problem turned out to be a loose connection between the plug and the wall socket. He managed to get the TV working in a few minutes, which is all that mattered, to me. The choice of channels seemd limited. CNN was available, but not Fox News, nor BBC 24, nor Bloomberg, all of which I like to watch. Like the decor, the TV seemed old. The room was clean, but the bed felt flimsy. There was a fridge in the room, coffee and tea provided, ironing board and iron, and an in-room safe. Everything else seemed to work. A bar of bath soap, plus two bars of hand soap were provided, daily, along with a mini bottle of shampoo.

The hotel is near to the Northrup-Grumman site, on the edge of Bethpage and Hicksville's eastern border. There is a 24 hour CVS pharmacy, just up the road. Although it is described as being off the Long Island Expressway, it is several miles south, on South Oyster Bay Road. The Northern State Parkway is even a 1/4 mile closer. South Oyster Bay Road is s lanes in each direction, so traffic flows well, except during rush hours. Ithe hotel is justa bit south of Old Country Road. There is a restaurant/bar of sorts, on site, but I never used it, as only a continental brekfast was offerd with my rate. I prefered to sleep late and eat a big brunch at restaurants I was familiar with. I grew up on Long Island, so I know loads of places I like to vist. My mother, who I was visiting, also took me to several new ones. One needs aa car to have mobility from this property. Public transportaation is minimal, in the area, and Nassau County is cutting back on bus services, due to austerity. With a car, one can easily access nearby malls, cinemas, and restaurants. The hotel provides free wifi, in room, which, to me, is a basic requirement, these days.

There seemed to be some construction workers staying in the rooms above me. The property is two stories, in a motel style layout. These fellow guests seemed to stomp, whenever they moved around. Hwne they came in for the evening, it sounded like a heard of elephants was taking up residence. They would repeat this noisy stampeade, early in the morning, which I could have lived without. The clock in the room was about 20 minutes slwo. On check-out, I was a few minutes late vacating the room. The front desk called me less than 10 minutes past noon,. when I had't gotten down there by the noon check out. I have, on occassions, similarly been a few minutes past the check out time, but I am rarely called, and never before when it was less than 10 minutes past the deadline. This struck me as excessively enthusiastic about chasing me out, especially when the maid was nowhere near to reaching my room, yet. I would stay here again, if the pice was again, lower than i could find elsewhere. However, if price was less of an object, I would prefer a property with an up-to-date standrad of decoration. It's not a bad property and the staff were, in general, helpful and freindly. It's too bad that the place just feels old and a bit tired.

Room Tip: It might be worthwhile to ask if there are any construction workers in residnece and ask for a room...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Joseph B
Toronto
Reviewed March 12, 2012

The amount you receive for the price you pay must be evaluated carefully. Influenced by the quality of the Days Inn in Collingwood (Canada), where I usually stay with my family (5 people, 2 adults and 3 children) to go skiing at Blue Mountain (and where the facilities are excellent and the staff very attentive), on my recent trip to New York City I decided to stay at a Days Inn and what struck me was some good assessment for this hotel in Hicksville, Long Island, about 30 miles from Manhattan. However, while $98/day is not that expensive for a family of 5, the hotel facilities are very old, poor even, with an unbearable stench of mold, not compensating for the price paid. The people, the managers and staff were friendly and helpful, but nothing of that offset the bad impression of the old and simple hotel. The breakfast was only basic, with facilities also very modest. Moreover, 30 miles is a reasonable distance, even by car, with the aggravating factor that the local transport system is not functional to go to NYC. I gave up on the first day and decided to go to a hotel in Newark (where I've been there before) named SpringHill Suites Marriott, which is 8 miles from NYC. This is worth it. $150 for the entire family, but with comfort, proximity to NYC, an excellent breakfast with good food, new facilities (and reforming to become better) and if you stay on top floors, you can have a beautiful view of NYC skyline, including the Statue of Liberty. The only problem of this hotel is that to reach it by car you have to put the address carefully in the GPS, once the place where it is is full of highways, access and ramps. But it really worth.

Room Tip: If you are alone and nedd stay in this area, OK.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Family M
WilliamCheung, General Manager at Days Inn Hicksville Long Island, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Thank you for your feedback on our property. We are striving to constantly improve our establishment and will be working diligently to inspect all of our rooms for any mold or any foul odors. Feedback such as yours help to ensure future guests do not have the same issues that you encountered during your stay.

The Front desk Host must not have known of your desires to visit Manhattan (NYC) but the Long Island Railroad Hicksville station is 2 miles from our property and conveniently transports you to penn station in the middle of Manhattan in approximately 45 minutes.

We have do have a very simple and clean property with an outdoor pool that will be open during the summer. We strive to provide a clean and comfortable stay at a very competitve price. We do have plans to completely renovate the entire property and give it a much fresher and newer look. We hope you get a chance to see our property once the work is done. We hope you had a great visit in NYC and come back again soon.

Travelers are raving about these Hicksville hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Needs to be totally updated. Stayed there over the summer during a heat wave, our room was located on the second floor where they have the balcony enclosed with glass. It was 100 outside but inside the balcony at least 110. The AC struggled to keep room cool. For the area it's in might be adequate, but thats not saying much. Never staying there again!!!

Room Tip: Don't bother!!!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
DaysInnHicksville, General Manager at Days Inn Hicksville Long Island, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
We would like to thank you for taking the time out to review our property. Im sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectations. We really do strive to provide a quality service and any feedback providing us insight to where we are lacking is helpful.

Our AC units are rated to be able to cool each perspective room size but some extreme weathers may provide a challenge for our units if the temperature are extreme for a prolonged period or if the door is opened frequently. All the units are fairly new and was a recent upgrade to our rooms a few years back. We will have all the units inspected and replace the ones that are faulty.

We are actually working with architects and the local Township to give our entire property a face lift and bring it up to date. It may take some time before plans are approved and implemented but plans are definitely being made. Hopefully soon you will be able to experience a new and improved Days Inn Hicksville!

Thank you again for your feedback.
Harriston, VA
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Staff is very pleasant and it is one of the more affordable in the area. However, the rooms and breakfast area are quite small and the heater cycles a lot, so if your a light sleeper you may have problems. I have not checked out the restaurant up front, but probably will next time.

Overall, not a bad place for the price.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate that you took the time out of your day to review our property. We at the Days Inn appreciates your business and feedback greatly. We hope with your feedback we can improve our property for all future guests.

You must have stayed in one of our 1 queen bedded rooms that are more cozy. We have King suites or Two Queen bedded rooms that are only a few dollars more but amazingly the room is about twice the size! We will look into the cycling matter with the heaters and see if it is normal for those units or if one happens to be faulty.

We also have plans to enlarge our breakfast room to accomodate more guests and give it an updated look.

We strive to provide clean and comfortable accomodations at a very very competitive price and we thank you for choosing us. We hope you will be in the area to try our largers rooms in the future. I believe you would be very impressed at the difference in size.
Clarksville, Tennessee
Reviewed October 13, 2011

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights. Very comfortable, clean, and convenient location. We had to modify our trip and the staff and general manager were extremely helpful. They went above and beyond to help our situation. These guys know customer relations and are not about taking your money.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the kind words and taking the time out to review our property! We are very happy to hear that we have met and and exceeded your expectations. We feel that customer service and satisfaction is our highest concern.

Of course we are in the business of making money but thru superior customer service and clean and comfortable accomodations. We pride ourselves in being fair and as accomodating as possible to our guest's even when plans change and require you to depart prematurely. We hope your travel brings you to our area again, We look forward to serving you again in the future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hicksville
Econo Lodge Hicksville
Econo Lodge Hicksville
#1 of 2 in Hicksville
Best Western Woodbury Inn
Extended Stay America - Long Island - Bethpage
Red Roof PLUS+ Long Island
Days Inn Woodbury Long Island
Comfort Inn Syosset by Choice Hotels

Been to Days Inn Hicksville Long Island? Share your experiences!