“Excellent Rooms at Great Rates”

Red Roof Inn & Suites Herkimer
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Herkimer
Port Dover, Canada
“Excellent Rooms at Great Rates”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My husband and I were redoing our honeymoon trip to the Maine forty years later and had stayed at the Herkimer some 20 years prior on our way with our kids to Cooperstown, N.Y. At that time, the Herkimer was the "run-of-the-mill" usual motel. Our boys had found some "sow bugs" in the corner of the room and over the years we had laughed about our stay at "The Herkimer". So when I told our boys we were going to be staying at The Herkimer Motel on our way back from Maine, they were appalled "The Herkimer" are you crazy. They realized this was a very special trip for us. I said it was only one night and we wanted to take a boat cruise on the Erie Barge Canal and that was the closest town. Our eldest son mentioned that when a motel keeps the same name and is so "old" it usually goes down hill. With that thought in mind you can imagine our surprise when we arrived at the Motel and we immediately noticed the granite counter tops and the rather upscale look to the lobby. The staff were extremely helpful offering to carry our luggage to the second floor as there was no elevator. Once we opened our door to our room we were taken aback. We could not believe our eyes. The room (and the others were the same -- apparently remodeled ten years ago although it looked like they had been done last week they were so clean and tidy) had beautiful bedding with beautiful contrasting pillows on each of the double beds in our room. There was a leather arm chair as well as a flat screen TV, a refrigerator, microwave and coffee machine with organic coffee for our morning drink. The dark brown venetian blinds complemented the beige room with white crown molding and trim. The vanity sink had designer taps and a lady's side make-up mirror with an edge light with an automatic off setting. Everything looked brand new!! This is a motel that knows how to treat guests. I must say in all my years of motels and hotels, I have NEVER EVER stayed in a place that was so impeccably clean, neat, and well appointed. The price for this motel was much less expensive than I would have thought for the quality of the facility. I was told by the current manager who is probably the 3rd in the motel's history -- it opened in 1962, that the original owner still owns the property and calls the manager daily to make sure things are running smoothly. This speaks volumes to how a long time business owner can keep up with the times and trends and provide a fabulous facility in a small town such as Herkimer.
I will always stop at The Herkimer Motel and Suites (as they are now known) if I am travelling in the area. As I said, the quality and the rates cannot be beat.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LindyLou1214

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
Clifton Park, NY
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I found this motel through Trip Advisor and decided to try it because of the good reviews. We were not disappointed. As a family of 6 (two adults and four teens) it's very hard to find somewhere to stay where you don't have to book two rooms. Herkimer Motel had a 2 suite room with 3 queen beds for a very reasonable price. I was thrilled with that and didn't expect much more, so we were really amazed at how nice it was. Clean, comfortable, spacious. Our room also had a kitchenette with a microwave, fridge/freezer, sink and cabinets. There were two flat screen televisions, a nice work table, wifi, and wow...really soft towels that felt like they should have been from a luxury hotel. We didn't get to try out the pool or the fitness center, but both looked nice. The lobby was very inviting with nice little touches like games, reading material, etc. The continental breakfast was fine as well...English muffins, bagels, cold cereal, oatmeal, boiled eggs, yogurt, muffins, juices, coffee, tea, hot chocolate. I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but we thought it was quite good. The staff is also very friendly and professional. Yes, it is between train tracks and the thruway. We were in the back building and it really didn't bother us. The only "problem" was our upstairs neighbors who sounded like they were conducting a track meet over our heads at 11:30pm. Honestly...I'm a heavy sleeper and not much keeps me awake (not even trains or a thruway), but these folks were incredibly noisy. There was also some kind of motorized noise...it almost sounded like they were vacuuming, but not quite. I'm still curious what that was about...maybe inflating air mattresses? Anyway, that's certainly not the motel's fault. I only bring it up because I finally had to call the front desk at about midnight as we were not getting any sleep. They were friendly and understanding and immediately said they would call the other room for us. I was surprised to get a call back from the front desk within about a minute, just letting us know that the folks above had just checked in and "should be settling down in a few minutes". As a bonus, the motel is quite close to eating and shopping and attractions like the Herkimer Diamond Mine, Reminton Arms Museum and Erie Canal Cruise. I really can't imagine staying anywhere else next time we're in Herkimer!

Room Tip: As per other tips, I requested a room "in the middle" to cut down on train/thruway noise...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank cbkkjt
Riverhead
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stopped for one night on our way to Niagara Falls at this A plus motel and were more than impressed! This motel had it all...great room and beds, so neat and clean (thanks to our housekeeper Gladys) and comfortable. The room was quiet even though it was near the highway, and the staff was sooo pleasant and helpful. The breakfast room was bright and cheery and had a good selection of cold foods
to get your day well started. I thought this little motel actually was better in some ways than your "Name Brand 4 star" hotels. Definitely a great choice and wonderful value for your money!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Susquehanna, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Great people own an run this place. Very clean. Parking is a little tough if you are in the back building and have alot of stuff like we did but It was worth it. This is the best place to stay in Herkimer and the locals will tell you that. The staff is so helpful and full of knowledge. Ask them before you choose an event to do. Their tip will be well worth it.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask the front desk for recommendations. You will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mike C
Illinois
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We happened upon this sweet little place late one evening. What a joy it was to find that it was such a wonderful place to stay. The interiors were well furnished and very clean, with very comfortable beds. The staff was friendly and eager to help. This family owned hotel is one that we hope we will visit again.

Room Tip: No elevators, so if you are unable to carry bags up the stairs, be sure to ask for a first floor roo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Ashtabula, Ohio
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This is a well kept older motel with outside doors. Was perfect for my short one night stay on a quick trip home. Great location right off the turnpike. Staff was friendly. Room was clean and comfortable. Breakfast is nothing to write home about but it got me out the door and on my way.
Great value and would stay again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank spinman15
norwood
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed at the Herkimer Motel& Suites last night. And while I always do my research of reviews on places to stay, it is always great when they check out right! Great room, friendly and caring staff and a great price! It was also just off I90 and very easy to find. we were concerned that because of that it might be noisy, but our room was very quiet. We aso got a wonderful recommendation for a place for supper called PKs Pub. We will be coming back through onI90 next week and look forward to our next stay! Big thanks!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from highway.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank chickadee98
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herkimer
Inn Towne Motel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Utica
The Lake House
The Lake House
#4 of 4 in Richfield Springs

Been to Red Roof Inn & Suites Herkimer? Share your experiences!