“Paradise for younger kids”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Herkimer
Herkimer KOA Campground
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Recently stayed there with my two sons (aged 6 & 10). For them it was pretty much perfect. Bunk beds in the "kabin," Herkimer Diamonds to mine across the street, a pool, a river to tube down and explore, campfires at night and ice cream at the camp store. I liked that I could park my car and leave it. Everything is very walkable. I also liked the clean showers and nice staff. My boys are already asking to go back next year.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PennsyTravelers

Reviewed September 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our first night of cross-country driving. Wow! We were so impressed. Our tent site was like it was out of a magazine right on the edge of a beautiful river. We also had WiFi that reached the tent which was great. Picnic table and fire pit at each site. We had one site open to us on the left which was nice because it gave us a little more space. If you can, ask for a site that doesn't have people next to you so you have more room -- but this is the case with any campground I think, and you can't beat the views. We saw fish jumping in the river and a flock of geese flew up the river at dusk. The bathrooms were very clean. This is my favorite campground!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jessica G
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We all went the third weekend of Aug. 2013. And when I say "we" I mean about 20 of us. Adults and children. Some got sites along the West Canada creek, others went to were there was electric and the few of us got field sites. This is a trip that most of us had done for the third time, some had never been camping. One couple with their child got a Kabin, while the rest of us had tents. The sites themselves are grassy for the most part, the campground is clean, the employees were nice and helpful. They have got activities for the kids and a movies on the screen at the pavilion. A dog park for the four legged family members. Then of course there is the Diamond mine right across the street from the campground! This is fun for all, we have never gone home empty handed. Highly recommended for anyone who wants a family atmosphere. PS. Don't forget your tubes because of course you have to go tubing down the river!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

A great family KOA site. Tons of things to do in the area and across the street. A word of caution to those with allergies...they serve ice cream after bingo and the trivia games. Although the ice cream is delicious ....beware for those who have peanut or just any kind of nuts. My husband after eating his ice cream, came down with severe allergic reaction. Even though he had just the vanilla and chocolate ice creams, the server behind the counter used the same scoops for the all the flavors. I went over to ask the server if he washed the scoops between servings, he replied yes- with a scared look on his face. A quick look at the "washing" reflected the use of a "bowl" filled with water. The next day we informed the desk of the incident. Our suggestion was to get rid of the "nut" flavors. Can you imagine if this happened to a child???

2  Thank corinne4616
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My family recently stayed at the Herkimer KOA - we were lucky to secure site 98, which was a "deluxe" tent site along West Canada Creek. The site was right on the water, with plenty of trees to hang a tarp for added cover. I would definitely reserve sites 97-100 anytime - as these sites were close to the bathrooms, near a water supply, but far away from the main area (the pool, the main building). Our favorite part was tubing down the creek. It was nice to have a site with a picnic table, swing for two, fire pit w/cooking grate - and PLENTY of room between neighboring sites.

Room Tip: Sites 97-100 are perfect for campers w/tents looking for some extra room, right on the creek. Kids...
6  Thank SoxMom19
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Our family has stayed at the Herkimer KOA twice. Both times have impressed us. For our visits we stayed in a deluxe campsite that had a concrete patio, propane BBQ, and a patio set with umbrella. These deluxe sites are back ins but easy to get into with a large trailer. (Our trailer is over 30 feet)The campground is extremely clean, including bathrooms and has helpful friendly staff.

On our most recent trip the area had quite a bit of rain a few days before so the site was a little wet but not bad.

We will definitely stay here again when passing through northern NY.

Room Tip: If it's in your budget, pay the extra and get a deluxe site. These are really nice.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

this camping spot was a highlight of our trip. buy or bring an inner tube so you can float the river. walk up to stream with your inner tube float down get out and repeat. the frisbee golf was nice and free. many campsites directly on the river with great evening sounds. we did not do the diamond mine maybe next trip.

• Stayed: July 2013