“Good diner food”

Crazy Otto's Empire Diner
Ranked #1 of 40 Restaurants in Herkimer
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Welcome to our original 1952 Mountainview Diner voted Best Upstate New York Diner. Best Atmosphere. Best Bacon. Best Hollandaise. Best Pie Crust. Now celebrating 65 years in the Mohawk Valley and once noted as the "most modern kitchen in New York." We have a HUGE menu and the best staff around. We offer special menus for Gluten Free, Kids and Seniors as well as a great Value Meal Menu including a beverage. Our food is homemade and we pay attention to all the small details. Located only one mile from the New York State Thruway (Interstate 90) at exit 30. You'll be so glad you decided to come visit. Thanks for checking us out.
Detroit, MI
“Good diner food”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I think a previous reviewer was unfair. Crazy Otto's attracts a wide variety of people, who are usually treated very well. I have eaten at the Empire Diner over the years and never had any problems if I accept Herkimer on its own terms. They make their own corned beef hash (the only way I'll order it) and the coffee was hot and constant. What's not to love?

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Motowners

Saratoga, NY
“A nice local find”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Great breakfast and lunch. Try anything with the Ortega chilis. They are similar to green chilis and adds a mild chili flavor to any sandwich or burger. Greated personally at the door by owner. Extremely friendly staff, very attentive and sincere. Large portions, neat decor and typical diner surroundings. We enjoyed our meal and experience. Place was full of locals and repeat customers. It was clean and staff was quick to clear and wipe tables for the constant line of guests. We'll make this a frequent stop when traveling from Albany on Thruway.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Donitta21
“Good Breakfast”
Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

We stopped for a late breakfast.....were immediately served coffee. Our waitress told us that the portions were huge and pointed out the smaller options. The size was perfect and things were cooked exactly as ordered. Our cups were frequently refilled. The entire staff was friendly and gave us great service.

1 Thank Sharon H
Bedford MA
“Place reeked of urine, turned around and left”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

The stench hit us smack in the face as soon as we walked in. I thought maybe someone near the door had B.O., so we walked down to a booth in an empty part of the diner. No improvement. Neither my husband nor I had remarked on the smell but then he just looked at me and said, "Should we leave? I'm losing my appetite." and I knew exactly what he was talking about. We'd ordered drinks so just left the money for those and left. Totally vile.

• Visited August 2012
2 Thank MegBedfordMA
Kim T, Owner at Crazy Otto's Empire Diner, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
We're sorry you had this experience in our restaurant. I can only wish that you had taken the time and talked to someone about what was happening at the time of your visit. We had an 83 year old man with dementia sitting on counter seat 11 by the front door. This gentleman had an accident and urinated himself. When we became aware of what happened, we cleaned up the gentlemen and escorted him outside the building and proceeded to clean and disinfect the area. We have no control over accidents of this nature with an elderly population. Having been in this business for over 40 years, I have had people die in my restaurants, have seizures, have babies and children that have had bodily accidents. We have had customers get sick and vomit. The list could go on. It is a public restaurant and things happen that are out of our control at the diner. My husband a ServSafe Instructor and Proctor for the National Restaurant Association, teaching food safety and cleanliness. We have several of the highest marks in Herkimer County in cleanliness and evaluations from the Health Department. This unfortunate accident had nothing to do with our cleanliness, quality of food or service of the staff, as you can see from the other reviews. This was an isolated incident of one customer that affected many and we responded accordingly. If you had given us the opportunity, we would have been able to take care of you and your visit could have been a great experience. We can guarantee that this is not an issue. The next time you are in our area, please take a moment and stop by and allow us to show you the difference.
Central NY State
“Good food!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This place is very retro and fun!
The food is good and the service is too.

Its a really neat place to eat at.

Its a diner type environment which I love.

Restrooms are clean, Yay!

• Visited May 2012