“A cozy and warm eatery”

Nana Gail's Cafe
Cuisines: American
“A cozy and warm eatery”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

We stopped in for lunch on a cold December day and were greeted by the cozy country atmosphere and friendly service. My tuna melt was great and the grilled cheese my husband had looked good as well. Yummy comfort food in my book and a great place to catch a tasty bite to eat and get out of the cold!

• Visited December 2013

Pine Plains, New York, USA
“Good Sandwiches”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We had lunch here on a Friday. We sat at a little table on the porch. Our server was very nice and attentive. The sandwiches were just right served with a pickle and a side of potato chips. Just what we were looking for

• Visited August 2013
Hopewell, New York
“Nana Gails delivers tasty lunches”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Stopped here for lunch after a morning on the Hunter Mountain Zipline course and we were pleasantly surprised. We both had very tasty lunches from this charming small town restaurant.
Our server was very nice and our food prepared quickly and expertly.
Such a nice find.

• Visited August 2013
New York City, New York
“Huge Pancakes - Loved the Parfait”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We had Sunday Breakfast at Nana Gail's. The restaurant is so adorable, nicely decorated, clean and my husband said the coffee was great - I drink tea. They serve their coffee in large mugs....just like you use at home. The waitress was always smiling and the customers were laughing and enjoying each other's company. He had pancakes and eggs and I had the parfait - all was delicious and price reasonable.

• Visited May 2013
17 Thank Chris S
cape may court house, n.j.
“Go For the Breakfast Burrito - stay for the conversation”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Nana Gails was recommended by locals while I was staying nearby in Windham, N.Y. for snow shoeing. For those who can't down hill or cross country ski, try snow shoeing, I guarantee you can do it.
Getting back to my review, Nana Gails is situated in an older turn of the century building, which adds to it's quaintness. Is it a locals place ? Witness the workers coming in for their morning coffee, catching the news on the tube or paper, and maybe ordering the morning special, because it's cheap or good, or maybe both, and they know it.
School kids waiting for the bus or for parents to chaperone them to their next activity. Sit back. Order coffee. Listen. A good place to ask for advice, directions and maybe gain a new perspective.
Breakfast was my first meal. A sausage Burrito with scrambled eggs, bit's of bacon, ham, onions and peppers. Wrapped in a toasted Burrito. Had a hint of Hotness. Not the kind that burns. A hotness of tomato salsa and spices that warms you and maybe is as good as the one you had in New Mexico.
A Breakfast Burrito that is as big as my fist. You will order the Burrito again. It's that good.
Days later, I return for lunch. The soup special is French Onion soup. Now, I am a connoisseur of french onion soup. Very few places make a great french onion.
French onion soup is a deep, dark brown beef broth made with beef bones, simmered till it's just right. Add sauteed onions, maybe cooking wine, lay toasted croutons across the top, and layer with GUYERE cheese. The Bowl of soup is then Broiled till the cheese melts and browns. Then the cheese can be cut or spooned, that's your preference, and you will taste beef broth, onions,
croutons, and melted cheese in one mouthful.
But it has to be Gruyere cheese. If you use mozzarella, you can almost stretch it to the ceiling before it breaks loose. Provolone is a little better, but it does not brown nicely. Swiss is better and has a more subtle taste. Some use two slices provolone and one slice Swiss.
How did Nana Gails version fare ? A deep, dark satisfying broth of beef and a touch of cooking sherry. Good onion flavor. A toasted crouton with a nice deep garlic flavor. The cheese, if I recall, was Swiss. Not Bad, but not original to the recipe. But, it was the best broth, onion, and toasted crouton I have tasted in a long time, maybe the best ever. Out of five stars, I would give this french onion 4 and a half stars, deducting half a point for the wrong, but very acceptable choice of cheese.
Here's a tip for you Chefs in hyper space. If Gruyere is not available , try this. Shredd swiss cheese into dish. Sprinkle a little white wine on top. Let sit about 15 minutes. Add to dish and melt. Should taste very close to Gruyere.
My next course was a grilled sour dough sandwich with cheddar cheese, bacon, avocado, and tomato.
Folks, he nailed it. All the ingredients blended perfectly together, yet I could taste each one separately. Sour Dough. Melted cheese. Crisp bacon . Avocado and tomato slices warmed, but not over cooked or mushy. You will never get a sandwich this good at a fast food outlet or on the Turnpike.
They had just put pies in the oven, so I missed out. The owner / chef came over and introduced him self. Turns out he grew up in the Catskills, left for Las Vegas to run casino kitchens for 15 years, grew tired of the corporate life, and returned home to open his own restaurant.
With food this good, I don't think he has to worry about the unemployment line.

• Visited February 2013