“THE place to stay in Rochester!”

Doubletree by Hilton Rochester
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Henrietta
Upstate NY
“THE place to stay in Rochester!”
Reviewed January 4, 2011

I travelled extensively throughout NYS for work for over 20 years, staying in many different hotels at all levels. This is one of my favorite hotels, for work or leisure. The location is central to everything (major highways, shopping, dining, movies, etc.), and it's easy to find. The lobby opens into a massive, six-story, glass atrium, scaled by glass elevators. The floor of the atrium contains a restaurant, attractive open lounge, pool and hot tub area, and workout room - a gorgeous and functional architechtural layout. The rooms are upscale, spacious, and quiet, with very comfortable beds. There is excellent lighting, and a very nice work area. The baths are light and elegant. The whole property is spotless and tidy.

For breakfast, there's a full, high-quality buffet, or guests may order from the menu. Lunch, dinner, and room service are available. For meetings, there are attractive conference and break-out rooms. The outside area is very well-lit and safe.

What sets this hotel apart from others is the hospitality of the staff, and I mean everyone at all levels. They aim to please; just ask. I can't think of a friendlier hotel. We've enjoyed every stay at the Doubletree.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed December 29, 2010

The Hotel was almost totally empty (2 cars in parking lot). We asked for a room, gave our reward number and was told "sign here", that's when I saw what the price was. I confirmed with the night manager, he said yes. I said every hotel in town is almost empty, I'll go elsewhere. He asked what's my budget? I said "how about $99" he said no. I said we'll go elsewhere. We went down the street and saved $150 for 1 night. The night manager wanted me not to notice the price.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank taxsun
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 22, 2010

Stayed at the hotel the week of December 19th. I had trouble with my heat (it was blowing cold air rather than warm). I called the CARE line and spoke with Alley. Alley set up the engineer who made a few adjustments and the system begin to blow heat. This only lasted for about 15 minutes and it stopped working again. I called the CARE line again and once again the engineer was sent up and the system was finally fixed. Both Alley (The CARE line representative) and the engineer apologized for the inconvience. In addition Alley sent up a nice tea service with warm cookies (delivered by Dave from room service). I felt that was a very thoughtful gesture. Both Alley and Dave was very friendly and I give KUDOS to both for their great customer service.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank RondaJS
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed October 14, 2010

We were traveling to Rochester for a youth hockey tourmanet and the Doubletree was one of the tournament hotels. A bit pricier than most, it didnt offer free breakfast and had double (not queen) beds, so I was skeptical at first, but the quality of the rooms and service put an end to that. We arrived at 11:30 and unlike an experience weeks earlier when we arrived 2 hours AFTER check-in and were told no rooms were ready, the Doubltreee staff was more than accomodating and checked us in immediately. We were very fortunate to be away from a floor on which many team families were staying and most importantly, to have a room that overlooked the atrium area. The street side room occupants were subject to jackhammering all night because of road consruction.
were subject to jackhammering all night due to construction on the adjacent road.
The players had a late game and we ordered pizza for dinner, which they allowed them to eat at large tables in the lobby and even provided plates, water, and cups. One VERY kind staff member actually brought me a sandwich after the kitchen had closed
Overall, the beds are quite comfortable, the rooms are clean, the pool/bar area are very nice, and the majority of the staff are even nicer, but definitely request an interior room for the best experience!

• Stayed October 2010
Hudson, NY
Reviewed September 29, 2010

Okay, maybe I've been on the road for work too often so am a bit grumpy and weary. I like Doubletree generally; this was my first stay at the one in Rochester. Big dramatic atrium and at the bottom . . . a very unstunning pool that is smaller than my backyard pool and too small (and L shaped) to do laps in. I didn't want to go in because it felt like hundreds of people would have me(!) as their view.

My room was updated and attractive. Very comfy bed, great sheets and comforter (I was remembering those dreadful years with the plastic fire retardant bed "covers"), and lots of pillows. The TV in my room was a big ol' clunker (vs. sleek flat screen) but I care not because I don't watch TV; this clunker just takes up a lot of counter space. Desk and chair are very good for working. Good lighting in the room.

Very nice bath with light in the shower so it was not dark as many hotel showers are. Water pressure fine. I like the curved shower rod which makes the shower larger. Neutrogena bath products -- middle of the road, but adequate. Nice touch that they posted a notice that if you forgot anything, such as toothpaste, deodorant, etc that you could call or come to the lobby to pick up gratis.

The windows do not open. I had an entirely unspectacular view of the busy road (and construction) the hotel abuts. (When I arrived I found that construction on Jefferson Road was blocking the entrance, and being new to the hotel, it took me some time among lots of traffic and turns to find another entrance. I said to the front desk clerk: might have been nice if you gave me a heads up on construction and the alternate entrance. His response: I didn't know; I drive from another direction. . . . Do I care?) Okay, I am grumpy.

I couldn't turn the AC down below 65 (I like it cold at night). Second night I called to complain and they sent up an "engineer" who opened up the wall unit to allow me to manually lower the temp. However, as with the night before, the fan stayed on constantly and I kept waking up thinking it was my alarm clock that wasn't quite tuned to a station.

Breakfast in a hurry on day 2 was a bummer. I couldn't abide another boring hotel buffet so ordered off the menu. And waited. Poached eggs arrived entirely undercooked so I sent them back. They seated me near the waitstaff work area so there was a lot of chatter, which I do not like to hear before 8 am and coffee(!) After 20 minutes I told the maitre d' I needed to leave. I didn't get breakfast included in my room rate but I thought I'd go there to grab a quick bite. Well, off to start my work day with only a cup of coffee.

Other cons: They charge $10/day for internet.
They didn't give me clean glasses when they cleaned my room.

The front desk staff were courteous enough -- even sometimes addressing me by name, which I like -- but when I tried to call down on night one for a wake up call, my phone didn't work, so I used my cell phone and told them the phone didn't work. They offered to provide a knock service but didn't offer to come fix my phone(!) I rated the hotel 3 stars for service because of the dreadful (non)breakfast experience and the lack of offer to fix my phone.

It would be nice if someone would detangle cords – phone & hair dryer.

Okay, they're not that bad and I'm grumpy. But still, traveling for work I feel should be a bit more comfortable (if not somewhat pampering). But I'll give it another try when I'm in Rochester.

BTW, I can't rate the hotel for value, because I get a special rate for work.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank counrygal
Canada
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Great hotel. Travelled with 2 young children. Pool and hot tub well maintained and lifeguard on duty which was great. Excellent buffet breakfast included. Front desk was very helpful. Some construction going on around the hotel but we were able to navigate. Would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2010
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed June 10, 2010

The hotel was very clean and the staff very accomodating. We celebrated two birthdays and staff provided knives and forks (real silverware) to cut and eat our cakes by the pool. Even though there was a large high school prom going on in the meeting rooms the hotel was quiet and we enjoyed our time at the pool. Our room was very clean. Pool (with lifeguard), large hot tub and fitness center along with open lounge with bar are on first floor. Only complaint is that the hotel does not provide free internet access in the rooms. They charge $9.95 a day for access, either wired or wireless. Supposedly there is free wireless in the lobby, but I never tried it. There are two PCs in the "business center" but when I tried to use them both were in use by Facebookers.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple