“Glad I didn't sleep here”

Microtel Inn by Wyndham Henrietta/Rochester
Ranked #15 of 17 Hotels in Henrietta
Ithaca, New York
“Glad I didn't sleep here”
Reviewed January 16, 2011

I am so glad I didn't have to sleep here. We came to Rochester for a wedding and live 2 hours away. Friends of ours had rented the room (non-refundable, prepaid) and were not able to attend due to the weather. They offered us their room to rest up and change in. Entering the lobby we were greeted by signs asking us to forgive the dust from remodeling, OK no problem. The first indication of what we were in for was the appearance of the desk clerk. Unkempt and surly would be a kind way to describe the individual who checked us in. We went to the room and the first thing I was was the urine in the toilet and all the hair on the bathroom floor. I thought the room might have already been rented but no. The walls and doors were chipped and stained. Multiple stains adorned the walls that would have been easily removed with a bit of soap and water. The chair in the room was disgusting. Many visible stains. I covered it with a towel (cheap, thin, and rough) before sitting on it. I was very, very glad I was just there to change and leave. No matter what the weather was I would not stay in that room, I would much rather drive the 2 hours home at 11PM than stay there. Whatever our friends paid for that room was too much and they deserve their money back.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 4, 2011

I stayed here about a year ago and never ended up reviewing it!

I was in town for a wedding and my partner had booked this hotel for about $50/night. I certainly had my reservations; usually . The hallways were a bit dimly lit and could have used an update. In fact, the motel in general could use a bit of a facelift, but for the price I was pleasantly surprised.

We have a young child to tote around and at the time we were juggling her pack 'n play, her stroller, and all of the other necessities of having an under-two-year-old. The staff was kind enough to grant us a wheelchair accessible room, which lended a bit more space to set up her equipment. The room was small, but that was to be expected. My partner and I enjoyed the mini-fridge and microwave provided with the room (something that a lot of higher-star hotels charge for!).

The breakfast buffet was standard and nothing to write home about, but we appreciated the notion. The staff was pleasant and accommodating.

All in all, I would recommend this establishment for someone just looking to get in and out of the area with a good night's sleep and no hassle.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
N. Michigan
Reviewed November 27, 2010

It was more like sleeping in a compartment. Really small and tight. I believe they did clean it once this year. Bed was comfortable but floors and ugh the bath was not clean at all. Their diner for free breakfast was really crap. Terrible coffee, terrible orange juice, hard to screw up a bagle, but they really do need to clean up at least once a week. If they clean more than that, they should fire the staff and start over. Will not return and will question if I ever stay at a Micromotel again. Had to take turns getting out of bed so we would not run into each other.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Horseheads, New York
Reviewed October 30, 2010

The room has the ammenities that most motels have. The room was a little smaller than most motel rooms that I have stayed. Very clean and pleasant attmosphere. It was right in the middle of all the shops and stores. It was easy to find and great customer service!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed September 29, 2010

I was visiting the Rochester area for the weekend and stayed at this Microtel based on its location and the fact that it was within my price range. Overall, it was an okay place to sleep but was a bit expensive for what it was. When I first arrived, there were a couple of people (I'm assuming they were employees) smoking outside near the entrance. The person who checked me in was polite, but he was just wearing casual clothes (a t-shirt and jeans) and wasn't wearing appropriate work attire for someone on duty at a hotel.

No complaints about the room itself. The bed was very comfortable, and the room was clean. I did get a good night's sleep. Breakfast in the morning was all right, but I was bummed that they didn't have the make-your-own Belgian waffles like a lot of other hotels have.

I would have been happier if the room rate was about $20 cheaper than what it was. I felt that it was maybe worth $70 for the night rather than $90. But I guess given the fact that most other hotels in the area were more expensive than that, I guess it was okay.

If you're looking for a no-frills place to stay and get a good night's, the Microtel is all right. Just don't expect a whole lot for what you're paying for.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Rochester, New York
Reviewed September 29, 2010

The room which was small and smelled of urine and cigarette smoke ( non smoking). You get what you pay for and the price was cheap! I have stayed in countless crappy hotels all over the world and this hotel actually made me miss central Africa! Usually you are kept awake by other guests, this is the first time I was kept awake because of the noisy employees. Next time I will pay twice the price to stay elsewhere so I can get a decent nights sleep.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Montreal
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I have stayed here many times and always found it to be a reasonable place. We booked 5 nights well in advance and the average price was $60/night, tax included (and phone calls to US and Canada are free). Nice breakfast room with reasonable selection.
Bathroom is getting a bit worn, but quite clean with lots of good towels.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business