RIT Inn & Conference Center
$136
$128
$59
$103
All reviewsstrong hospitalwest winglifeguard on dutyexercise equipmentmini fridgeindoor poolcomfortable roomsfloor roomworked finecheck in was quickfront desk stafflots of parkingnys thruwayhot tublow priceshower headconvenient location
Reviewed July 31, 2008

We stayed at RIT Inn as recommended when be scheduled my daughters campus tour. The hotel staff was friendly and very accommodating but they seemed equally frustrated by the inconveniences of renovations. I later learned that RIT has recently acquired this property and are doing major renovations. I imagine that when complete, the property will be great. However, be aware that under current conditions, I would not recommend more than a one night stay. We learned after arrival that there are other hotels that are more convenient to campus. There was construction dirt throughout. The construction workers were very friendly and appologetic. The room itself was reasonably clean, However, neither my daughter or I wanted to use the shower due to the significantly chipped enamel in the tub and the bathroom floor grout needs much attention. While the hotel advertises wireless access, we learned that it was unavailable in the rooms due to the construction. The lobby was wireless and later in the evening, the hotel staff provided a cable connection and managed to turn on internet in the room. An evening search for ice sent me on a scavenger hunt. Following the sign nearest our room fell empty. I did eventually discover ice and vending in another part of the building and also discovered the conference side of the property which looked quite nice. If this is an indication of what is to come, it has promise. My recommendation is to ask a few extra questions before booking your reservation. They do offer an attractive RIT rate.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 7, 2008

My family and I stayed at the RIT Inn and Conference Center while my husband was a patient at Strong Memorial. I was very apprehensive after reading some of the negative reviews posted. The hotel had clean attractive rooms. The staff was wonderful and went out of their way to make us feel comfortable during this difficult time. The shuttle to the hospital is a godsend. The food is inexpensive and served cafe style. I have nothing but positive things to say about our experience here. If you are a family member of a patient at Strong you will find the RIT Inn and Conference Center a welcoming haven.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed February 16, 2008

Let's start with the good news:

There is a free and fast wired internet connection. Nice gym with treadmills, bike, (broken) eliptical, and free weights Lifeguarded pool and hot tub The self-serve cafeteria makes decent food, quickly and it is inexpensive. The shuttle service to the airport or the surrounding shopping (there is NOTHING close to the hotel) is great.
Fridge (too noisy to leave plugged-in) and microwave in the room The people who work in the hotel are extremely pleasant.

Unfortunately, this cannot compensate for things like: Black mold in the bathroom No information in the room describing the hotel Soft and worn-out mattresses Televisions without clear reception Cracks in the ceiling of the rooms Disgusting body fluid stains on the furniture Terribly uncomfortable and worn-out chairs at high desks Paper thin walls and doors so it feels like you are in an open dorm at times

As mentioned above, the hotel is in the middle of nowhere. There is virtually nothing within walking distance. If you are driving, it is very close to the 390 interstate and only 15 minutes from the airport.

The people are nice, so we really wanted it to be great but they can't compensate for a completely inadequate physical infrastructure.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank GregH2
Reviewed October 8, 2007

The air conditioning didn't work, the lamp between the beds didn't work and the fan in the bathroom didn't work. When I informed the woman working the desk her reply was "OK." Apparently all of those deficiencies are routine.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ldooneNewYork
Reviewed August 20, 2007

Room was not ready when we arrived, finally checked in and found the room had not been cleaned, especially the bathroom, pubic hair and other miscellaneous hairs in the shower and sink. Our daughters were freaked out. We asked to have only the bathroom cleaned, even the the whole floor was dirty, left to visit my family, returned to the room after 5 hours and found it was not cleaned, same old hairs still staring up at us. Asked for another room and was given one, no problem with that. It was on the corner by the outside entrance, #3 I believe. The lock on the outside door did not work, so anyone could wander if they wanted.

The Country Inn, the Fairfield, and Comfort Suites are all within a mile or or so. We normally stay at the the Comfort Suites, but I got cheap and learned my lesson. You get what you pay for. RIT could spend some of their crazy tuition $$$ and make this place very nice, it does have potential.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family