“beware of renovations”

Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Henrietta
connecticut
“beware of renovations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2008

We stayed at RIT Inn as recommended when be scheduled my daughters campus tour. The hotel staff was friendly and very accommodating but they seemed equally frustrated by the inconveniences of renovations. I later learned that RIT has recently acquired this property and are doing major renovations. I imagine that when complete, the property will be great. However, be aware that under current conditions, I would not recommend more than a one night stay. We learned after arrival that there are other hotels that are more convenient to campus. There was construction dirt throughout. The construction workers were very friendly and appologetic. The room itself was reasonably clean, However, neither my daughter or I wanted to use the shower due to the significantly chipped enamel in the tub and the bathroom floor grout needs much attention. While the hotel advertises wireless access, we learned that it was unavailable in the rooms due to the construction. The lobby was wireless and later in the evening, the hotel staff provided a cable connection and managed to turn on internet in the room. An evening search for ice sent me on a scavenger hunt. Following the sign nearest our room fell empty. I did eventually discover ice and vending in another part of the building and also discovered the conference side of the property which looked quite nice. If this is an indication of what is to come, it has promise. My recommendation is to ask a few extra questions before booking your reservation. They do offer an attractive RIT rate.

• Liked — staff tried to be accommodating
  • Disliked — construction inconveniences
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2008

My family and I stayed at the RIT Inn and Conference Center while my husband was a patient at Strong Memorial. I was very apprehensive after reading some of the negative reviews posted. The hotel had clean attractive rooms. The staff was wonderful and went out of their way to make us feel comfortable during this difficult time. The shuttle to the hospital is a godsend. The food is inexpensive and served cafe style. I have nothing but positive things to say about our experience here. If you are a family member of a patient at Strong you will find the RIT Inn and Conference Center a welcoming haven.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Calgary
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2008

Let's start with the good news:

There is a free and fast wired internet connection. Nice gym with treadmills, bike, (broken) eliptical, and free weights Lifeguarded pool and hot tub The self-serve cafeteria makes decent food, quickly and it is inexpensive. The shuttle service to the airport or the surrounding shopping (there is NOTHING close to the hotel) is great.
Fridge (too noisy to leave plugged-in) and microwave in the room The people who work in the hotel are extremely pleasant.

Unfortunately, this cannot compensate for things like: Black mold in the bathroom No information in the room describing the hotel Soft and worn-out mattresses Televisions without clear reception Cracks in the ceiling of the rooms Disgusting body fluid stains on the furniture Terribly uncomfortable and worn-out chairs at high desks Paper thin walls and doors so it feels like you are in an open dorm at times

As mentioned above, the hotel is in the middle of nowhere. There is virtually nothing within walking distance. If you are driving, it is very close to the 390 interstate and only 15 minutes from the airport.

The people are nice, so we really wanted it to be great but they can't compensate for a completely inadequate physical infrastructure.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Rooms and furniture
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank GregH2
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2007

The air conditioning didn't work, the lamp between the beds didn't work and the fan in the bathroom didn't work. When I informed the woman working the desk her reply was "OK." Apparently all of those deficiencies are routine.

• Liked — location to Nazareth College
  • Disliked — air conditioning, bathroom fan and lamp didn't work
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ldooneNewYork
State College, Pa.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2007

Room was not ready when we arrived, finally checked in and found the room had not been cleaned, especially the bathroom, pubic hair and other miscellaneous hairs in the shower and sink. Our daughters were freaked out. We asked to have only the bathroom cleaned, even the the whole floor was dirty, left to visit my family, returned to the room after 5 hours and found it was not cleaned, same old hairs still staring up at us. Asked for another room and was given one, no problem with that. It was on the corner by the outside entrance, #3 I believe. The lock on the outside door did not work, so anyone could wander if they wanted.

The Country Inn, the Fairfield, and Comfort Suites are all within a mile or or so. We normally stay at the the Comfort Suites, but I got cheap and learned my lesson. You get what you pay for. RIT could spend some of their crazy tuition $$$ and make this place very nice, it does have potential.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Not clean
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank agm11
toronto, ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2007

Spouse and I with our 2 children stayed here at the RIT Inn when we were on a trip to Rochester because of Henrietta's (where the RIT Inn is situated) close proximity. It is near the highway and accessible.

The hotel looked old from the outside and felt hesitant when we were driving to the parking lot. We changed our minds when we checked-in as the staff were friendly and helpful, and the room was clean and comfortable. The pool was a welcome feature too.

For a short stay, this hotel is OK. Would I stay there again? I will but probably check out other hotels nearby.

• Liked — Clean
  • Disliked — Looked quite old on the outside
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
Bay Area, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2007

First, the reduced-rate program this hotel has with Strong Hospital is a godsend. Patient families can reserve through the hospital's Guest Services department at about $40 a night. The room is definitely worth that much and more. If you like indoor and outdoor swimming pools and a gym, those are pluses here. The rooms themselves are quite nice. Comfortable beds, a desk with free internet service, nice TV and HBO. Good size bathroom. There is an upscale restaurant, though I've never seen a single person in it. There is a less expensive option with a limited, but okay, menu. It's open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Lots of nearby restaurants. There is also a laundry room for guests: $1 per wash load and dryers free. Where my recommendation becomes more difficult is in the area of cleanliness. The rooms are clean, but it is not always easy to have your room cleaned within the amount of time you are out. The public areas of the hotel need to be cleaned much better and much more often. The hallways smell heavily of smoke, even on non-smoking floors. The elevators and hallways need vacuuming more frequently and other floors need to be mopped. I had to call the front desk to tell them someone's room service tray had been sitting out by an elevator for two days -- even though the cleaning staff walked by the same tray many times a day. While the noise wasn't bad at all the first week here, it has become quite noisy the past few days as RIT students start school. Part of the hotel is used for dorm rooms. Last night I was awake from 2 to 5 a.m. due to noise in the hallways and the room over mine. RIT students apparently work here as part of the hotel management curriculum. While the front desk people have been very nice, I don't get a particularly professional sense -- sort of the feeling that the parents are away and the kids are in charge. I was shocked upon check in to find out that, in this hotel that serves hospital patients and families, asbestos work was being done on the roof. There were warning signs posted once you were indoors. Seems like something that should be told in advance to people making reservations. When this hotel is full, the Quality Inn on Chili Avenue also has the $40 rate for Strong families. If high level cleanliness is important to you, you may want to see if Strong can book you there instead of here. This hotel really helped my brother and I, so I feel kinda bad saying some negatives things, but I want to tell the truth. I know I appreciate honesty on this travel site.

• Liked — special rate for hospital patient families
  • Disliked — cleanliness and student noise
  • Stayed August 2007