“You Get What You Pay For”

RIT Inn & Conference Center
Ranked #14 of 17 Hotels in Henrietta
“You Get What You Pay For”
Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

The only good thing I can say about my stay is the rooms were very clean & the bed was comfy. Otherwise this was a horrible place to stay! The TV had very poor reception, half the lights in the room were not working, there were 2 fire alarms where we had to evacuate that were a result of a guest tampering with a smoke detector, the walls are paper thin, multiple dirty room service trays outside rooms for greater than 12 hours. And how did the staff respond...a shrug of the shoulders and a mumbled "sorry." Will NEVER stay here again!

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank dmh1781

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Watkins Glen
Reviewed November 22, 2012

The RIT Inn was very good to us this trip. Our son was at Strong Hospital for 12 days and we could not afford to be there with him on such a long term basis. This hotel offered us $40 a night room with free van service to and from the hospital as well as any other place. Being from out of town, we appreciated the transport. Also free was the use of the laundry facility. There were two restaurants, one expensive where we did not eat and one reasonable where we ate each day at least once. We were given two $3 vouchers each day to use at either restaurant. Our room was neat and spacious. It did have a strange odor, but I got used to it after a while. Not sure what it was. My stay was quiet and safe. It was just what I needed. I had my Mac laptop so I was able to get free use of the wired internet in my room. I got what I paid for!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Marianne M
Albany, New York
Reviewed November 3, 2012

When you first walk into this place it looks fairly nice. That is where is ends, I stayed there last evening in a room on the 5th floor. The odor in the room was absolutely horrendous . It smelled like someone thre up. I called the front desk but no one answered the phone. I talked to another guest on the same floor and their room had the same smell. Does management or housekeeping not notice this stench? The hotel is not for the average guest. They have only one bell cart for the entire hotel or at least that was what I was told. I had to make several trips to get things in my room. The elevators are very small and eztremely slow. The food is much to be desired ..,if you have to stay here leave and go to an outside restaurant . Food is poor quality. Although staff was nice not very motivated, here is another good reason to stay away ... No wi fi in rooms! I was absolutely shocked and did not discover this until I walked in my smelly room. The woman at the front desk acknowledged it is a common complaint and she understood my frustration. Take technology out of the name of this place. It is a joke! The hotel should be embarrassed that it does not offer wifi. I had my iPad so I was not able to hard wire and lost valuable work time. I will never stay at this place again. It is not a quality place, service is substandard, and you get the impression managaement does not care. I can still smell that putrid smell and makes me gag each time I think about it. Worst stay ever and caution others who want hight standard and cleanliness to stay away from the RIT Conference Center,

Room Tip: The rooms have a horrible stench don't stay here.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Jason S
Connecticur
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I stayed at the RIT Inn while dropping my child off at college. At the time, I was comparing it to the nearby Country Inn & Suites and I found it didn't come out so well by comparison - shabby looking, no free continental breakfast. Since then, I have stayed at the nearby Microtel and found out how dirty a hotel can be. The RIT Inn is in a good location, with helpful staff and while shabby with an odd smell, it was an acceptable place to stay. Even with the RIT pricing, it wasn't cheaper than the discount pricing I found on line for nicer hotels.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Wandererplus
Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This is the second time I've stayed at the RIT Inn while visiting my daughter at college. The staff was very nice and the rooms were wonderful. Everything seemed to be clean. We did have one incident with a leaky toilet but the maintenance staff was right on it. 2-1/2 more years at college for my daughter and many more stays for us!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
santa Clara, CA
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The RIT Inn has a split personality. During the semesters of the Rochester Institute of Technology, it allocates some of its inventory as a dorm for college students.

The place seems to be geared to events and weddings, but not suited for ordinary guests that seek a normal hotel experience. This is my third stay for an annual conference, and the food service experience has been dismal each time. The much lauded Petals coffee shop is basically a walk up counter in a cafeteria where an unmotivated employee will take your order for mostly fried food and call when it is ready, you then carry it to the cashier to pay, if there is one in attendance, or pay later. Or you may find a sign that says that there is no hot food available for lunch. Or you may be directed to a refrigerated case where you can buy a pre-made salad, wilted and selected from a bucnh of undated salads, or you may find it closed in the middle of the day.... you get the idea.

I have given polite and factual feedback to management on three different visits, each time received a meaningless boiler plate response, but it is clear that they do not care enough to make changes.

The strangest defect is that they do not have reliable WiFi in the rooms, with a lame excuse that it is the brick walls that impede reception. This place is owned by the Rochester insititute of Technology. ( Yes, Technology!)

I am sorry that I will miss a favorite conference in future, but I will not be back.

Room Tip: This is a sprawling establishment, and you may have to walk some distance from your room to the lobb...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank travelpossum
RITInn, Director of Sales at RIT Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Good Afternoon,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us in August. I was suprised to hear that you feel the RIT Inn & Conference Center has a "split personality." You indicated you were here for a conference in August. May I ask what conference you were here for? We pride ourselves with our hospitality and our numerous repeat guests and would hate to lose you as our annual guest.
We host many conferences and conventions throughout the year as well as many guests traveling into Rochester. It's rare for us to receive any complaints on our level of service and food served in Petals and Charades. May I ask specifically what you weren't satisfied with in terms of food? We offer a variety of options in Petals including fresh salads, grilled chicken wraps, vegetable burgers, several options for breakfast and many more healthy items.
We do host RIT students in one area of our Hotel during the school year. We make sure that we provide food options that are targeted to those student as well as all of our other guests. We did have one annual conference in August where the group wanted concession like food to be set in our conference space, which included hamburgers and other grilled features. Were you attending that conference?
I'm really sorry that you didn't enjoy your time with us while you were in Rochester. Is there a possibility that you can stay with us again? I certainly want to correct any negative issues that you have and hope that you will again return.
If at all possible, please email me directly. Again, I'm the Director of Sales & Marketing. Vanessa Greene, vagapt@rit.edu
Fleetwood, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 14, 2012

For the first time I stayed at the RIT Inn & Conference Center and I'm glad I did! My friend and I and our three children stayed there last Thursday through Saturday nights. I will warn you that if you use a navigation system you MUST put in W Henrietta for the street address and you MUST put in West Henrietta for the town or else you will keep ending up on East Henrietta Street. I could not figure out why we kept getting turned around but when I called explaining that I kept being turned around by the navigation system, Melinda at the front desk immediately put two and two together and told me what to put into the system and viola, we were there within minutes. Our check in was efficient and the kids loved the place, especially two pools! It was rainy on every occasion we had to swim so the indoor pool was a blessing and it only goes to 5 feet so even our youngest two felt safe and were confident to swim the entire length of the pool. My friend and I were thrilled with the hot tub and I have to tell you that if you get Tate as a life guard then you'll know your kids are safe! Tate was always on his feet, he introduced himself to us, asked what room we were in and how many of us there were and it made both of us, as Moms feel confident that our children were in capable hands. At one point I couldn't find something in my room and Melinda immediately had security run a key check on our door to see if anyone besides us and housekeeping had been in our room and then also left a message for our housekeeper to call in so they could ask her if she'd noticed anything in our room. They even offered to have their van drive me to the store if needed and I was impressed with their quick action and obvious caring. Turns out I found what I'd lost; I'm still not sure if the housekeeper moved it when straightening the room or if I just spaced out but regardless, I was impressed with their willingness to be helpful. Our room and bathroom were always clean, we always had plenty of towels, we slept like babies, they have ice machines centrally located and everywhere I was within their property was very clean. Their service was quick and efficient and we were always greeted by employees. We felt very welcome and would definitely go back. Thank you again Melinda, Tate and everyone who made our stay pleasant and welcoming!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends